Giant Lafree battery connection question

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I got a new bike yesterday! I managed to find a Lafree. The chap at Vita Electric, the dealer in Hampstead, was selling off his demonstration model, so I decided to buy it and took delivery yesterday. It performed well on the ride home. Battery handled the c.10 mile trip with plenty left over and the ride very pleasant, so very pleased with it so far!

Getting to the point, I have some spare lead acid cells which came with a Powabyke I bought a few months ago. I believe they are new, 12v 10Ah cells. At the moment they are just sitting around in my garage. I'm thinking about connecting two of them (in series) to make a spare battery for the Lafree, for long trips, etc. I imagine I could connect it via the same means as Jeff's modification as discussed on this forum and set out on his site.

Before I dive in and have a go, can anyone please tell me if there is a reason why I can't do this, it wouldn't work, or otherwise shouldn't attempt it!

Thanks

Frank

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Should be no problems Frank. The peak fully charged voltage on the lead acids will be less than the peak fully charged of the standard NiMh, so no risk to the electronics.

I don't know how old your demonstrator is, but when recelling time comes for the battery, there's details of that and lots more on my Twist site.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks, Flecc. I shall get round to doing it at some point, and post how it works.

I've read through your site a few times and will definately have a go at recelling when the time comes to do that. The battery is actually 4 years old but it does seem to be holding decent charge. From what he said I estimated it might have had about a hundred charges, so should have a bit more life in it. I shall find out tomorrow when I try the 25-mile round trip to work and back!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It wouldn't go that far when new Frank, 20/22 miles tops with luck. That will be down to about 10 to 13 miles now in continuous use, all those dependant on the terrain of course.

At the very least take the charger with you if you've got it to work.