Full suspension TREK EX5

Steve Neville

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 4, 2012
Hi all
I've been using my TREK EX5 with a BFM 500W motor all summer for "off road" riding and I'm well chuffed with it. I'm also a green lane motorcyclist and the TREK allows me to ride a powered two wheeler in places you can't take a Yamaha WR450 trail/enduro bike!!
I carry the LiFePO4 battery in a Camelback type backpack and once its strapped on the 4.5kg is just manageable. Range is 10-20 miles but that is often over difficult terrain. A spare is in the car! The controller sits under the saddle and the only control is a throttle; like the Yamaha! Its not about speed and the great thing about this is that its usable in the 15-20mph zone, which is the "sweet spot". The controller can be wired for 15.5 mph but that is really annoying. Pedal gearing is lowish and fast pedalling it tops out at 25mph. Any more is conspicuous. Its the way it deals with climbs and mud that I love. :eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, the BPM motor is a great workhorse. Next time you fancy building something for off-road, try two-wheel drive with two 250w motors. Handling and traction is so much better. You can use one battery, but you need two controllers. A Cycle Analyst can split the throttle signal to two controllers (best) or you can make a double throttle or use two throttles. You need 270 rpm motors for 22 - 24mph.

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Hi Steve,

Another Green laner here moving to the electric dark side.

I did consider carrying the battery in a back pack but was concerned about if I came off. Had any mishaps or has it not been an issue?

I have the same motor and am very pleased.

Steve Neville

Sep 4, 2012
Fully crash tested. It has high density foam padding . I also wear body armour. Battery is flattish and custom made by Ping 36v and 10AH. Best bit is cycling along green lanes with motorcycle chums from the TRF and staying with them; on the gentler byways anyhow. Also overtaking roadies uphill :)

Steve Neville

Sep 4, 2012
Yes I'd considered this and might try sometime. Also looking for a much more powerful 3 or 5 KW motor to make my WR450 motorcycle a two wheel drive :-?

Advertisers