Gecko tyres. Anyone know anything about them?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
My mate has just completed 31 miles on a bike fitted with Gecko foam filled tyres. For the last 5 miles I had to tow him (mine is a cross fuse with active line plus). We are suspecting it’s at least partly down to the rolling resistance of his Gecko foam filled tyres. With his weight on the bike there’s some strange noises come from them. Can anyone confirm this theory?
Mike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've never used them, but people often say that the foam filled tyres get through spokes really quickly; which is much worse than the occasional puncture (very occasional with Marathon Plus). I see Gecko claim to be different, but ...???

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's very likely the noises are the tyre rubber creaking against the rims. The dynamic pressures of the solid rubber tyres against the rim walls is nothing like that of inflatable tyres where the pressure is the same in all directions. If the noises are of a squelching or hissing nature, it could also be air escaping from the rim well as the solid tyre alternately compresses and relaxes it. In that case take off the tyres and and remove the rim tapes if they are still in place.

And solids always have higher rolling resistance as you've noted. If they really were a good alternative, most bikes would always have had them since they've always been available in one form or another.

Richard A

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2017
Somerset
My mate has just completed 31 miles on a bike fitted with Gecko foam filled tyres. For the last 5 miles I had to tow him (mine is a cross fuse with active line plus). We are suspecting it’s at least partly down to the rolling resistance of his Gecko foam filled tyres. With his weight on the bike there’s some strange noises come from them. Can anyone confirm this theory?
Mike
Is it possible you could pass on more details about your tyres i.e. what size Geckos were they and who fitted them? It may be that the rim tape was not removed before fitting. Our older 26 x 1.75 tyres do also have a larger rolling resistance but with a higher comfort rating. A high load could make the rolling resistance less desirable. Gecko Rubber has withdrawn the older 26 x 1.75" 'Gecko Comfort' tyre and recommends 26" wheel users fit the new E3 26 x 1.5" tyre which has a far lower rolling resistance.

Also the new E3 700 x 40 Gecko tyres have a lower rolling resistance than the older 'Gecko Comfort' 700 x 40 tyres yet still with good levels of comfort.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Richard A

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2017
Somerset
Is it possible you could pass on more details about your tyres i.e. what size Geckos were they and who fitted them? It may be that the rim tape was not removed before fitting. Our older 26 x 1.75 tyres do also have a larger rolling resistance but with a higher comfort rating. A high load could make the rolling resistance less desirable. Gecko Rubber has withdrawn the older 26 x 1.75" 'Gecko Comfort' tyre and recommends 26" wheel users fit the new E3 26 x 1.5" tyre which has a far lower rolling resistance.

Also the new E3 700 x 40 Gecko tyres have a lower rolling resistance than the older 'Gecko Comfort' 700 x 40 tyres yet still with good levels of comfort.

Hope this helps.
Please also see more details on the new Gecko tyres and how to fit them (with a video and further instructions) at www.geckorubber.co.uk You can also purchase them directly from the web site now.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc