Gaadi double-ended inner tube

Goater

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2016
Hampshire
Has anyone had any experience of this product? I don't want to be carrying round an 18mm spanner with me and this looks like a potentially useful emergency inner tube for blow-outs or really big gashes. I do wonder if the ride is bit bumpy though. It is pricey though but has plenty of options:

"The Gaadi tube is available in 20", 24", 26" and 700c wheel sizes. The 26" and 700c sizes come in two widths and all tubes have the option of Presta or Schraeder valves"

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Most punctures can be fixed with a simple patch, so the tube only needs to be pulled out a bit. No need for wheel removal.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a Gaadi tube which I've not had to deploy.

It looks good quality, but is a lot bulkier and heavier than a normal tube.

Someone on here uses them all the time, and if I fitted mine, it would stay there - it's not a 'get you home' measure.

Patching a tube in-situ is an option, but not one I like.

I find it harder to find the hole in the tube, fix the patch and check the tyre with the wheel in place.

Given that those are the three main operations of puncture repair and they are all more difficult, it's not for me.

But what really kills relying only on patches is the rain.

Patches are impossible to use in the wet, so you are stuck if you get a puncture in the rain with no shelter nearby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goater
D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry, Rob, but that's rubbish. If you don't know how to patch a tube, you should learn how to. I get punctures on my road bike nearly every time I take it out because I often go on rough trails. Last time I got 6 pinch flats in one go when an overtaking cyclist forced me into a pot-hole. It's absolutely no problem to fix them. I must have had 100 punctures by now, all of which I was able to fix by the roadside in about 10 minutes.

I'm not against those ended tubes. One day there could be a puncture that can't be fixed by the roadside, but, until then, I certainly wouldn't be reaching for that tube to fix mine.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Sorry, Rob, but that's rubbish. If you don't know how to patch a tube, you should learn how to. I get punctures on my road bike nearly every time I take it out because I often go on rough trails. Last time I got 6 pinch flats in one go when an overtaking cyclist forced me into a pot-hole. It's absolutely no problem to fix them. I must have had 100 punctures by now, all of which I was able to fix by the roadside in about 10 minutes.

I'm not against those ended tubes. One day there could be a puncture that can't be fixed by the roadside, but, until then, I certainly wouldn't be reaching for that tube to fix mine.
As they say, practise makes perfect.

I'd prefer not to get punctures, one in the rear of the Delite fixed with Aldi's foam stuff 6000 miles ago and a front one on the Haibike. I changed the valve and made it tubeless.

Having a hundred punctures would stop me from cycling.

Ted B.

Pedelecer
May 28, 2016
Guildford
The Gaadi double ended tube is great if you can't remove your wheels when out.

It is most likely to only be required to go back home, as opposed to being used as a permanent tube.

However, make sure you also carry a knife, as you may need to cut the old tube to remove it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

I've patched plenty of tubes over the years and am quite competent at it.

The near impossibility of patching a tube in the rain is not rubbish, it's a simple statement of fact.

It really is a job to be done at home, in the warm and dry with clean hands and sufficient time.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Rain certainly makes puncture repair more problematic, but I've never had a puncture where I couldn't find shelter from the rain and make the repair successfully, even if it's just using a jacket as cover.

Still though, I think these Gaadi tubes make a great addition to a repair kit and when I get my act together, will deffinately be ordering one.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Seems a novel solution. I'd be worried about how easy it is to thread around the wheel. I swear by schwalbe marathon plus tyres. I was sold by this YouTube review:
particularly the part at around 1.32. since having them 2 yrs I've only had 1 puncture from a 2cm shard of metal. Other than that I've had a safety pin. Didn't cause a puncture but caused me to stop because of the sound of it scrapping round the mudguard!

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm sure these do a good job but mending a puncture isn't exactly difficult, annoying yes, but so what if it rains? You'll probably get just as wet fitting the fancy, new tube as you would sticking a patch on the old tube or replacing it with a new one.

Schwalbe MPs are about the best insurance you can buy to avoid those nuisance roadside repairs and are well worth the money.

I'm afraid I'm far more concerned at the prospect of punctures in my next car which comes with no spare wheel; only an 'inflation kit' which, if it does the job and gets me to where I need to be, will need to have the gunge replenished, not cheap! Worse still, tyrefitters will not mend a tyre that has been coated with such gunge so that's a new tyre, maybe a pair if you want equality of tread across the axle.

I hadn't realised the demise of the spare wheel, (not even a spacesaver!), was so widespread as it now is but after some research, it seems there are very few cars sold today which come equipped with a proper, full-size spare wheel.

Not so long ago, I had the misfortune to have a blow-out on a French motorway in the middle of nowhere. Had I only had an inflation kit in the boot, it would have been no help whatsoever as there was no tyre left to inflate! Fortunately, I had a spacesaver which allowed me to eventually find a tyrefitter where they actually had my size in stock so I bought a pair which cost me an arm and a leg. It took a long time to recover from the pain in my wallet.:(

I'm seriously thinking of buying a full-size alloy wheel + tyre and stowing it in the back end, (estate car), just to avoid that stupid and costly inflation kit nonsense.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden
D

Deleted member 4366

The thing I'm doing wrong is taking a roadbike on trails and along single track roads when they've been cutting the hedges!

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
I carry a Gaadi and self-adhesive patches. If it won't patch with a self-adhesive the Gaadi goes in. So far I've used it once, on a puncture I could have patched, just to see if it worked. Didn't notice any riding difference with it in, but there was a visible dip in the tread and sidewall. So I changed it for a plain tube when I had time. Anyway it was expensive and I wanted it available for the next puncture.