full suspension mountain bike mid drive

richard250

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2016
banbridge
Hey guys I am new to the forums and I could use some advice. I am looking for a full suspension mountain bike for around the 1800 pound mark with a mid drive and hope you could point me in the Wright direction.

Well what are you using it for I hear you say ???. To be honest a bit of everything work is roughly 12 miles away and in this good weather I would like to travel to and from work without ending up a puddle of sweat when I arrive there, also i would like to do a bit of off road on it and would like the motor to be able to assist until about 20mph
of road only.
Thanking you in advance.
Richard.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Are you willing to self build, coz I think that's the only way to get exactly what you want for that price?

richard250

Jun 6, 2016
banbridge
To be honest I would rather the bike to come assembled I am not sure if I would have the technical knowledge to build an e bike though I am very good with my hands the electric bits scare me lol as I know nothing about batteries, controllers etc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If you do serious off road, 20mph is a tad too fast anyway.
i can go 3 x faster than that if the hill is big enough :)

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
To be honest I would rather the bike to come assembled I am not sure if I would have the technical knowledge to build an e bike though I am very good with my hands the electric bits scare me lol as I know nothing about batteries, controllers etc
If you can do the mechanicals the bbs kit is just plug together like a new tv and video setup. It's really simple honest. The connectors are colour coded and different plugs.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As D8ve says, they aren't too difficult to fit. I think the issue you will have is finding a full susser that can fit the battery in the triangle.

richard250

Jun 6, 2016
banbridge
Guys thank you for the speedy responses the Haibike you linked actually looks like a very nice bike and well kitted out I hope and pray I have a dealer close so i can have a test ride.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
I'm building another S-works Enduro over the next week or so with a new motor from Eclipse bikes...It'll be NDT'd before build and will come fully top-spec'd up (forks, wheels, suspension, brakes) with a brand new battery from BGA too.

Take a look at our current bike builds on the S-pedelcs forum, I'm an Aeronautical Engineer who builds World-class roundy-roundy and Land Speed Racing bikes and have really got the bug with these ebikes...I can build yours with a 250W legal motor or the full-fat 750/1000W mid-drive Bafangs that we currently run (purely off-road of course) and spec it up to suit you...I only charge labour and just want to see people riding a quality bike instead of the dross that's out there (including Haibikes, etc)

richard250

Jun 6, 2016
banbridge
Steve thanks for the response would you be able to copy me a few links there is just so much to look through on this site i cant seem to find your builds.
looking forward to your reply )

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Here's our bikes...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cannondale-super-v-bbs02.23080/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2004-s-works-enduro-bbs02.23363/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2003-specialized-sx-bbs02.23790/

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2008-cannondale-prophet-mx-bbs-02.23789/

As I posted earlier, I've just bought another black S-Works Enduro frame and ordered 2 BBS02 motors from Eclipse yesterday, so will be building it up over the next couple of weeks...quite easy to do yourself if you have basic spannering skills;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the range you get is proportional to the battery size. If you keep to legal speed, you get about 30 miles with a 10AH battery, 40 miles with 13AH, 50 miles with 15AH battery. If you derestrict your bike, it's going to eat a lot more WH per mile,. At full tilt, the BBS02 can eat twice as many WH per mile, reducing your range by half. The range can be affected by how you ride. If you always select the right gear, you can save about 10% on battery consumption. There isn't much difference in power consumption between crank drive and geared hub kits. Forget about direct drive kits. They are not good.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Those bikes look awesome what sort of range do you get and how much for this sort of set up?
Thanks Richard:)...I regularly get 30+ miles out of the 11.6Ah saddlebag battery up in the Peaks (I pedal alot and only really use it when climbing). Cost-wise, the motor and battery come in around the £600 mark...the bike itself can be £100 or £1000 depending on model/spec etc, ours are all high end frames with good spec and I'd estimate they cost around £1500 each to build...the latest Enduro will be a copy of my own black one with a few extras thrown in that have been bought over the last month...2014 Mavic Crossmax SX wheels with tubeless High Roller 2's, new black Marzocchi Bomber 55ATA2 forks, SRAM X9 cassette/derailleur/shifter, Fox DHX5.0 Air shock, Easton EA70 Carbon bars and 70mm steerer, Wellgo DMR V12 copy pedals, Hope Tech M4 brakes with 203/180 floating discs...the list goes on...and i can't wait to start building it up (I get just as much fun building them as riding them, it's very therapeutic:D).

richard250

Jun 6, 2016
banbridge
Steve I am really looking forward to your build mate please keep me updated on your progress.
I was so close to pushing the button yesterday on a haibike full9 it was selling at 2500 pounds omg the wife would have had a heart attack lol

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Steve I am really looking forward to your build mate please keep me updated on your progress.
I was so close to pushing the button yesterday on a haibike full9 it was selling at 2500 pounds omg the wife would have had a heart attack lol
I'll post up when it's finished, with specs and cost to build:)

NPK

Just Joined
Mar 6, 2019
Hi Steve,

I have the exact same frame as the prophet, albeit with a lefty that i'm thinking of converting to electric - would really appreciate any tips or things you might have done differently if you were to do it again?

Thanks,
Steve

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi Steve,

I have the exact same frame as the prophet, albeit with a lefty that i'm thinking of converting to electric - would really appreciate any tips or things you might have done differently if you were to do it again?

Thanks,
Steve
Holy thread revival :)

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Holy thread revival :)
Fat Rat,
Reminds me of Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers with Monster Mash:

...............The zombies were having fun
The party had just begun
The guests included Wolf Man