gates belt drive

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I see kalkhoff have a gates belt drive with their 2015 s class endeavor.Not having much knowledge of this type of drive, does anyone see this as a good idea with a powerful 350watt motor or is their potential problems

Reactions: oriteroom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The power won't cause any problems, some of Harley Davidson's huge engined motorcycles use these toothed belt drives and car camshafts are commonly driven through them.

So it's a very sensible maintenance free choice, only the possibility of not having a spare locally eventually being an inconvenience.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had a gates belted drive on th Grace, it performed well. What it didn't do well was to work with the Nuvinci hub.

I never new what was going on other than they appeared to arguing as who's at fault. In the mean time I was without a bike.

I understand the belt has been redesigned since, always a problem being one of the first users is the possibility of things showing up under normal use that didn't under testing.

It wouldn't bother me be having one again other than Rohloff don't like them with their gears.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You wouldn't think it would make difference if a belt or a chain was turning the sprocket on a hub gear, but it seems it does.

Peculiar things, bicycles.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are two differences, the belt is slightly less efficient, regardless of what their manufacturers claim, and it's tensions are normally higher to ensure no slippage.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There are two differences, the belt is slightly less efficient, regardless of what their manufacturers claim, and it's tensions are normally higher to ensure no slippage.
My contribution is always belt life - Gates give it as 'about twice that of a chain'.

Doesn't seem much given the expense of the belt and the cheapness of a chain.

Against that, I suppose, is the fact that most users don't use their bikes very much, so if you are changing a chain only every two or three years, a belt should last five or more.

Reactions: oriteroom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would say so too Rob, given my experience or working with toothed belt drives for years on static machinery and their use in cars.

But life is not the only advantage, the much greater one for most is the freedom from the tyranny of lubrication and cleaning that bedevils chains.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I would say so too Rob, given my experience or working with toothed belt drives for years on static machinery and their use in cars.

But life is not the only advantage, the much greater one for most is the freedom from the tyranny of lubrication and cleaning that bedevils chains.
Agreed.

But as your comments about efficiency and importance of tension demonstrate, the belt isn't quite the gold-plated win-win solution it first appears.

The only belt drive bike I've tried popped the belt off one of the rings after about half a mile.

That was the end of that, because you can't just wind it back on again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, it isn't. The alignment of belts is hyper critical, if it's not perfect they will either run off, or if side-guarded against that will chew themselves to ribbons.

But if set up properly they do have the mentioned advantages that many value highly. Given my experience of them, I'd be happy to have one on a utility e-bike. Conversely I certainly wouldn't want one on an unassisted sport bike, but since that would usually use a derailleur, it wouldn't be in question.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We have sold several of the BlueLABEL Charger beltdrive bikes I was impressed but this is in part due to the general quality of the bike. Although I agree it would be nice for them to last longer. The biggest advantage is that you do not need to lubricate it so ideal for someone who wants a low maintenance bike.

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My contribution is always belt life - Gates give it as 'about twice that of a chain'.

Twice the life? It would EddiePJ a lot longer with his rapid wearing of chains.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I did over 1000 miles on the Grace with no discernable alteration of the belts properties.

It shrugged off mud without any problems; I think it was the rear sprocket used at the time that gave me one of the problems. Should be all sorted now.

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand

I'd thought about altering my nuvinci for bbelt drive - but that seems daft for only double.

I've got probably over 2000 kms on my chain, with no problems, and it's maintainence so far has been the occasional squirt with the hose, and I once dribbled some car engine oil on it (Castrol Edge Sport, in case it makes a difference;))

verlindenroel

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Hi
I drive my kalkhoff endeavour with Gates belt since a week. I bought it for my daily travel from home to work (27km each way). I chose the belt drive because it's maintenance-free. After a few hundred km's I can say it's a great thing, in combination with the Shimano alfine.
It's only a petty that legislation in Belgium is not up-to-date with reality: speed pedelecs are sold, but for the law they are considered to be a motorcycle (helmet, licence plate, insurance etc etc ...). In reality: nobody does this and drives it as a normal bike (including myself).

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
We also have 8 and 11-speed Agattu Premiums with the belt drive
http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/activity.html

They all come with the CDX sprockets and belts with a centre track guide

It's a bicycle, so solving one problem can cause another.

The centre track belts all but prevent roll off, which is good.

But the downside is the wider belt makes a platform for grit to take up residence.

Grit on the inside of the belt, when mashed by the cogs, can wreck the belt.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I've had the use of a Scott Sub10 for a while now that is fitted with a Gates belt. I was almost tempted to buy it from the lad that owns it, until I saw the price of the replacement belts, and just as importantly the front sprocket cost. I can't remember what the costs were right now, but it was enough for me to think fook that.

The belt cost is simply big rip off as far as I can see, which is a bit like when I owned a Ducati. £80.00 plus for an OE cam belt, or £3.00 for the same belt with Fiat stamped on it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The belt cost is simply big rip off as far as I can see, which is a bit like when I owned a Ducati. £80.00 plus for an OE cam belt, or £3.00 for the same belt with Fiat stamped on it.
The FIAT name is actually initials which they say means:

Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (Italian Automobile Factory of Turin)

but from experience probably means:

Failure Is Always True. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, thus it ever was, vehicle makers often mark up bought in spares prices. I remember the fuss when Volvo's reboxed spares from makers such as Lucas were exposed as being tripled in price, expensive cardboard.

Advertisers