Freezing weather and eBike problems

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Yesterday I got to work really pleased my battery lights on my computer were showing 3 out of 4 lights meaning I might get 3 commutes out of my new battery (27 miles and I'd already done half that).
When I was leaving work my first LED was flashing on and off which normally means the battery is low however the lights on my battery were showing 3/4 full!
After a mile my electric turned off and I limped another mile on & off but luckily because I'm testing I had my spare battery with me.
Changing that still had my red light flashing so something else was going on and the flashing light must mean error and not just low battery.
Half a mile from home and it suddenly all kicked in with 3 lights on the computer!

So could the freezing weather have affected the motor or controller?
Anybody else had something similar happen?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cold freezing may affect the cells out putting voltage until they have warmed up and may have been what occurred. The fact the power switched off is battery/Bms issue, voltage supply.

Where at work is the battery left ?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Cold freezing may affect the cells out putting voltage until they have warmed up and may have been what occurred. The fact the power switched off is battery/Bms issue, voltage supply.

Where at work is the battery left ?
My spare battery was in a nice warm office all day and did the same!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Freezing moisture maybe then in lcd or a bad/poor wire connection where damp has frozen creating poor current flow or intermittent short.
Pin pointing issue may be hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: aardvark5
D

Deleted member 128

When I was leaving work my first LED was flashing on and off which normally means the battery is low however the lights on my battery were showing 3/4 full!
Can you remember if it was flashing on and off as soon as you turned the bike on or only after you started to move?

D

Deleted member 128

A couple of suggestions:
1. Check that the screws are tight on as many electrical connections as you can access
2. If the display is easily removable try taking it off the bike when not in use (you're probably doing this anyway)

Good luck

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
A couple of suggestions:
1. Check that the screws are tight on as many electrical connections as you can access
2. If the display is easily removable try taking it off the bike when not in use (you're probably doing this anyway)

Good luck
I'm not doing number 2.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
is the display easily detachable?
With a screwdriver but I also have a plug that plugs in the end of cable making a circuit so I don't need the display, it also stays on max pedal assist.
if I come out of work today and it flashes I'll put that on and will know it's something to do with a frozen display however it's warm today :)

D

Deleted member 128

With a screwdriver but I also have a plug that plugs in the end of cable making a circuit so I don't need the display, it also stays on max pedal assist.
if I come out of work today and it flashes I'll put that on and will know it's something to do with a frozen display however it's warm today :)
That's an excellent idea.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
How cold?? My KTM is in quarantine until it's above freezing...

Mid week....

20190123_124601_000.jpg

On the solar panel at 8 am....20190123_075900.jpg

oldbikerman

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Yesterday I got to work really pleased my battery lights on my computer were showing 3 out of 4 lights meaning I might get 3 commutes out of my new battery (27 miles and I'd already done half that).
After a mile my electric turned off and I limped another mile on & off but luckily because I'm testing I had my spare battery with me.
Changing that still had my red light flashing so something else was going on and the flashing light must mean error and not just low battery.
Half a mile from home and it suddenly all kicked in with 3 lights on the computer!

So could the freezing weather have affected the motor or controller?
Anybody else had something similar happen?
NiMh batteries not good below freezing point I'm afraid. keep them indoors

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I continue to ride to work and back through the winter using an old Oxygen Emate city if I am riding on the road there and back 20 mile round trip and a Haibike Yamaha hard tail mountain bike if I am using a 14 mile cross country route to work then 10 miles back on the road.

Apart from a relatively modest reduction in range for the same distance shown on the Haibike display (roughly use 5% more battery per leg of journey in colder temperatures) and similar on the Emate probably they both perform the same way as in the warmer weather. I have a neoprene battery cover on the Yamaha 400Wh battery.

I am lucky to be able to leave my bikes in a heated room at work where I can re charge the batteries. I might have more issues if I had to leave them outside in sub zero temperatures while I am working before my ride home.