Frustrating 15.5 limit

Flashdan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2018
Lyneham Wiltshire
Hi, I'm Danny (67+) . Before I retired I worked for Porsche / Ferrari in Swindon, I have a KTM Macina Force and would like to derestrict the stupid 15.5 mph limit. I'm not after a huge increase in speed 18-20 mph would be fine, I find the range of add-ons a bit confusing (my age I think) what would be the best value and are they reliable ?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Badass4 is easy peasy as it simply takes only a second or less to clip or unclip it.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Why do people think it's ok to break the law? What if on your new deristricted bike, you cause a major accident, who will it effect then? You, your family, the victims family and what about legal ebike owners, what are the ramifications on them with rule/law changes...............selfish the lot of you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is no law if plod wont or cant enforce it so what is the point in the first place.

also one of the largest ebike dealers in the uk fit dongles and honers the warranty.

and this forum is for no speed limits so bugger off every day is a good day to die ;)

Flashdan

Sep 6, 2018
Lyneham Wiltshire
I agree with all the comments to a degree, as I said before I drove very fast cars at near the legal limits and never exceeded the speed limit in towns if anything went under the limit as not to draw attention but the 15.5 mph limit is too slow. If my bike would do 20 mph then I would be happy, when I first rode my bike I thought there was something wrong with it but as the dealer pointed out I had hit 16 mph and power was cut off ! My last bike a Diamond back with a hub conversion was a lot lighter and had less drag when powered off, still cut out at 15.5 but was easier to peddle past the limiter, as for the comment "peddle harder" the whole point of me buying an Ebike was that I peddle these 67 year old legs ......softer.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
so - now we have a pedestrian killed by what could be an illegal ebike - how are you souped up dongle riders feeling today???
What a ridiculous comment. Seeing how it might just as likely be fully compliant with the law, how do you feel today? Stupid question, right?

Last week somebody practically tried to blame soundwave for a non-occuring fatal incident. Let's ascertain the facts before we start turning on each other.

Last edited:

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
What a ridiculous comment. Seeing how it might just as likely be fully compliant with the law, how do you feel today? Stupid question, right?

Last week somebody practically tried to blame soundwave for a non-occuring fatal incident. Let's ascertain the facts before we start turning on each other.
Read my post again.....not stupid at all. There are people who post in this part of the forum that openly brag about derestricted bikes and think it's ok to do so.

The bike in question as per my stated post, may also be derestricted. So how do you feel if that's true and the cyclist is deemed to be responsible for a pedestrians death on an illegal bike??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Read my post again.....not stupid at all. There are people who post in this part of the forum that openly brag about derestricted bikes and think it's ok to do so.

The bike in question as per my stated post, may also be derestricted. So how do you feel if that's true and the cyclist is deemed to be responsible for a pedestrians death on an illegal bike??
90% of all the members on this forum has a de restricted bike in one way or another.

and if you want to run out in to oncoming traffic id suggest you ware full body armor.

now go try it on the m25:D

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Flashdan

Sep 6, 2018
Lyneham Wiltshire
When I was a very keen motorcyclist I read lots of magazines on how to make your bike go faster ie turbo charging, go faster exhausts etc and I can't remember anybody complaining "you're braking the law' and " the speed limits only 70 mph you know" I joined Pedelecs to get more out of my e-biking and that meant asking about derestricting it. How many of us drive a car that won't reach 70 mph and more probably not many..... but I bet even Jowwy if he has a car has exceeded the limit a few times John.8 - Bible, King James Version.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

To that end, it may also be perfectly legal. It was she, rest in peace, that ran into his path. :oops:

The illegality of the fixie bike was broadcast pretty quickly. Nothing has been heard of the ebike, other than it's make, since the accident. If it were illegal, I'd have thought that we'd have known about that by now.

Anyway, if it were illegal, I'd feel OK about it, because I wasn't sat on it. So, it's not my problem.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
When I was a very keen motorcyclist I read lots of magazines on how to make your bike go faster ie turbo charging, go faster exhausts etc and I can't remember anybody complaining "you're braking the law' and " the speed limits only 70 mph you know" I joined Pedelecs to get more out of my e-biking and that meant asking about derestricting it. How many of us drive a car that won't reach 70 mph and more probably not many..... but I bet even Jowwy if he has a car has exceeded the limit a few times John.8 - Bible, King James Version.
My car isn't illegally chipped or dongled ..........

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
90% of all the members on this forum has a de restricted bike in one way or another.

and if you want to run out in to oncoming traffic id suggest you ware full body armor.

now go try it on the m25:D
So you think 17,000 members have illegally dongled bikes.............

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they dont need dongles every kit you can buy on ebay you can change the settings ur self one way or another.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
To that end, it may also be perfectly legal. It was she, rest in peace, that ran into his path. :oops:

The illegality of the fixie bike was broadcast pretty quickly. Nothing has been heard of the ebike, other than it's make, since the accident. If it were illegal, I'd have thought that we'd have known about that by now.

Anyway, if it were illegal, I'd feel OK about it, because I wasn't sat on it. So, it's not my problem.
Why do you think he got up and run off with the bike then and then it was found dumped a few miles away??? Needed time to remove the dongle I expect

Advertisers