Gear adjustment Eagle

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Trying to adjust gears on my Freego Eagle but can't seem to get lined up properly. It has a Shimano Tourney TX rear mech and a 7speed block. The lowest 7th being a large cog (easy to pedal should battery run out). I can get it to fifth ok no prob but into sixth is rattling and out of line as if it has gone too far. Unfortunately the low screw doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what I am doing wrong. It was working but took wheel off to change tyre. I understand that the Tourney is a cheapo and wondered if I may be better to change it, possibly with the block to give a higher top gear.

regards

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
If it worked before and not now I wonder if you bent the derailleur hanger, Is it hanging down straight?
There are some great videos on youtube about setting your derailleur.

D

Deleted member 4366

Here's the basic steps to adjust it, but first check that its mounting isn't bent. It should hang in the vertical plane. If it leans to the side, something is bent:
1. Select the highest gear on the shifter (smallest cog).
2. Unclamp the cable screw.
3. Adjust the high gear end stop screw until the chain is running perfectly on the high gear (smallest cog).
4. Fully screw in the cable adjuster.
5. Pull the end of the cable until you have just taken up all the tension, then tighten the clamp screw
6. Adjust the cable adjuster to take up any slack until the shifter shifts to the next gear perfectly with one click/push or whatever it does.
7. Slacken off the bottom gear end-stop screw.
8. Check for all the gear positions to bottom gear (largest cog). make small adjustments of the cable adjuster to get them all perfect.
9. Fix the bottom gear end stop to stop the derailleur going past bottom gear if you push the shifter any further.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for answers. Will change perfect up to five but then catching. Then will not come back down. Having taken a closer look I am wondering if the wheel is in right because the small cog looks very close to the frame. There are lugged washers either side and I have them to the outside but I think maybe they should be inside and that's what's throwing it out

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
managed to sort this. I had got the wheel in wrong and the 2 lugged washers needed to go on the inside but I was struggling as there didn't seem to be enough room. Rang Freego and spoke to Adrian who was very helpful and explained that the frame was designed to be tight and needed to be sprung apart a bit to get the washers in correctly. After that it was easy

Reactions: Emo Rider