Gear shift lever

aeromys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2008

Had a fall on the ice last week and my Wisper 905 survived very well except for smashing the gear change lever :eek: Little bits of plastic ratchet all over the road and I'm now locked in 4th gear, which could be worse I suppose...
Anyway, should this befall anyone else the part you need is a Shimano TX50 7 speed shifter, fairly cheap at around a tenner but not often in stock. Googling around I've found one in Windsor and will hopefully fit it next week.
Ouch.

aeromys

Jul 8, 2008
Well the Windsor cycle shop let me down, despite advertising the TX50 on their website as in stock and confirming that by telephone, they then decided they couldn't source one and cancelled my order. Won't be going to them again...
Seems these things are much rarer than I first thought. I emailed Shimano tech support to see if any other models in their range might be suitable, as I was guessing (hoping) that all Shimano shifters pull and release the cable at the same ratio, even a 8 or 9 speed shifter would theoretically do the job. No reply from them for over a week :-(
Wisper down at Southampton have now come to my aid and found one on a crashed bike so hopefully my Wisper fixie will be geared up again soon :)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Well the Windsor cycle shop let me down, despite advertising the TX50 on their website as in stock and confirming that by telephone, they then decided they couldn't source one and cancelled my order. Won't be going to them again...
Seems these things are much rarer than I first thought. I emailed Shimano tech support to see if any other models in their range might be suitable, as I was guessing (hoping) that all Shimano shifters pull and release the cable at the same ratio, even a 8 or 9 speed shifter would theoretically do the job. No reply from them for over a week :-(
Wisper down at Southampton have now come to my aid and found one on a crashed bike so hopefully my Wisper fixie will be geared up again soon :)
I have read that all Shimano shifters have the same pull and they are not interchangable with SRAM.
Not that you need it anymore.

aeromys

Jul 8, 2008
Well Shimano came through in the end :) Having assumed they were ignoring me by not aknowledging my email for two weeks, they suddenly contact me out of the blue and despatch the shifter to a local dealer. I have gears again!

Big thanks to Stuart at Southampton for all the running around he has done trying to get one from China :)

Advertisers