Help! Freehub noise while coasting/back pedalling

karterd

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2021
Hi all, new to the site. I have had a Violamart converted e-bike for 1.5 years now, I use the bike for courier work. Over the past week a weird rattling/scraping type of noise has been happening when i'm coasting or back pedalling - I've never had this issue before. It gets louder the faster you are going and can be quite grating. It doesn't affect cycling at all and there is no visual damage, its just a noise and nothing more.

I took it to my LBS who has helped me with issues I've had with my bike before and they said there's nothing they can do because "there are 100's of different conversion kits", basically they don't want any liability if they do something wrong which is understandable.

I'm wondering whether anyone else has had any similar issues and if so have you found a solution?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it a geared or gearless hub ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The title says freehub, but direct drive motors are normally freewheel. Do you know the difference, or do you actually have a freehub motor?

Either way, it's probably the back of your bottom gear rubbing on the motor. matbe something has got jammed in the gap or your bearings in the freewheel or freehub have worn enough for it to tilt, which can be fixed with a spacer unless the bearings are shot.