Giant Explore E+1 Pro

Crazyj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
I ordered one of these a couple of days ago - does anyone here own one? I tried a couple of similar Giant e-bikes with lower powered motors (60Nm and 70Nm), and was very impressed with the power of the latter; the Pro motor on the one I have ordered has 80Nm.....so I imagine there will be much fun to be had. Just keen to hear anyone's thoughts who owns or who has experience of one of these :)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have a 2020 Giant Fathom E+2 (70Nm) which goes up to 350% though I very rarely go above mode three at 175%. That's for the steepest hills around here so I think you'll find enough power, you may even want to tune the power down in the lower modes!
Dave.

Reactions: Crazyj

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
I have a 2020 Giant Fathom E+2 (70Nm) which goes up to 350% though I very rarely go above mode three at 175%. That's for the steepest hills around here so I think you'll find enough power, you may even want to tune the power down in the lower modes!
Dave.
Yes, I've been reading that the Pro motor is quite pokey....and that the range is quite a bit less than the Sport motor....I hadn't realised that when ordering!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I ordered one of these a couple of days ago - does anyone here own one? I tried a couple of similar Giant e-bikes with lower powered motors (60Nm and 70Nm), and was very impressed with the power of the latter; the Pro motor on the one I have ordered has 80Nm.....so I imagine there will be much fun to be had. Just keen to hear anyone's thoughts who owns or who has experience of one of these :)
I am a bit surprised that you ask us for our combined opinions AFTER you have placed an order! Surely the best way would be to investigate first, order afterwards?
Over a great many years of purchasing everything from houses to push bikes, that is the wayI have always done it, with of course MS Excel (my favourite MS Tool, though I am no expert!) to compare like "things".
I personally dislike (as many here already know!) mid motor bikes, because all the ones I have seen up to now, have a "single point of failure" in the drive chain (literally!).
Plus, unacceptable for me personally, higher wear rates on certain other key components, and the bikes are usually priced well above that of general Hub motor e-bikes. I have Scottish blood, that sounds like wasting money to me personally, but each must be allowed his own choice in the matter of course!
Some e-bikes are even made by companies, that use sophisticated electronics in all the components, which "talk to each other", if something goes wrong, you get a "dead" bike!!! That is done, just to prevent not only DIYers repairing/replacing parts (after the guarantee has run out), but even the dealers who sell them, are usually not "allowed" to repair some parts in the drive chain! It has to be sent back to "head office!"
Someone wrote here on Pedelec recently (with more knowledge than I have) that is actually illegal under the law in the UK and EU!
But if you accept all that, I hope and trust that you are only happy with your purchase.
Some very vocal mid motor owners here, are apparently, on an individual basis, have achieved reasonably long lived bikes according to them, but generally mid motor bikes have, according to many reliable sources on the web, a far higher rate of attrition.
Searching the web carefully (don't just believe me, though I have quoted many sources in my posts here on Pedelec!), will demonstrate that quite quickly......
Many of these owners can tell you exactly what is in any mid motor, what sound is made when something goes wrong, post videos of such things, know to adjust it and where parts may be procured. Generally speaking, there is an immense amount of knowledge that quite a few have somehow gained, of their mid motors!
That suggests to me, that there is a lot of repair work needed generally, as no truly sane person disassembles such a complex unit, "just for fun!" surely! Plus many of the motors need special tools, which are demonstrated on YouTube by many people....
But silly old me ,with almost 10 years of rear hub e-bikes (2), cannot even tell you if either of my hub motors have even has loctited screws or not (the reason someone gave me recently for not buying a hub motor e-bike!!!!!), because neither motor and none of the 3 batteries I have owned have ever gone wrong! Both are generic, with no makers name on them, thats how cheap they were!
And by the way, I am an AVID DIYer! But why touch a running machine?
It is of course the personal choice of everyone how,when and what he buys.
Let us hope that everyone is happy with the results! I can only say that I am.
Regards
Andy
PS. The mid motor brigade will shortly be up in arms, posting and telling us all that mid motors are truly the best. I bet within a few hours of them reading my post here is quite usual!
But I see it as a free world, and there are a lot of people around with exactly the same take, who post on the internet, and I can place such links here if they start!!

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
I am a bit surprised that you ask us for our combined opinions AFTER you have placed an order! Surely the best way would be to investigate first, order afterwards?
Thanks for your reply and interesting views. I guess the debate over which is best, hub motors or crank motors, will rage on ad nauseum.

My post, though, is asking if anyone owns one of these bikes (which I ordered AFTER much deliberation and research) and was really interested in views, gratuitous photos, videos etc (already trawled YouTube) from fellow Giant Explorer owners.

