Giant e+ 29 3 feels notchy

Darren8877

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2020
Hi just wanted to know if anyone can help
I’ve just bought a giant e+ 29 3
I just read a thread similar but couldn’t comment on it so if anyone can tag me in any similar that would be great.
Now then my bike Is brand new and I’ve only done 11 miles on it. Now let me try and explain this the best way I can. When riding and peddling it’s perfect but if I stop peddling and coast for any amount of time then once I then go to peddle again it sort of feels notchy! When I say notchy I mean it’s notches once before engaging and powering me along. So it’s sort of gerks once then kicks in as normal. I know being an ebike there is a small amount of crank movement before it kicks in it’s just the notch/gerk just before that just doesn’t feel right to me. I hope that makes sense as seems hard to explain. The bike is going back to the shop in a couple of weeks for a routine check over as they told me once I’ve had it for 6 weeks they wanted me to bring it in to make sure all is ok but as I’m new to these sort of ebikes I didn’t know if this was a problem or if it’s normal. Any help would be much appreciated so thank you all in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some systems aren't very smooth in the transition area between assistance cut off and engaging again, it might be a software issue so bring it up at the 6 week service or get it looked at sooner.

I use KT systems on my bikes and the transition is seamless with good tapering in and off of assistance.

Reactions: Darren8877

Darren8877

Jun 23, 2020
Thank you very much.
what’s a kt system?
yes I think I’ll ring giant tomorrow and see if I can pop it down this weekend! It’s no big deal but just isn’t something I was really expecting from a brand new bike. Thanks a lot for your advice though I really appreciate it

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is normal you just have to get used to it with the Yamaha motors they engage pretty fast my bosch motor does the same thing just have to be carful esp when going round cycle barriers in turbo mode lol.

Darren8877

Jun 23, 2020
Ok that’s great thanks for letting me know. I did think that there surely couldn’t be anything wrong with it but just also thought I’m sure it’s not right, if that makes sense. Well thanks for the advice all your lots knowledge is unreal and I knew I had an answer within the hour

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you need to bed in all the bearings from new and can take 100-200 miles and will then be more smooth after that so just get the miles in ;)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I had the same in the early days with my Shimano motor. There is a relative movement between the pedals and the drive system - not much, just a degree or two. Thinking from a design and safety perspective, that allows an 'on/off' sensing of whether the rider is pedalling, as a backup to the proportional measurement done by the torque sensor. So if the torque sensor fails, there is still a way to detect that the rider has stopped pedalling, cut the motor assistance off, and preserve safety.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT system is a non oem electronics used bt diy bike builders like me, they are by far one of the best ones available at very good prices. Mostly used for hub drive bikes but can be used with mid motor drives.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I had the same in the early days with my Shimano motor. There is a relative movement between the pedals and the drive system - not much, just a degree or two. Thinking from a design and safety perspective, that allows an 'on/off' sensing of whether the rider is pedalling, as a backup to the proportional measurement done by the torque sensor. So if the torque sensor fails, there is still a way to detect that the rider has stopped pedalling, cut the motor assistance off, and preserve safety.
I have similar on my (five year old) Bosch. I never notice it as I start to apply real power as it engages (or whatever) so quickly, but if I am idly turning the pedals and almost pushing it sometimes clicks in and out. As others have said, marginally irritating but not an issue as long as you know what's happening.

I always assumed it was the torque sensor engaging; it would be much simpler to use standard rotation sensor than something so mechanical as a torque sensor backup.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, ve just got same bike... Replacing Haibike (which I, m currently repairing)
Mine feels fine.. Not quite as powerful initially as Haibike but think that more to do with delivery than outright torque. (it's same motor)
Both great bikes. Crank bearings went on Haibike.. After 6000 miles.. Shop said new motor. (£1000) so I, ve stripped it down and fitting new bits. (will cost £150)..
In mean time bought Giant. Can't have too many bikes.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

Darren8877

Jun 23, 2020
I, ve just got same bike... Replacing Haibike (which I, m currently repairing)
Mine feels fine.. Not quite as powerful initially as Haibike but think that more to do with delivery than outright torque. (it's same motor)
Both great bikes. Crank bearings went on Haibike.. After 6000 miles.. Shop said new motor. (£1000) so I, ve stripped it down and fitting new bits. (will cost £150)..
In mean time bought Giant. Can't have too many bikes.

Darren8877

Jun 23, 2020
No you can’t ever have too many. Oh ok interesting that yours feels fine. Well it’s booked in this Saturday for a health check so I will mention it and see what they say. I have a feeling from all the other comments that it is just normal but we will see and I will post an update

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No you can’t ever have too many. Oh ok interesting that yours feels fine. Well it’s booked in this Saturday for a health check so I will mention it and see what they say. I have a feeling from all the other comments that it is just normal but we will see and I will post an update
Having now done a decent ride on mine (28km)I,m fairly sure it's smoother than Haibike and that was fine..
One thing I have noticed, on down shifts its advantageous to stop peddling (well stop putting torque through) earlier than in Haibike. Sometimes you can't, but when changing down I like to do so under no power, it just seems quieter, smoother. Haibike cut off almost immediately it sensed no torque, the Fathom seems to take half a turn or so... If you change before power has stopped it can be a bit clunky. (the Fathom has a bigger spread in cassette than Haibike, obviously the bigger the change the more tendency to clunk)
I, m very mechanically sympathetic with bike gears, rather lose a bit of pace then do a clunky change, you can always get it back on ebike... (in 6000 miles on other bike I, m still only on third cassette, and it's fine)
Actually having checked, it's still only my second... Bought a new one, but didn't fit it last chain change. (on 3rd chain, original chain ring)
If I get motor sorted I will treat it to new Chain Ring, chain, cassette and derailleur..
It needs head bearings too... And new pads... But waiting until I know motor is fixable.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
At the risk of straying off topic, how do you get full screenshots of your phone onto here? I'm laptop literate but well behind the phone curve!
Click attach files icon below comments box, find relevant file (mine are in media, and I have set it to show thumb nails rather than code)
Click on file. Uploads in a second or 2..Then system takes you back to this... Click full image or thumbnail in selection... Click save comment..
But I, d guess that process varies phone to phone.. Never use lap top..
Good luck.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
But, one of reasons I posted graphs, the elevation one self explanatory, not sure about the power graph.. I, d guess the traces are bike and rider? The sharp erratic one bike? The other the rider but is it? I wouldn't be putting power in bike on down hills so why does power appear fairly constant and never dropping to zero. (one of the 2 traces)
Anybody know anything about power graphs?
Cheers.
Sorted it, power is overplayed over elevation.. In app it can be switched off leaving whatever you are looking at in isolation.. Dohhh.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
At the risk of straying off topic, how do you get full screenshots of your phone onto here? I'm laptop literate but well behind the phone curve!
Numerous ways, but as an example:
I have an android phone and I have dropbox installed on both the phone and my computer. When on my phone, if I take a photo, or perform a screengrab (on a Samsung phone, its some weird side of the hand down swipe action), then dropbox will automatically sync these images to the computer.

Reactions: matthewslack

Related Articles

Advertisers