Full Throttle Folding E Bike....,Any Suggestions |?

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
A friend suffers from ME and is largely house bound. She would certainly benefit
from a small folding e bike with full power on throttle. As she lives in a flat, it has to be stored on the ground floor in a small communal area.

I know current regulations do not permit this full power throttle, without a special MOT test and certificate.

What I would really like to find is a second hand one with Grandfather rights.

Do members have any suggestions as to which models to look out for please ?

Thanks

Reactions: artspeck

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's only the twist and go throttle is banned.
To get around this, some bikes require that you pedal a little bit to activate the throttle so that although the throttle is full acting, it's not a twist and go.

The new law applies only to manufacturers and does not affect users. So another way to get round the new law is to retrofit a throttle.
I am forbidden to add a twist and go throttle to a bike at my shop but if I sell the throttle separately, your friend can plug it in and use it.

Reactions: mike killay

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
To get around this, some bikes require that you pedal a little bit to activate the throttle so that although the throttle is full acting, it's not a twist and go.

The new law applies only to manufacturers and does not affect users. So another way to get round the new law is to retrofit a throttle.
I am forbidden to add a twist and go throttle to a bike at my shop but if I sell the throttle separately, your friend can plug it in and use it.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I have a Freego Folder with 16a/h battery. Choice of throttle only or mix of pedal and throttle. Good for 30+ miles. I’m thinking of selling as I’ve upgraded to full size now. Always kept indoors and battery carefully looked after. I’m in Sunderland.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Hello Artspeck,

Thanks for your very useful information.

If you decide to sell your Freego please let me know. For now it would be good to know the wheel size and length when not folded. My friend has to store it in a small communal cupboard.

She has bought an E glide now but may well do better on a throttle equipped bike.

Reactions: artspeck

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Hello Artspeck,

Thanks for your very useful information.

If you decide to sell your Freego please let me know. For now it would be good to know the wheel size and length when not folded. My friend has to store it in a small communal cupboard.

She has bought an E glide now but may well do better on a throttle equipped bike.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Folded dimensions: 16″W X 34″L X 27″H, 6 Speed gears with 5 levels of assist, Size: 20 inches, Tyres: Kenda, Battery: 36v 16Ah battery, Cell Brand: Samsung. Gears: 6 Speed Shimano Derailleur with gear protector, Frame: 17in Aluminium Hand Made, Folded dimensions: 16″W X 34″L X 27″H, 6 Speed gears with 5 levels of assist.
Length when not folded: 5feet, (60 inches). Ready to sell now.
Contact me at artspeck@gmail.com for full description, lots of photos and price.

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Folded dimensions: 16″W X 34″L X 27″H, 6 Speed gears with 5 levels of assist, Size: 20 inches, Tyres: Kenda, Battery: 36v 16Ah battery, Cell Brand: Samsung. Gears: 6 Speed Shimano Derailleur with gear protector, Frame: 17in Aluminium Hand Made, Folded dimensions: 16″W X 34″L X 27″H, 6 Speed gears with 5 levels of assist.
Length when not folded: 5feet, (60 inches). Ready to sell now.
Contact me at artspeck@gmail.com for full description, lots of photos and price.