Front versus Rear Hub Kits

pdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Is there any performance advantage to going front wheel vs rear wheel for a hub kit?

I was a bit concerned about installing a hub kit on an older road bike? I'd planned to get modern front and rear rims, ideally 700c with double-wall with stainless eyelet-and-spokes. But will the old frame take the torque? (I'm a 'Clydesdale' and commute on windy country roads with hills ...).

It isn't easy to find objective information as to the reliability of hub kits, plus their controllers and throttles. Any hints?

Thanks! pdg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Front drive has the advantage of two wheel traction, pedals driving rear and motor at front, useful in poor road conditions. It has the disadvantage of less comfortable ride due to the high unsprung weight. Suspension forks alleviate the effects of that to some extent. Traction can also be lost on poor or slippery surfaces with a powerful motor when pulling a trailer uphill.

Rear motors have the advantage of greater comfort and better trailer control. The disadvantages are poor weight distribution, much of the weight at the rear, and often gearing limitations. For example, no hub gears possible, and derailleurs limited to using freewheel sprocket clusters. These are much more limited in range than cassette systems and are weaker as well.

Most frames/forks take either motor type without structural problems.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Further to the above, kit popularity has waned due to the low prices of complete bikes now.

Where very long term reliability is concerned, we only have the expensive Heinzmann and the Currie Electrodrive to confidently speak about. Both are old designs now, the Heinzmann good quality as befits the price, the Currie quite cheap. I'm not keen on the way the Currie sits alongside the rear wheel and the kit motor drives through the wheel spokes which can suffer breakage.

The BionX is a good hub motor with very sophisticated systems, but is expensive and the replacement battery is horrifyingly expensive. The UK 250 watt motor isn't very powerful, the 350 watt (illegal) US version which you can buy direct is better.

After those, there's a whole rash of Chinese and US hub motor imports of relatively unknown quality and inevitable question marks over spares availability and reliability. Probably best not touched by anyone not technically aware and able to fix problems.

Then there's the Cyclone motors which can fit some frames only. These sit under and to the rear of the bottom bracket and drive through the gears, which is a better drive system in hilly areas. A touch on the noisy side, but not seriously so, reliability is relatively unknown, but shouldn't be bad. For the technically aware again though, since fitting isn't easy.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apologies pdg, I missed the fact you were in Canada. The availability will differ there of course.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi pdg.

I used a Heinzmann front hub motor for a while - you can find some comments in the "reviews" section. I fitted it to a Dawes Street Sharp, a steel-framed hybrid. As I bike I liked it very much, but it was heavy and I have to carry my bike upstairs daily. Eventually it got too much for me.

Re weight distribution: Heinzmann has motor (about 3.5kg) at the front and battery (about 5 kg) on the rear rack. Overall it was rear-heavy, slightly noticeable when riding and quite obvious when carrying the bike. I've now bought a lighter Urban Mover UM55, with battery in the sensible place, under the rider/in front of the rear wheel. Despite now having a motor at the back, I find the weight much more central on the UM - when I pick it up, it balances better than the Heinzmann/Dawes.

Mary

pdg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for these useful suggestions.

flecc: I've never seen such an incisive analysis of the front- vs rear-hub advantages. Your observations are very helpful! Thanks.

Baboonking: As near as I can tell, the top kits in Canada are BionX (regarded as our number one), Crystalyte (many versions to choose), and Wilderness (likely the most affordable of these three).

Maryinoxford: Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will look into the Urban Mover UM55 as an option. BTW, a long time ago, I was Paulinoxford (lived near St Giles, local was The Eagle and Child ... if you are in that pub, tip a jar for me!)

-- pdg (aka Paul)