Front Hub?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would I ride a front wheel drive bicycle on a gravel road? Never! But I bet that some people do.
The Big Bear is a very stable bike because it has long wheel base and sit up riding style. Gravel flat roads are OK but hilly + gravel is definitely out of question.

Tommy C

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2019
The Big Bear is a very stable bike because it has long wheel base and sit up riding style. Gravel flat roads are OK but hilly + gravel is definitely out of question.
How is Big Bear on tarmac on the hills? I understand about the variable factors such as my weight and the extent that I am able to power it through the pedals, but does the front mounted Big Bear do any better or worse on a hill than your rear mounted FB LS, for example?

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
You don't want to ride one of those (Vélosolex) pedaling, trust me! It was a low powered moped, the pedals were only there for starting from the lights and really steep hills. The Velosolex is number one on my list of "the worst handling two wheel ride of my life".
That's almost convinced me to find and buy another one! :D

Diff'rent strokes f'r diffrent folks. Not everyone wants the handling of a MotoGP bike. Mrs 13 loves her rear-hub motored bicycle and thinks that the front hub motored ones I prefer handle like a greased pig on a skateboard.

I guess that's why I find them entertaining . I love the front pull, and the fact that you have to adapt sometimes to what the bike wants to do. :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How is Big Bear on tarmac on the hills? I understand about the variable factors such as my weight and the extent that I am able to power it through the pedals, but does the front mounted Big Bear do any better or worse on a hill than your rear mounted FB LS, for example?
the Rio FB LS has better traction, the Big Bear is a bit more comfortable because it has front suspension.
Handling wise, the Big Bear is slightly nimbler on tarmac roads because of its narrower tyres. If you fit 2.3" balloon tyres to the FB, it will be much better for tarmac roads.
We are out of stock of FB a bit earlier than we thought. If I reorder now, by the time the new batch arrives, that would be late in Autumn, that would be the beginning of the slow season. I decided to leave the re-ordering until Christmas, new arrival will be around March.

Reactions: Tommy C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had no issue with a Big Bear BPM kit on my 700c on road inclines.

Reactions: Tommy C