Front forks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The freeplay is adjustable and can be eliminated. That photo is miles too small to see what you have, so I cam't tell you how to do it.

If you can't be bothered to take a photo, Google how to adjust both threaded and Ahead headsets. If it's an Ahead type, the adjuster screw is inside the fold.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, sorry bikes at dealer at moment, so can’t take actual pic. when the top part is lowered it reveals a large Allen screw, it is very tight. The dealer said this is normal with a folding bike but I am not convinced.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi, sorry bikes at dealer at moment, so can’t take actual pic. when the top part is lowered it reveals a large Allen screw, it is very tight. The dealer said this is normal with a folding bike but I am not convinced.
You have to undo the clamp screws first.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, would anyone know please, I have the folding bike as in picture, if I hold front forks there is slight forward/aft play below were handle bar splits to fold. Any advice appreciated as always
There is a lot of info pertaining to headsets and handle bars, on the internet, especially Youtube.
You do need a few simple tools and the knowledge that "after tight comes loose!"
When adjusting, you adjust slowly, to remove the looseness, "just".
Do not over tighten, that will cause extra wear and/or possible bearing failure.
Of the two errors, "too tight, and too loose", the second one is slightly better for your bike....
I don't know exactly what you have, but these YouTube videos may pertain to your bike.
Please check them out:-
Regards
Andy

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
hi Andy, many thanks for your advise, these are the first bikes I have owned since being a child now 68.
the bikes are with the dealer at the moment, would it be ok when I get them back to take pics then maybe I could explain better.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have asked at least 4 times including this visit, just told it’s because it’s folds and is normal.
Me not being a fan of any folding bike, might cloud my perception, but IMHO, there should not be play (or only a tiny amount) if I am understanding you correctly.
Before you can set up the headset with minimal play, you need to undo the clamp screws that hold the handlebars in place, which has already been mentioned by someone else.
Then adjust for minimal "wobble/PLAY" using that central hex screw, which may be under a snap in cap. Then tighten the clamp screws evenly again.
Replace the cap on that central screw, but do not tighten it anymore, or you will mal-adjust the bearings. Probably over tight then.
I hope that my words are clear enough for when you get your bike back.....
regards
Andy

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, again Andy n Vfr for all your help, I really appreciate the time you give to us novices, I hope to get the bikes back Wednesday-ish. I will then take photos then hopefully will be able to explain more clearly were the issue lies, I would have preferred full size bikes but we caravan and folding bikes are more convenient, please don’t give up on me just yet, stay safe Brian

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
So, you will feel a little ‘play’ in the front forks, just because your handlebars are sitting on top of a long lever, which pivots on the headset, which is in that bit of the bike frame that you have photographed. Is there too much play in the headset? Difficult to say - there is a fine line between that bolt you picture being too tight or too loose. To tight and your steering will bind up and the bearings sitting at the top and bottom of the head tube will eventually fail. Too loose, and you get the motion in the forks/handlebars that you describe.

Is there a torque figure for that bolt in the picture? If you have that info, loosen that bolt, make sure that the forks are sitting correctly in the frame and the bearings are correctly in their cups, then tighten the bolt to the specified torque.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Hi, thanks for your reply, that all makes perfect sense in what your saying, there are only a few torque settings in the handbook but not that one.
As a novice it just seemed wrong, and didn’t want this to cause any lasting problems.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The photos are not clear enough and don't show the clamping method for the headset.
Take photos from front, back and both sides, then one pointing down into the fold. Make sure that they're all in focus.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No clamps, so it could be threaded under the sleeve below the fold.

before anything, you need to find out where the play is coming from. Wrap your hand around the joint in the fold and rock the handlebars to see if it's coming from there. If not, wrap your hand around the area under the fold and repeat the rocking, and finally at the bottom of the steerer tube above the forks. When you've found out which joint it's coming from, we can figure out how to adjust it.