Gazelle Orange Plus Innergy - Where is the controller?

otapi

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2019
Hi,

I have an old Gazelle Orange Plus Innergy (made in 2012). The e-bike started to be working properly only on very short distances, so I decided to renew the accumulator with a local tech. They installed new cells into the original accumulator case and the accu works with the original Gazelle charger and the display + lights works fine as well without any error message. It even shows the speed which info comes from the motor HUB. "Only" problem is that the motor doesn't start to work :( My tip is the sensor is faulty, so I decided to replace the sensor, the controller and the display to a third party one. But: I simply can't find the controller behind the front light where anyone else find it (like in the thread https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/controller-compatibility.32450/).
There are only two wires go to the front light and those are simply the ground and voltage to light the led.

The accumulator has only three wires connector - that doesn't enough for the controller.
Could be that the controller is built into the display? Or built into the frame (which would be strange as it can't be opened)?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

otapi

May 8, 2019
OK, I found the controller is built-in into the HUB on this model... Also, it has a simple rotate sensor like this:
How could I test either the rotate sensor or the HUB motor?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what you see in the box attached to the chainring is the torque sensor.
the controller is integrated inside the front lamp.
You can always open the torque sensor to see if there is anything obvious but in general, there is no simple way to diagnose the fault.

otapi

May 8, 2019
The motor cable has a fork: it's one tail goes to the accumulator and the other one goes to the display. Anyway, it is inside the motor HUB, as I found on one of Gazelle's user manual:

So, what I'm finding now, how could I test the rotation sensor and/or the motor HUB?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

otapi

May 8, 2019
If I would know for sure only the sensor is wrong, I would simply order a replacement for that, like this one: https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/branded-bicycle-parts/gazelle-bicycle-parts/gazelle-e-bike-sensors/gazelle-e-bike-sensor/gazelle-rotation-sensor-for-innergy-standard/

Otherwise yes, I will probable replace the whole system to a 3rd party one to make it easely repairable/maintainable later on. It is a shame for Gazelle, there are no any blueprints or at least a schematic drawing out there.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
as I said before, there is no simple way of testing the existing pedal sensor.
Buying a new sensor would make sense because the probability is you would not find anyone with the right knowledge nearby.
I would suggest you see how the sensor is fitted on your bike before buying. In the thread that I linked to, Emily spent money buying the wrong part.