Full throttle... watch out

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Just had scary weird experience, all resistance in twist grip gone, slack tried turning it no difference now as soon as switched on it goes full revs. getting wheel spin, ie no control, should i ditch it and replace../? or try to repair ...thanks

Ezee Forza

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Sounds like the springs has become dislodged and taken the hall sensor/magnet with it. f you pull it apart you might be able to put all the bits back where they belong but I'd bet that something has snapped - might be worth just replacing it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are very difficult to get apart, once off the bars there are four internal tongues to release to enable the two halves to separate. It certainly sounds like internal breakage in addition to the spring no longer engaged, so a new throttle is probably the best way to deal with the problem.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Tony thanks ,have managed to part spring come off , but i find no form of electric contacts with grip has one but no other thant cant be right can it.?

also can i fit different longer thicker twist grip, if it incorporates light switch.?.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Geostorm,

We have replacements in stock priced accordingly left with 3 pin JST (no light switch) £17.50 or left 5 pin JST (with separate light switch) £25. Delivery is free.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Inside there's just a Hall sensor on the tip of the three wires on the static part, and on the rotating part either a long curved bar magnet that passes the Hall sensor, or two small magnets, one at each end of the traverse of the Hall sensor. It could be either one or two magnets adrift with perhaps their mounting broken, or a sensor failure. If in doubt a new one from John solves the problem.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Inside there's just a Hall sensor on the tip of the three wires on the static part, and on the rotating part either a long curved bar magnet that passes the Hall sensor, or two small magnets, one at each end of the traverse of the Hall sensor. It could be either one or two magnets adrift with perhaps their mounting broken, or a sensor failure. If in doubt a new one from John solves the problem.
Thanks again,Tony, when i took apart the spring came out and something else but not sure what i was looking for, i thought, maybe it would be a form of contact that had come of the wires,..?.... and have now found pinkish plastic round piece with 6 notches is this part of it as i am not sure, it could be off an old gear twist shift, i know what your saying about buying new one, i hate just throwing away, and the cost of course, and i was not happy with size as i have pointed out before, do you know if anyone has exploded view of internals at all i realize not much to them.