Reactions: D C

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
My post, though, is asking if anyone owns one of these bikes (which I ordered AFTER much deliberation and research) and was really interested in views, gratuitous photos, videos etc (already trawled YouTube) from fellow Giant Explorer owners.
You get used to it, any chance he gets to give his sermon on his hatred of mid-motor bikes he does regardless of the topic. I am sure you will have a great time with your new bike, a friend of mine is a dealer for them and he has had no trouble with them. Enjoy.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Yes, I've been reading that the Pro motor is quite pokey....and that the range is quite a bit less than the Sport motor....I hadn't realised that when ordering!
I wouldn't be concerned about that, you'll be able to change the assistance levels to settings that suit you, the less assistance of course and the greater the range.
Giant make good strong bikes and after over a thousand miles and a lot of hills I'm extremely pleased with the performance, build quality and component quality of mine as I think you will be with yours.
I'm 92 kilo, and pedal hard at times, there's no appreciable drive train wear though I do look after my bikes and keep them clean and lubricated.
I've been "electric" for several years starting with a front hub motor, then a rear hub and finally after a great deal of research the mid drive Giant which for my requirements is the one I prefer. I still use the rear hub bike (Woosh Kit), it's excellent and would certainly be many peoples first choice for commuting but having said that I would be happy to use the Giant as there isn't much effort required if the higher assist levels were used.
Andy is trying to be helpful and informative, he's never owned a mid drive but still of course entitled to his opinion though not gleaned from his personal experience.
There don't seem to be many Giant owners on the forum maybe we should start a Giant thread!
They will seem long days until your bike arrives:)
Dave.

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
There don't seem to be many Giant owners on the forum maybe we should start a Giant thread!
They will seem long days until your bike arrives:)
Dave.
Sounds like a plan! Yes, the days are certainly dragging.....

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My wife's 25 year old Giant (non-electric) still going well. Heavily used till just over a year ago when we bought a Motus which we share. We don't use the Giant much now, only when we both go out at the same time but to different places.

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
My wife's 25 year old Giant (non-electric) still going well. Heavily used till just over a year ago when we bought a Motus which we share. We don't use the Giant much now, only when we both go out at the same time but to different places.
Good to hear

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Maybe this thread could be re-named as a Giant owners thread, thanks to Crazyj it's off to a good start. :)
Dave

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You get used to it, any chance he gets to give his sermon on his hatred of mid-motor bikes he does regardless of the topic. I am sure you will have a great time with your new bike, a friend of mine is a dealer for them and he has had no trouble with them. Enjoy.
Which still riles up the same old same old, apparently....
But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and entitled to it, without being attacked in any way shape or form....
Plus, I can and have, posted many instances demonstrating that the wear and tear on such systems, under the same/similar riding, is known and accepted by many "in the business!"
I have posted the links detailing that, and all I get back are "opinions" and bad mouthing!!!! But no links from reputable sources!!!
Now that tells me quite a lot!
I would really like it if the facts were otherwise, especially for all those people who paid out relatively large sums of money in good faith, for such a bike....
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why do you think i have mavic dmax pro mtb wheels on my bike that cost a grand on there own.

because when im flying down a hill going 50mph on a mtb track i want the strongest lightest wheels possible.

i have a £250 rear mech just to save a bit more waight same as all the other things i have changed like £400 carbon crank arms and £120 clip less pedals that have clips, still dont get that lol

it does not matter what bike you have if you hammer the crap out of it and just do not bother to look after it and service every part it wont last long no matter how much you spend.

it cost me about £25 to service my front fork or rear sus with new seals/ oil if you had to pay for that service it is going to cost £300 for a shop to do both.

thats just one of the things that go out the window when looking at bikes with the latest spec and expensive parts like suspension components they have to be serviced and if you dont bother and parts need to be replaced it will get expensive fast.

i do plan on getting a bosch cx motor for my bike as go for about 300 quid on ebay and get my original battery recelled this year buy jimmy for about the same price.

it is 5 years old after all and i try to kill it every day ;)

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
Met someone last year at a car show, a giant pro e was chained to a fence a very nice looking ebike .

I waited till the owner came to unlock his giant e, and had a chat he was very pleased with giant e (80 n m ) version. But mostly used lower settings

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
Met someone last year at a car show, a giant pro e was chained to a fence a very nice looking ebike .

I waited till the owner came to unlock his giant e, and had a chat he was very pleased with giant e (80 n m ) version. But mostly used lower settings
Good to hear, thank you. I have some ridiculously steep hills all around me here in SW Cornwall so I’m hoping the extra grunt will serve me well, rather than be overkill.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Is this the Yamaha motor?

Crazyj

Apr 30, 2020
Hi mate, just wondering how you're getting on with the bike.

I'm thinking of getting the Giant DailyTour E+1 which has the SyncDrive Life motor (60Nm).

Regards
David
Hi
I tried the Dailytour E+1, very nearly bought it as it is a very good bike. Then I tried the Explore +1 Pro and the difference in power (an extra 20Nm) was night and day. My fitness levels aren’t great though, so the extra assistance on the hills was very welcome. More expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I’ve put a Brooks saddle on it and a suspension seatpost and it’s a very comfortable and powerful bike now. I love it. But you won’t be short changed with the Dailytour E+1, great bike and good spec too

Reactions: DavidHolden