Freego hawk battery

chris1959

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2019
Can any one help me please i need a new
36v 10.44amp battery for my bike. I live in somerset and cant seem to locate one.I tried my local shop in Wellington Kings Cycles but had no joy I went in twice but they never got back to me .As Freego no longer trade any help would be most helpful. Its a Freego hawk 2017 model

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
What's happened to your old battery? 2 years is not long to be needing a replacement. If it's developed a fault, it may be fixable. I have seen 3 Freego batteries with bad internal solder joints causing total power loss that have just needed simple re-soldering.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you show us a picture of the battery because they used a couple of different ones?

You can get it repaired by www.ebikebatteries.co.uk, who will come and collect it, then return it to you for anything up to about £250, depending on what's wrong.

Second alternative is that you can buy a replacement Silver fish battery for £150 to £200 from ebay.

Third alternative if you or a friend know anything about electrics and can solder, you can replace the contents yourself for about £100 to £150. You can buy the contents as a unit from Ebay or Aliexpress.

Finally, you can buy a direct replacement battery from E-bikesdirect for £350.

chris1959

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2019
Thanks everybody the messages so far - i've managed to take some pictures and have put them below.

The battery just dies after about a mile from fully charged, i'm not sure why

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The battery you have is generic cased one known as a SIlverfish and is available from ebay and other places, you can by any 36v one of any AH capacity.
From what you say either a cell or parallel string of cells has died or has a bad connection, if you are capable of tinkering or have a friend who can then VFR's suggestion might be a cheap fix and you would have nothing to lose by having a look. We can guide you in opening and checking the battery for possible issues.
Four years or more of good use should easily be managed from lion celled batteries.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That is the newer style Freego battery which has a different base plate to the generic Silverfish case. A Silverfish should fit, check dimensions, but you would need to get one complete with base plate and rail.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Four years or more of good use should easily be managed from lion celled batteries.
That seems a little optimistic in my view and experience. But I cover a lot of miles tbf. And there are batteries made of Chinese junk cells vs those of quality branded ones.

I think a good rule is a new battery every 2/3 years. 4 is pushing expectations (my view alone)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is the newer style Freego battery which has a different base plate to the generic Silverfish case. A Silverfish should fit, check dimensions, but you would need to get one complete with base plate and rail.
Nearly all the Silverfish ones I see for sale inc the fitting kit and the charger.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That seems a little optimistic in my view and experience. But I cover a lot of miles tbf. And there are batteries made of Chinese junk cells vs those of quality branded ones.

I think a good rule is a new battery every 2/3 years. 4 is pushing expectations (my view alone)
My 29e's Kirstin are both over 5 years old now. A few years ago when I derestricted the GSM, it appeared that the cells /batteries did suffer and lost a bit of capacity but they are still going quite well and still give me over 30 miles of range but I have to use them in PAS 2 only. Which is about the most I need to use them for in town and commuting, I reckon a I will get another couple years out of them yet. Decent cells if not abused should last I believe at least 4 years if a good charging regime is applied as well.

Reactions: KirstinS

chris1959

Just Joined
Nov 10, 2019
Thank you all for your help i have decided to by a new one which i have just ordered without you're help i wouldn't have had a clue what a good group Thanks again Chris