Freego Martin sport eBike help/user manual needed please.

simonluck

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hello,
My bike has developed drive issues and I'm keen to find a useful user manual as well as a wiring diagram for the bike so can start to look at why it is not working properly.
The drive jitters and then does not give power anymore.
I have checked the battery and the motor as well as the cables and all looks in good health, has anyone experienced the same issue?
I wanted to check the speed sensor but I don't know where this is, It may be integrated into the motor as there is no magnet and external sensor..
Its a 8FUN 250w 36v rear motor.
I would be grateful for any help or experience anyone may have about my issue.
Thanks in advance.
Simon.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A manual wouldn't help you with your problem. Freego bikes use standard Chinese parts and the wiring is standard too apart from one wire IIRC.

Can you describe the problem in more detail, then we can help you sort it out.
How did it start?
If you don get any more power to the motor, how does it jitter again?
What happens to the LCD during whatever happens?
What are you using to make it jitter?
How long does it jitter for?

simonluck

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for the comments,
It started intermittently, initially i thought it was the cable to the motor but it seems not.
the noise is a grinding type of noise and the motor cuts in and out and then stops working.
so I start off riding and the power kicks in after a few seconds this noise then it cuts off.
The display is normal and no error or anything.
then if i start again the same will happen it will kick in for a second or 2 and then stop.
hopefully this info is helpful.
happy to have a chat at some point if it would be easier?
I have checked the battery and bought a new one with the same issue.
Checked all the cables and no visible issues
Taken the motor off the hub and checked inside and it looks fine.
thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will need to check.
1. The motor cable from the hub axle, check the connector is fully pushed home not visually but physically.
2. Hall and phase connection at the controller.
If bullet connectors for phase wires are used disconnect them and gently crimp the female a little tighter then reconnect. If a block connector is used for the thin hall wires check none have backed out of the connector.

The noise you describe sounds as if it is a motor connection shorting somewhere between controller and hub motor.
Has anything occurred recently even a trivial matter ?
Bike fallen over, a puncture, motor cable caught on anything ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your problem is caused somewhere between the controller and the motor. Potential causes working from the controller to the motor:

• Dodgy mosfets in the controller - not normally intermittent, so not that likely.
  • Bad phase wire solder joint on the PCB
  • Melted phase wire connectors on the controller - typically happens after going up a long steep hill.
  • Dodgy hall wire connection
  • Motor connector not all the way in
  • Motor cable damaged where it comes out of the axle - typically happens after a fall or mishandling.
  • Hall or phase wire insulation rubbed through inside the motor.

simonluck

Sep 22, 2020
Hi,
so here’s what I found, the motor connector socket seems to be a bit arched inside. It’s a 6 pin connector. It looks like 3 power (thicker wires) and 3 thinner wires (guess they are signal wires). Guess I need to source a new one mans splice it in? Any ideas where I could get one or the best way to repair it?
Thanks.
Simon.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I haven't seen a 6 pin listed, most are now 9 pin versions.
Repairing won't be easy, quick or even very pretty splicing in a new connector of any type.
It may be better to fit a new Freego hub motor if one can source one or a completely different sensored 9 pin hub motor and controller kit.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't repair it. I'd cut both connectors off and solder the wires together, then insulate with heatshrink. You don't really need connectors. 6 pin is unusual. I've never seen that before. I guess the other three pins are for the speed sensor.

simonluck

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks all for the feedback, I chopped the connectors and soldered the wires back together at the weekend then added heat shrink. Not a bad job it’s a few years since I did some soldering so it was fun!! The good news is the motor is back in action. Will wait until it’s not raining so much for a proper test run. Cheers.

Reactions: vfr400

Advertisers