Furo X or Gron E Cycle

huey_60

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2021
I ordered a Furo X electric bike back in May and I am still waiting for delivery. The last I heard was late August, so I am thinking of cancelling the order. I have found an alternative carbon fibre bike which is 1kg lighter than the Furo X at 14 kg and slightly cheaper too. Anyone got any experience with the Gron E bike?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The most important thing is that you buy a bike with a ubiquitous electrical system. Circumstances change and dealers come and go. If you have a bespoke system that only one dealer sells within 100 miles of you, you can end up with a very expensive garden trellis, as many forum members have lready found.

Reactions: huey_60

huey_60

Jul 8, 2021
The most important thing is that you buy a bike with a ubiquitous electrical system. Circumstances change and dealers come and go. If you have a bespoke system that only one dealer sells within 100 miles of you, you can end up with a very expensive garden trellis, as many forum members have lready found.
This is what it comes with...Motor: Bafang 36V, 250W Cassette flywheel motor, brushless, Dual Hall sensor, hall effect, high speed and low noise. Motor controller: 36V brushless hall effect, intelligent sine wave controller.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Nearly all electric bikes have those things. It's whether they're standard or bespoke that matters. The dual hall sensor bit smells of standard Chinese stuff, but I couldn't say without seeing it.

huey_60

Jul 8, 2021
Nearly all electric bikes have those things. It's whether they're standard or bespoke that matters. The dual hall sensor bit smells of standard Chinese stuff, but I couldn't say without seeing it. Well this is more from the spec:
Power: BAFANG 36V 250W 138MM Cassette Motor,Velocity Type, Dual Hall sensor. Controller: YUEBO Lishui Controller 36V, Display: KING-METER SW-LCD 36V Battery: Samsung Battery cell 36V 8.7AH with charger and cell box, with tail lights and usb charger. Pedal: Folding Pedal. Tire: CST Black 20” 1.75. Electrical system Motor: 36V, 250W Cassette flywheel motor, brushless, Dual Hall sensor, hall effect, high speed and low noise. Motor controller: 36V brushless hall effect, intelligent sine wave controller. Display: Power on/off, battery indicator, 5-level assist, LCD model Kmph, Distance. Battery: Samsung Lithium Ion Batteries, 36V 8.7AH, Charging Time: 3hours, lithium battery with intelligent protection for longer battery life.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
All standard Chinese stuff. Even if you can't get the exact versions, there are plenty of alternative parts that would work.
Of course all that means nothing if you don't have the knowledge or ability to do any repairs, so the next important question is who will fix it when it goes wrong?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm curious how one can be 1kg lighter than the other when at face value they're identical, aren't they? The stem angle looks marginally different (but that could just be production changes, as with my own Fiido D11), but it looks the same frame/fork, same CST 20x1.75 tyres, same Samsung celled 8.7Ah 36v battery, same Shimano hydraulic brakes/9-speed gearing, same Bafang motor, display, etc etc. The only differences seem to be ancillaries such as mudguards, kick-stand, rack, lights, bell etc - which could add 1kg?

furo x ebike.png
gron ebike.png

Reactions: MAngoHaHaHa

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
For 2021, both the Furo X and Gron come with racks and mudguards... although what practical protection either of those front mudguards offer is questionable. And the Furo rack is set so far back it puts all the weight in entirely the wrong place, the length making the folded bike far less compact too.

If you don't need the rack/mudguards both seem nicely specified folders, especially given the lighter-than-most weight.

furo x rack.jpg

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
For 2021, both the Furo X and Gron come with racks and mudguards... although what practical protection either of those front mudguards offer is questionable. And the Furo rack is set so far back it puts all the weight in entirely the wrong place, the length making the folded bike far less compact too.

If you don't need the rack/mudguards both seem nicely specified folders, especially given the lighter-than-most weight.

View attachment 43105
Just recieved our two Furo x bikes after a five month wait. The picture above is not right. The rack actually sits over the wheel without much rearward projection. I'll be able to comment further oon these bikes when the weather allows us to try them but my early findings are not much different to anyone elses.:
1) The bikes arrived with very minor scratches on the quick release levers where they touch when folded. I'll have to find someway to stop them touching metal to metal.
2) So far I find the bikes near impossible to carry when folded as there is no good handhold that is on the centre of gravity. Not a problem for us as we just pop them into the motorhome garage.
3) When the bikes are folded(and secured) they are quite easy to push around using the saddle post as a handle.
4) There is nothing to keep them from unfolding. As a temporary measure I've added a bungee but need domething better.
5) Despite pooor instructions the bikes were fully assembled bar the screw on folding pedals. They only needed a little adjustment to the position of handlebar stuff to suit personal taste.
6) They look great.(although I don't expect the name transfers to last too long)

huey_60

Jul 8, 2021
I bought the GronE bike back in September and it lasted 50 miles before the motor packed in. I was not impressed! Anyway the dealer was very good and offered me a full refund of the bike, which I accepted. I now own a GoCyle G4i which at just over twice the price of the GronE is definitely a great deal better than the Gron and heaps of fun too.

