Freego Eagle questions

Rozovy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2016
Recently bought a 16Ah Freego Eagle. Good runner, good climber but some issues have arisen.
1) Can't get into lowest gear.
2) Some chain slip/looseness in top gear.
3) While changing down, I have to push gear lever forward to move down 2-3 gears, release, then press again to change down further and repeat to get into next to lowest . Is this normal on Freegos? Lowest gear will not engage.
4) Under 115 miles in total (some miles on clock from test rides at shop, so probably considerably under 115) and now on 4th charge up. Hilly territory (Cumbria), a good deal of level 5 (with 3 and some 4), but nevertheless seems a low range for a bike with reputed high range.
5) Charged a few days ago, left in garage (cold). Upon switch on LED display flashed weakly, then nothing. Tried again 3-4 times and no better, Took out, rode as push bike for several metres, booted up again and all OK. Depressed charge test button on the battery - red light + 1 green light, which means charged but not fully - this a few days after a full charge and intervening outing. Then rode OK about 1hr, hilly, much on 5. Took bike out again mainly on lvel 3, less hilly route, and battery flattened at end of ride. These were around town rides, so no more than few miles each (ca 15 max. together). This does not seem right.
7) When battery charger indicates charged (green light goes on), If I unplug charger from battery, then plug in again, the battery will take more charge before green light goes on again). Normal?
6) Battery very, very stiff in mounting. Have not been able to withdraw to charge separately.

Post purchase free service is due soon. but any tips would be appreciated.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like the rear mech is out of whack and needs indexing re setting up in line with the cassette.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Recently bought a 16Ah Freego Eagle. Good runner, good climber but some issues have arisen.
1) Can't get into lowest gear.
2) Some chain slip/looseness in top gear.
3) While changing down, I have to push gear lever forward to move down 2-3 gears, release, then press again to change down further and repeat to get into next to lowest . Is this normal on Freegos? Lowest gear will not engage.
4) Under 115 miles in total (some miles on clock from test rides at shop, so probably considerably under 115) and now on 4th charge up. Hilly territory (Cumbria), a good deal of level 5 (with 3 and some 4), but nevertheless seems a low range for a bike with reputed high range.
5) Charged a few days ago, left in garage (cold). Upon switch on LED display flashed weakly, then nothing. Tried again 3-4 times and no better, Took out, rode as push bike for several metres, booted up again and all OK. Depressed charge test button on the battery - red light + 1 green light, which means charged but not fully - this a few days after a full charge and intervening outing. Then rode OK about 1hr, hilly, much on 5. Took bike out again mainly on lvel 3, less hilly route, and battery flattened at end of ride. These were around town rides, so no more than few miles each (ca 15 max. together). This does not seem right.
7) When battery charger indicates charged (green light goes on), If I unplug charger from battery, then plug in again, the battery will take more charge before green light goes on again). Normal?
6) Battery very, very stiff in mounting. Have not been able to withdraw to charge separately.

Post purchase free service is due soon. but any tips would be appreciated.
If the bike has 115 miles on it, your gear issue is probably run in. The Eagle has a very long outer and inner back to the mech. A six week follow up service is usually necessary and complimentary at most shop. The follow up service should be done with at least 100 to 150 mile on the bike.The shop you got your bike from should address this for free regardless.

Lithium batteries work best at 20C. They hate the cold and are at their worst at temperatures at or below freezing and above 40C. This time of year I never leave my battery outside charged or not. Even when I keep it inside, I notice a drop in performance within two or three miles on frosty mornings on my way to work. As well, you probably will not get the same kind of range as you will once things warm up a bit. I see a 10 mile loss on my battery, in cold weather, that will easily do 40 in the summer.

If you are only getting one green light after an over night charge (inside the house) you have a battery problem. Your shop should deal with this under warranty. Wiping the metal slide for your battery with some oil on a rag should make battery exit and entry much smoother. Again if it does not improve your shop should be able to make adjustments.

Hope this helps :)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You may also have a faulty charger. Does the charger get warm (or even "hot") when you charge? - it should.
Your gear issues will take just a few minutes to solve, but you could try turning the capstan adjuster on the derailleur anti-clockwise 1 or 2 turns.
Really, you should pop in for that free service and have the charger checked.

