Freego Hawk - Err 30 and no response from motor

JeremyColley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2018
Hi
My Freego Hark has stopped working - no assisted power from the motor and the display shows Err 30. It showed Err 30 for a few days but still continued to work. Now it is completely unresponsive.

When I switch on, the display comes on for a about 5 seconds and flashes (as if its trying to determine the battery voltage) and then goes blank except for the ERR 30 message.

I've checked all connections - unplugged and plugged back in and I opened up the controller box, but could see nothing untoward - however, the blue resistor on the PCB was very hot. The controller box is a heat sink, so perhaps this is normal..?

Anyhow, what should I look at next? Is there a way to test the motor independently from the handlebar display and the controller box? I'd like to know what to look for rather than replace components willy-nilly

Thanks
Jeremy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The big resistor does get hot in some controllers, but it can also be an indication that there's a problem on the 5V rail. You need to check the voltage between the red and black wires on the PAS, throttle or motor hall contectors. If you have the sealed connectors, open the controller and probe the ends where they're soldered to the PCB.

If you don't get around 5v, unplug those connectors one by one until you find which device is puling it down.

JeremyColley

Nov 6, 2018
Hi - thanks for the prompt response. I'll have a look inside the controller box - I don't have sealed connectors but without knowing what each pin is for I won't be able to test them. What does 'PAS' stand for - is that the pedal assist sensor on the crank?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
PAS = pedal assist sensor. All black wires are common ground. Any red wire on the throttle, PAS or motor connectors is 5v.

JeremyColley

Nov 6, 2018
A small success - I don't have my multi meter with me but what I did was to unplug all the connectors and plug them back together again. I still have the ERR 30 message but the motor is working now. I'll measure the voltages over the weekend and will post back the results. ps - the motor is quite noisy and I have no control over the speed - it is on max all the time now

Advertisers