Reactions: Folkranger

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
I bought the GronE bike back in September and it lasted 50 miles before the motor packed in. I was not impressed! Anyway the dealer was very good and offered me a full refund of the bike, which I accepted. I now own a GoCyle G4i which at just over twice the price of the GronE is definitely a great deal better than the Gron and heaps of fun too.
I loved the quality look of the Gocyles but at £8k for two?....
We needed lightweight, smaller bikes as my wife had found our Juicy bikes just two big and heavy, culminating with her falling off on a very steep uphill in Wales last year, so that was that! Either give up of find something more manageable. It's still a question to be answered as to whether she can manage this but the finer weather will allow us to test them out. If not, look out for an advert for two ebikes for sale.

Reactions: huey_60

huey_60

Jul 8, 2021

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The picture above is not right. The rack actually sits over the wheel without much rearward projection.
That's strange. That picture came from Furos own website, and they're still using that same image on their website today here. There is a youtube video showing a smaller rack fitted, but even so, any weight carried is still behind the rear axle because of the battery. Ideally, you need that weight over or preferably biased ahead of the axle. That's not an issue if you don't really need to carry much weight on a rear rack, but nearly all folding e-bikes do come fitted with racks for reasons of utility.

It is a very nice bike all the same IMHO.

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
That's strange. That picture came from Furos own website, and they're still using that same image on their website today here. There is a youtube video showing a smaller rack fitted, but even so, any weight carried is still behind the rear axle because of the battery. Ideally, you need that weight over or preferably biased ahead of the axle. That's not an issue if you don't really need to carry much weight on a rear rack, but nearly all folding e-bikes do come fitted with racks for reasons of utility.

It is a very nice bike all the same IMHO.
This is a photo(not mine but the same) which shows that the rack is forward of the pictures on Furo's website.
As you can see the battery is firmly in front of the rear axle (same as my Juicy bike) and gives a downward force to the front wheel. Not too sure how the bike will perform with pannier bags which I've always used for shopping trips.

On a trip to the grolsch brewery where we received free copious amounts of very strong beer I cycled back to the camp site with my panniers full of bottles and my belly full of beer and, yes, I did fall off into a dyke but that was due to a sidewind and the total weight of my large Juicy e-bike plus bottles. Hic!

Furo-X-review.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
As you can see the battery is firmly in front of the rear axle
Yes, the battery is forward of the axle, but the point I make is that the rack isn't (whichever rack you have). Full/heavy panniers will lighten the front end.

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
Yes, the battery is forward of the axle, but the point I make is that the rack isn't (whichever rack you have). Full/heavy panniers will lighten the front end.
I see what you mean, if the battery was, say, built into the frame it would allow the rack to sit even further foreward. This wouldn't do us as we need to remove the batteries to lighten the bikes as I have to lift them into the motorhome garage.
Could be worse though, the Brompton carries the battery slung from the handlebar stem. To make matters worse they offer a maxi bag that takes the battery and acts as a rucksack.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
And that's why I bought a Fiido D11: The longer range removable 11.6Ah battery is in the seatpost. The rack sits forward too, over the axle. The total weight is 17.5kg (13kg with the seatpost battery removed) which is much the same as an electric Brompton - although still 2.5kg more than your Furo. Yet a Fiido D11 costs just half the price of a Furo at £800.

Even so, I do like the Furo... provided I didn't need a rack, I'd buy one too!

fiido d11 2a.jpg

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
And that's why I bought a Fiido D11: The longer range removable 11.6Ah battery is in the seatpost. The rack sits forward too, over the axle. The total weight is 17.5kg (13kg with the seatpost battery removed) which is much the same as an electric Brompton - although still 2.5kg more than your Furo. Yet a Fiido D11 costs just half the price of a Furo at £800.

Even so, I do like the Furo... provided I didn't need a rack, I'd buy one too!

View attachment 45165
Your rack looks as far back as the Furo.

Folkranger

Aug 16, 2015
Just tried out our two new Furo x bikes.
Early findings:
Super quiet
Super smooth
Super fast.
Obviously, coming from full size Juicy bikes these small bikes feel a bit more twitchy but that's something you just have to get used to. took me 5 minutes.

I felt the gearing was a bit low on electric, probably due to the smaller wheels. Just leave it in top gear (9) on electric mode. But when I used it without any assistance I realised that the gearing was necessary.

Quickly found myself hitting the max speed 25 km/h and wanting more. The bike hits about 26km/hr and immediately you can feel the power reign back and the speed drops to max.

Got to say, I've been used to quality Juicy bikes and have tried out cheaper e-bikes but these Furos are a joy to ride in comparison.

If they sorted out securing the folded bike these would be even better.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Your rack looks as far back as the Furo.
No, it's dead centre over the axle (give 1cm). I've had 20kg on there. The saddle-bag probably deceives.
Quickly found myself hitting the max speed 25 km/h and wanting more.
Furo says "modifiable speed limit". Although that would make it not-legal (if you care), did you at least try it out?

Gearing is always a little on the low side on all the folders I've tried, and it's annoying how most don't consider how the bike is held together when folded, when simple magnetic catches work fine. Bungee cord is usually the answer.

Interested to know if you also considered the Eole S? Very similar overall, carbon frame, foldable, seat-post battery, hydraulics etc etc, and a little lighter than the Furo at 14kg.