Gazelle 7

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Hi all,
Lazy male person in early 70 s just 100 kgs and looking to use this bike to get more exercise for my 6 ft 2 frame!!!
Have seen this bike which looks ideal for hybrid use.
Likely to be hybrid when footpath gets muddy so no serious off roading.
Tried Halfords carrera hybrid on free trial and loved the experience though not the bike as first ride was a 40 miler which I completed but got off walking like Dick Emery rather than John Wayne!!!!
At £2500 it appears expensive but as my wife says you get what you pay for !!! but am I buying a Bentley when there may be an Audi or Merc E class out there .
Likely to try to get out 3 times a week to get fit!!!???
Cycle centre Newcastle have been very helpful and no pressure in advising step over but would welcome any other opinions

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Geoff.

Gazelle are well built high quality bikes so the Orange C7 model should give good service and plenty of enjoyment.

They come in step-through and crossbar versions so you can choose what suits best.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Welcome to the forum Geoff.

Gazelle are well built high quality bikes so the Orange C7 model should give good service and plenty of enjoyment.

They come in step-through and crossbar versions so you can choose what suits best.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Thanks so much for your reply.
I am reluctant to move away from the shop where I got advice as they were helpful and not pushy at all and therefore deserve my support but they only stock Gazelle and Trex so not sure if there is better value elsewhere so I could always buy my accessories there and or pay him for his time /advice.

Thanks again

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the Gazelle "Dutch bike" upright style with full chaincase and hub gear is what you want, the choice is very restricted and the Gazelle is as good as it gets.

Other frame styles with derailleur gears and no chaincase have plenty of choice at similar quality levels, so let us know if you have other style preferences.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, I realise that. In its defense, the Gazelle I was working on had 5 years of active service and was in excellent working order. The electrics was a nightmare. The torque sensor was opto-electrical, a chain tensioner moves the piece of plastic in front of the optical sensor. The internal cable routing was done first then the cables terminated afterward so that if you want to redo any segment, you have to replace the connectors. The controller was integrated inside the front light etc. Just a very hard job replacing anything electrical,

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Thanks for replies as it is good to get other peoples views.
Went for step over as 70 year old flexability of knees is not as good as I hoped they were!
No fixed opinion otherwise.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes, I realise that. In its defense, the Gazelle I was working on had 5 years of active service and was in excellent working order. The electrics was a nightmare. The torque sensor was opto-electrical, a chain tensioner moves the piece of plastic in front of the optical sensor. The internal cable routing was done first then the cables terminated afterward so that if you want to redo any segment, you have to replace the connectors. The controller was integrated inside the front light etc. Just a very hard job replacing anything electrical,
I posted the link to ensure others coming into the thread knew what was being referenced.

That was Gazelle's second e-bike and first effort at full design of an e-bike, their first had the Panasonic motor without those problems of course. Now with the Bosch unit as you know it will again be free of them, like the Panasonic being with it's own electricals and torque sensor.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Flecc,
Thanks again for reply and sorry for delay in replying.
I think I am only wedded to the idea of
1: hybrid for the odd time off road and
2: step in for agility
so no issue with other variants of an electric bicycle with or without chaincase or hub gearing although it seems that this is the more "modern"? options

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so no issue with other variants of an electric bicycle with or without chaincase or hub gearing although it seems that this is the more "modern"? options
There's lots of choice and often at much lower prices. For example there's this Halfords Carrera Crosspath stepthrough hybrid at £1280, nearly down to half the Gazelle price and still using the Bosch Active Line motor. It has derailleur gears so no full chaincase, making it the more popular style in the UK.

