Help! Generic newbie fretting about battery connectors

sgibbins

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2019
Hi all, apologies in advance for being generally uneducated about ebikes; I've just started putting together my conversion kit, and need some advice/support with a few things.

I have bought this 500W front wheel conversion kit and this battery (36V 13A), and installed the front wheel on my bike yesterday, and familiarised myself with the wiring and controller.

The battery has not arrived yet (grrr...), and I am worrying about how to connect it to the controller. The positive and negative wires for the battery come out of the controller with effectively bare ends, with just a small ring connector, like the ones in this picture:30667

My worry is that from the looks of the listing for the battery, the connector is a specific type that I will not be able to just screw the positive and negative wires into - here are the images form the eBay listing:

My questions are:
(1) Am I being completely stupid about how to connect the controller to the battery? Will it be a case of just wiring up red to red and black to black?

(2) If it's not going to be that simple, what type of connector will I need for the battery I've got? I'm being impatient about it, and probably should just wait for it to be delivered, but I'm wondering if anyone will be able to help now!

Thanks in advance; I look forward to having it all up and running!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cut off any connectors, then solder the wires directly together. Red to red and black to black. Use heat-shrink sleeve to insulate.

sgibbins

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2019
Cut off any connectors, then solder the wires directly together. Use heat-shrink sleeve to insulate.
That sounds nice and easy. Can I expect to have some wires coming out of the battery mount that clips to the bike?

Thanks for the speedy answer!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, you can expect it, but it's not 100% certain. With some batteries, you have to solder to the terminals inside the receiver, which means undoing a couple of screws to remove the cover.