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
You may also have a faulty charger. Does the charger get warm (or even "hot") when you charge? - it should.
Your gear issues will take just a few minutes to solve, but you could try turning the capstan adjuster on the derailleur anti-clockwise 1 or 2 turns.
Really, you should pop in for that free service and have the charger checked.
Fully agree with the charger possibly being at fault. This can be easily checked by the dealer but will require you to leave the battery and charger with them over night.

Last edited:

Rozovy

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks to all.
Overnight charge has brought 1 green light on and 3 bars on LED.
Charger hardly warm, albeit on cold floor of cold room. will leave another few hours.
Sorry, Bob, but what is acapstan adjuster?
The dealer is obliging and I hope it will get sorted
I tried to free up the battery, but so far it's not for shifting.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks to all.
Overnight charge has brought 1 green light on and 3 bars on LED.
Charger hardly warm, albeit on cold floor of cold room. will leave another few hours.
Sorry, Bob, but what is acapstan adjuster?
The dealer is obliging and I hope it will get sorted
I tried to free up the battery, but so far it's not for shifting.
To set up the gears properly takes a little skill (easily learned), but this may be a quick fix...
Turn clockwise to help onto higher gears, to the left to help onto lower gears.

Attachments

Rozovy

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks Bob
Charger still cold. Bettery and LED as were, but charger light now red after unplugging from mains and from bettery and replugging in!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The shift down of no more than two or three gears at a time is normal for Shimano trigger shifters, it's what they are designed to do.

I agree with the two previous posters who felt that the charge and range problems could well be due to a faulty charger, cutting out early. Raise that with the dealer when you submit the bike for service, and it might be an idea to submit the charger as well at that time.

Reactions: Emo Rider

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks Bob
Charger still cold. Bettery and LED as were, but charger light now red after unplugging from mains and from bettery and replugging in!
Is this the first time you've noticed the red light on the charger? I mean, the first time it has become red?

Rozovy

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the info on the gears, Flecc.
Bob, I will take a look at the capstan and see if I can adjust it.
The charger shows red initially on charging and should go green only when fully charged. Mine has been going green before full charge was loaded. If I unplugged charger at battery and plugged in again the charger would at times go back to red and the battery would take more charge. The charger would remain cold.
However, about a hour ago I unplugged from battery and from mains feed cable, reinserted both and light went back to red and has been charging since. The charger is now for the first time getting warm. So maybe some teething problems.
I will wait and see on that, hope to sort out the gears and thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: Stormbush

Rozovy

Feb 3, 2016
Done 8 miles in all today on apparent full charge (2 green lights on battery, all bars on 5 on LED). Terrain flat, minor rises, some short sharp brows and two longer climbs (2/3 mile and 1/3 mile), with return on same hill section.

Battery now showing 1 green light, LED on level 5 ranging from all bars to 2 bars.

Trip done on level 5 (highest assistance), and some brief throttle burst for start up and hill assistance..

Noticed some stalling when starting on throttle on steepish hill. This occurred once, but no problem on repeat trial of same hill. The stalling has happened before, on low battery, or when hill just too steep.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks btw for the video. soundwave.

Last edited:

Cooper

Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
You've got five levels of assistance? The Eagle and the Regency are not the same, then. I only have three.

The battery meter will plummet when it's under load; on mine, even a freshly charged battery will drop to one or two bars going up a steep hill. It rebounds on the level to a more accurate measurement.

And -- I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure someone here will correct me if it isn't -- the dealer told me either use the throttle or the pedals, but not both at once. Also, never use the throttle from a dead stop, especially not on a hill. It's just too much on the motor.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
You've got five levels of assistance? The Eagle and the Regency are not the same, then. I only have three.

The battery meter will plummet when it's under load; on mine, even a freshly charged battery will drop to one or two bars going up a steep hill. It rebounds on the level to a more accurate measurement.

And -- I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure someone here will correct me if it isn't -- the dealer told me either use the throttle or the pedals, but not both at once. Also, never use the throttle from a dead stop, especially not on a hill. It's just too much on the motor.
You can be pedaling and over ride the pedaling with the throttle with no ill effects. It says right in the Freego manual not to attemp steep hills with just the throttle or risk damaging the system. If it is the newer Eagle with the black motor and digital display, they area big improvement over the older version. Much quieter and a bit more power. I like the fact that they continue to upgrade their kit and holding the line on prices.

Reactions: Cooper