Garmin Edge 530 GPS Cycling Computer

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi all,

I've not posted for a bit but I'm still riding my ebike on a regular basis and loving it. I've increased my range which I never thought I'd manage. What I want is an off road GPS computer that's Strava friendly and looked at the Garmin Edge 530. Before I buy, do any of you have any experience with the device you can share please?

KR

Jon

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
I have no experience with the 530, but used to own the 520 which was an excellent piece of kit.
My understanding is that the 530 is like the 520 but with a few more bells and whistles (Bluetooth sensor capability and base maps preloaded for routable courses).

I sold mine and changed to a Garmin Edge Explore as my eyesight is not so good - this has a bigger screen which is better for using the (somewhat poor) Route Guidance on the garmin system.

I don't think you will really go wrong with any of the Garmin devices - it's a question of deciding your budget, which features you need and plumping for the device that meets your needs. I may go to an Edge 530 (or 1030) at some point (along with my recently acquired bifocal sunglasses - excellent!) as I also ride unassisted bikes and it has a few features that I would like around rider recover times and measuring power through a power meter.

My son swears by his Wahoo Element - but this is a no-go for me as I have a Garmin Varia Radar rear light (best cycyling gadget if cycling on the road out of town centres).

DCRainmaker has excellent reviews of all the Garmin devices online - they are worth a look.

Whichever you get - please make sure you switch your ride to Ebike on Strava after upload!

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Remember also if you upload to any of the cycling app data bases that store your location and whereabouts, you'll be letting thieves and burglars know where you live and when you're out and about.

That said I use one too but I'm careful to switch on when I'm well away from my home, then off before I get back to base. Don't let villains use this fine technology for their own greed.

pedalingDave

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2019
Remember also if you upload to any of the cycling app data bases that store your location and whereabouts, you'll be letting thieves and burglars know where you live and when you're out and about.

That said I use one too but I'm careful to switch on when I'm well away from my home, then off before I get back to base. Don't let villains use this fine technology for their own greed.
On Strava, you can set a privacy guard on your home so that the recorded route only starts at a chosen distance from your home. That way nobody can follow your route back to your house. So unless you are an entirely isolated house or your house is bigger than 500m across, you'll be ok. Of course they could simply follow you in real life!

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah.. there are ways round it, it's a shame you have to try and thwart the crooks even before you leave home.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks guys, some excellent advice, I eventually found the ebike setting in Strava as well after a mate asked me to stop stealing cups. I'm pretty sure the Garmin 530 is the one for me.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I've now ordered a bike computer/GPS. However I've not ordered the Garmin as I've seen so many bad reviews. I've ordered a Wahoo Element Bolt. I hope I don't regret it.

Advertisers