Get rid of those troublesome hubs!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Check out the Beno Reevo Ebike.
No hubs!

(Popped up on Google news)
Certainly presents lots of interesting engineering challenges. I wonder if they've solved them all satisfactorily? Surprisingly not that expensive.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Interesting, but I wonder how the drive mechanism will hold up to dirt, dust and mud? It will probably work fine on the streets in towns and cities, where its far cleaner than where I go.....
I wonder how easy it will be to remove/replace a tyre.....? At night, to possibly repair a puncture.....
The early buyers will be able to test it for the rest of us.
It certainly "has the look!"
Andy
PS. As made, it appears to not be legal for the EU and the UK...

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
There's a still a bearing in there somewhere, and methinks it's going to be more complex than a hub.
It looks cool, but at 55lb it weighs rather a lot.

A solution looking for a problem?

(There is a Euro spec version on their Indiegogo page though, but you'll need to pay VAT, import duty etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Check out the Beno Reevo Ebike.
No hubs!
Hmmm. Looks interesting for sure.

You know what bothers me most though?
The fingerprint sensor!

Maybe its just me and my phone, but while I find the fingerprint sensor on that works 100% of the time in 'normal' conditions. It gets less and less reliable the hotter/colder/sweatier/whatever I get after I've been exercising!
To the point that it just won't work at all if I've been out for say a run in the rain!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hmmm. Looks interesting for sure.

You know what bothers me most though?
The fingerprint sensor!

Maybe its just me and my phone, but while I find the fingerprint sensor on that works 100% of the time in 'normal' conditions. It gets less and less reliable the hotter/colder/sweatier/whatever I get after I've been exercising!
To the point that it just won't work at all if I've been out for say a run in the rain!
Yes, a fingerprint sensor can only be an easier way to access something rather than a more secure way. ... Simple things like cut bandaged finger.

But at least with no spokes it's going to be easier to get a lock through the wheel.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I wonder how long those fancy bearing will last one you've hit a pot hole or two...

I also wonder how well it seals when you ride through water.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Yes, a fingerprint sensor can only be an easier way to access something rather than a more secure way. ... Simple things like cut bandaged finger.

But at least with no spokes it's going to be easier to get a lock through the wheel.

Oh no! I can see fingers being cut off now so bikes can be stolen! :D

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I wonder how easy it will be to remove/replace a tyre.....? At night, to possibly repair a puncture.....
"How do I change the tires of Reevo?
Thanks to the one-sided fork and chainstay, changing tires is easier than ever. Just release the air and the tire can be pulled off the left side."

Reactions: Amoto65

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
No mudguards
No carrier
No lights
No wheel reflectors
No practicality
No point
You have to wonder just why someone goes to all this effort when there is no real problem in the first place.
You may as well advertise,
'Get rid of that troublesome bike'
and offer roller skates.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You have to wonder just why someone goes to all this effort when there is no real problem in the first place.
A lot of bikes are sold on looks.
they have already raised £1.6 millions through indiegogo.
That should be enough to develop the technology.
They suggest shipping from April 2021. I reckon it's difficult to keep with Covid still raging.

Reevo : The Hubless E-Bike | Indiegogo

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Isn't this the sort of thing David Nixon would have shown us on his TV show?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I wonder what sort of ride you get from it. I notice in the videos that the riders don't seem to want to put their bum on the saddle. It reminds me of the Mercedes Smart bike, which wasn't too bad apart from comfort. It was just too stiff, so you felt every bump. This one must be even stiffer because there are no spokes and a very short rigid fork. Also, the riding position looks a bit hunched. I can't see any provision for adjusting anything other than seat height.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Integrated lights. Tyres easy to change.
I mean proper lights, I've yet to see integrated lights on a bike that were any good.

I like the idea of single side supported wheels but doubt this will last very long, supported at only one point of the wheel rim. And the overall disadvantages of this design overwhelm the very rare advantage of easier tyre removal.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if manufacturers wanted to have easy tyre change, they only have to make a split frame like those for the belt drive.
This design is a step backward - to pre 1808 when George Cayley proposed the wire wheel.

• Agree