Gear cable route.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Not related to an e-bike, but I’m sure the question will tap into someone’s knowledge.

I’m building a titanium road bike. The photo shows the underside of the bottom bracket ( BB) back wheel dropouts at the top of the photo.

How do I get the front & rear gear mech cables around the underside of the BB? As you can see, a cable clip is welded to the underside of the BB. This clip isn’t of the type which allows the inner cable core to slide over it. There is also a tapped hole in the middle of the BB, which I thought was for attaching a Nylon slider cable guide. But the hole is directly in line with the seat tube cable guide to the front mech. I can’t work out how to get the two cables around the BB. Traditional guides do not fit.

Any ideas please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alexa

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 26, 2018
Looks like you're meant to run the outer cable from the shifter all the way to that stopping point shown in the picture for the front mech. Likewise for the rear mech, it looks as if it just meant to be one long piece of outer cable.

Reactions: tillson

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Underside hole may be for a cable guide to fix in to , maybe a single like this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOTTOM-BRACKET-CABLE-HOLDER-GUIDE-BIKE-FRAME-HOUSING-BICYCLE-SHIFT-MTB-ROAD/123011023560?hash=item1ca40742c8:m:mvNCWo8S2IM1DGBeu4IZuag:rk:6:pf:0

Or as Alexa has said the outer cable simply runs under the BB and terminates with ferule into the seat tube guide.

The brazed one for the rear mech, looks like they are same clip type as used for brake cable guides/runs and allow for one piece outer to be used.

For a more definitive answer post the Q & pic on Cycling Uk forum.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=b71c0d5360f4816e8806da17920572c1

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Looks like you're meant to run the outer cable from the shifter all the way to that stopping point shown in the picture for the front mech. Likewise for the rear mech, it looks as if it just meant to be one long piece of outer cable.
100 % agree
You use full outers to there destinations
Front to the frame lug between the chain stays and rear to the derailer
And don’t put anything in that hole on the bottom bracket as it’s a drain hole

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The consensus seems to be to run the sheathed gear cable all the way to the termination point, which seems to make sense. It was the tapped hole which threw me, I mistakenly thought it was intended for a guide.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Enjoy the build
I love building bikes from a frame up project :)

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a Planet X (Sheffield company) Tempest V3 frame. I’ve bought carbon forks, full Ultegra disc group-set and Fulcrum 4 wheels. Just need to nail it all together now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Nev

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh, I know them well and buy plenty of stuff from them. Including one complete bike (though that was an on one , sister company )

Never bought a ti frame from them though, this looks far better than the last one I saw from them around 5/6 years ago

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Ahh, I know them well and buy plenty of stuff from them. Including one complete bike (though that was an on one , sister company )

Never bought a ti frame from them though, this looks far better than the last one I saw from them around 5/6 years ago

I was impressed by the quality of this frame. There are a few gems amongst the gear PX sell, bikes, clothing and accessories.

I agree with you, a friend had one of their Ti framed a few years ago and it wasn’t brilliant, but then again he paid quite a bit less than this Tempest V3 frame cost. I’m hoping this bike will turn out to be one of those you keep forever.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Planet x or On one

I had one of there ti frames about 4 yrs ago and it was superb
Just before that lynskey used to make there frames and we're having a few issues the one i had was made for them by van nicholas , i dont know if they still use van nicholas frames or someone elses now either way your frame looks nice and makes me think i need another one :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Planet x or On one

I had one of there ti frames about 4 yrs ago and it was superb
Just before that lynskey used to make there frames and we're having a few issues the one i had was made for them by van nicholas , i dont know if they still use van nicholas frames or someone elses now either way your frame looks nice and makes me think i need another one :)
I’m not sure who make the frames for them now. It seems nicely constructed and the welding looks superb. I’ve not ridden it yet, so can’t comment on how it feels.

Treat yourself, you know you want too :)

Reactions: Fat Rat