At that price you could buy one for the wife as well and go riding together!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
The EBikes Direct site is good for information. They stock most of the makes that are run by people on this forum, apart from Woosh, who have their own site. It just seems easy to separate step-through from crossbar, and hub motor from mid-motor. I realise you wish to stay with your local man, but browsing for info does no harm - it is your money!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi all,
Lazy male person in early 70 s just 100 kgs and looking to use this bike to get more exercise for my 6 ft 2 frame!!!
Have seen this bike which looks ideal for hybrid use.
Likely to be hybrid when footpath gets muddy so no serious off roading.
Tried Halfords carrera hybrid on free trial and loved the experience though not the bike as first ride was a 40 miler which I completed but got off walking like Dick Emery rather than John Wayne!!!!
At £2500 it appears expensive but as my wife says you get what you pay for !!! but am I buying a Bentley when there may be an Audi or Merc E class out there .
Likely to try to get out 3 times a week to get fit!!!???
Cycle centre Newcastle have been very helpful and no pressure in advising step over but would welcome any other opinions
My personal preference is: Step-through frame, central battery for even weight distribution, hub gears (cleaner, neater and perfectly adequate), front suspension and hub motor for simplicity/cost. You are a little older than me, and I can assure you that rigid forks are hard going! There are lots of bikes that almost meet that spec, but nothing with all of them. If I'm wrong, tell me!

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Flecc mentioned the Halfords Carrera Crosspath. My wife has one and it performs flawlessly. Well specced bike with decent quality components. She paid £1400 for it (and that was a discount from £1600!), so its a bargain at £1280. I have used it from time to time instead of my CX equipped Cube bike. My only reservation would be that the motor is only 40Nm (Active Line - not Plus), and for a guy 100kg (same as me) you may find it a tad underpowered for climbing gradients. Believe me, when you are 100kg and have a smattering of health issues like me there is no substitute for Nm to get you over the hills. Happy hunting!

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Flecc mentioned the Halfords Carrera Crosspath. My wife has one and it performs flawlessly. Well specced bike with decent quality components. She paid £1400 for it (and that was a discount from £1600!), so its a bargain at £1280. I have used it from time to time instead of my CX equipped Cube bike. My only reservation would be that the motor is only 40Nm (Active Line - not Plus), and for a guy 100kg (same as me) you may find it a tad underpowered for climbing gradients. Believe me, when you are 100kg and have a smattering of health issues like me there is no substitute for Nm to get you over the hills. Happy hunting!

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Thought I would update this thread as time has long passed since helpful advice.
Life got in the way a bit as I had a diagnosis of prostate cancer Gleason 7 if interested and had to get my bits removed.
Bike now has 11000 miles on and have had no real problems except hub gear gave up in middle of covid but got the 8 speed as eventual fix replacement.
Then disaster 2 months ago
Battery gave up completely despite regular use etc.
Bike shop sucked their teeth and said 2 years warranty and yours is 2 years 3 months.
Replacement is 700 pounds please
Because of problems above they went in to bat for me and 3 days later a brand new battery!!!
Great service by Bosch.
If it had been me I would have charged 200 for use of old battery but now bike shop have have problem of returning old battery.suggests dump at aldi or lidl battery replacement recycling.
Hope this is of interest.
Ps lost another 10 kg as well

Reactions: flecc

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Thought I would update this thread as time has long passed since helpful advice.
Life got in the way a bit as I had a diagnosis of prostate cancer Gleason 7 if interested and had to get my bits removed.
Bike now has 11000 miles on and have had no real problems except hub gear gave up in middle of covid but got the 8 speed as eventual fix replacement.
Then disaster 2 months ago
Battery gave up completely despite regular use etc.
Bike shop sucked their teeth and said 2 years warranty and yours is 2 years 3 months.
Replacement is 700 pounds please
Because of problems above they went in to bat for me and 3 days later a brand new battery!!!
Great service by Bosch.
If it had been me I would have charged 200 for use of old battery but now bike shop have have problem of returning old battery.suggests dump at aldi or lidl battery replacement recycling.
Hope this is of interest.
Ps lost another 10 kg as well
Hi Geoff
Good to hear the cycling is going well, and you had a good experience with Bosch over the battery. I, too had prostate cancer with a Gleason score of seven back in 2006. In fact I got the diagnosis on my 52nd birthday which was delightful. Still here after 16 years, though, and still on the bike! Keep the pedals turning.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Thanks for your reply.
Now 25 months on and psa test last week shows clearance so those pedals will be turning in half an hours time.
May the next hill not be too steep and no rain on your outward journey.
Thanks again for your encouragement