Freego Eagle. Error code 30

auzr66

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2023
Hi All, please can you advise.
I have an error code 30 on the display. Lights work but nothing else.
I have checked a few previous posts and as suggested started fault finding by confirming the 5 volt rail. I have 40 odd volts going into the controller but only 0.5 volts when measured at the pcb's 5 v pins.
Is this game over for the controller? Could another controller and display be fitted?
The motor has a 9 pin connector.

Many thanks,
Mike

5483720231029_110318.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes if only seeing 0.5v from the 5v rail then it has failed.
One can use any display and compatible controller pairing though you may have to carry out some minor wiring changes with the PAS and throttle is used.
Tbh your best to spend £80 - £100 and get a KT controller and LCD also as the periperals are cheap and to guarantee plug and play buy a PAS and throttle if required as a kit, then there is no wiring messing about.

Alternately if you are handy with a solder iron keep the PAS and throttle and simply solder and insulate the wires together.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Firstly, nothing happens for no reason, so tell us what caused the fault. What did you change and what were you doing when the fault first occurred?

Second, no, it doesn't mean that your controller is U/S, but it might. If you get 0.5v on the 5v rail, there are two main possibilities that can be separate or combined. You either have a short on the 5v rail somewhere, which is most likely, or your 5v regulator is blown. The short can cause the regulator to blow.

As always, you guys never show what's needed. It's the component side of the pcb we need to see.

First thing to do is to disconnect everything from the controller except the battery and the control panel, then switch on and test the 5v again. That will show if you have a short somewhere holding down the 5v.

auzr66

Oct 29, 2023
Firstly, nothing happens for no reason, so tell us what caused the fault. What did you change and what were you doing when the fault first occurred?

Second, no, it doesn't mean that your controller is U/S, but it might. If you get 0.5v on the 5v rail, there are two main possibilities that can be separate or combined. You either have a short on the 5v rail somewhere, which is most likely, or your 5v regulator is blown. The short can cause the regulator to blow.

As always, you guys never show what's needed. It's the component side of the pcb we need to see.

First thing to do is to disconnect everything from the controller except the battery and the control panel, then switch on and test the 5v again. That will show if you have a short somewhere holding down the 5v.

auzr66

Oct 29, 2023
Thanks Saneagle, the advice of removing all other components and retesting to see if another part is dragging the 5v rail down is sound advice.
I didn't attach the photo of the pcb component side as its buried with wires, but as you asked here it is.
I was given the bike by a family member, so have no idea of the previous history.
Will explore the voltage regulator option if there is no improvement.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks Saneagle, the advice of removing all other components and retesting to see if another part is dragging the 5v rail down is sound advice.
I didn't attach the photo of the pcb component side as its buried with wires, but as you asked here it is.
I was given the bike by a family member, so have no idea of the previous history.
Will explore the voltage regulator option if there is no improvement.
View attachment 54839
You can see the big resistor on the left end looks a bit burnt. That's a sign that the 5v has been overloaded, though the overload could also be on the 12v rail.

Can't you ask the family member what happened?

Advertisers