Gear Sensor Plug

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Is there any problem inherent in cutting the gear sensor plug off at the junction where the four wires go into one, is there a chance of a short causing an electrical problem. I was thinking of cutting it off flush with the plastic box and coating it with epoxy for waterproofing.

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
I don't know is the quick answer. more info needed, do you want to dis- able the sensor, is it not possible to remove the sensor from the cable ? ...I have been thinking of adding one to my set up ...Am I talking nonsense?

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Its just a tidying up thing, Trying to tuck the plug out of the way is yet another cable tie, i have tried using a gear sensor and i hated it so i am never going to use one again so the plug has got to go.

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Oh right , so if it's not plugged in to the control unit , there is no power to it, so I guess no problem doing what you are thinking ...Just a question what did you not like about it ? I just gently touch the brake lever to cut power when gear changing on my self build eMTB...

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I stop pedaling, change gear and carry on, except when i'm going up hill when i just change gear under load although i try to be in the right gear before i tackle the hill

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Yeah that helps ...this ebike stuff took me a bit of getting the hang of , on hills if the pedal sensor cuts the power at the wrong moment...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't try it with any voltage in the system as you could short the controller if v+ is always live.
Simply cutting through in one fair feel swoop would most likely lead to a short and controller damage if v+ is constant when power is applied. When cutting any wiring each wire should be cut singularly and insulated.it only needs a find strand or slight wire cross contact to cause a possible issue.

Last edited:

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
@Nealh lol i know enough not to cut wires while the system is live, i was 95% sure i could cut the plug off safely BUT i have been sure before and was wrong, so i though it would be prudent to double check. I cut the wire about 3/16" long, then stripped the outer leaving 3 wires protruding which i then bent in different directions and put a decent blob of epoxy on to seal them. operation successful and everythings fine now.