Help! Giant Lafree lite 2005-7 ish

paddy123654

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
Hi all,

Recently been given a giant lafree e bike 05 ish been sat for years but a nice project to get through lockdown.

Atleast I thought it would be fun

I managed to get the bike running really nice it had a blown fuse it the battery, changed that and happy days, for all of 2-3 miles.

on the way home no power nothing, assumed the battery had died so charged up and tried again,

Now the bike has power, as indicated by the light on the switch but there is no power to the motor when pedalling at any speed.

So after searching to no avail I figured I'd ask here, does anyone have any knowledge on the panasonic motors that were used then ? Or if it is terminal is there anyway of replacing the motor ?

The bike is really nice to ride when it works so would be a shame to give up on it.

cheers

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no official technical knowledge on these from Panasonic and their policy was repair by replacement. However these units are long discontinued so not available and they never made any spares for the motor unit internals. The internal circuit board is fully encapsulated into the alloy casting so unrepairable anyway. However there are a very few faults that can be repaired and I have a support site you can use for the necessary information, but don't build your hopes up too much since they are very limited. Years ago when there were a few failed ones about more was possible by salvaging parts, but there isn't much around now.

Here's the link:

Panasonic Unit Index Page

It's the six links for the Old Type unit that you need.

Last edited:

paddy123654

Just Joined
Sep 23, 2020
There's no official technical knowledge on these from Panasonic and their policy was repair by replacement. However these units are long discontinued so not available and they never made any spares for the motor unit internals. The internal circuit board is fully encapsulated into the alloy casting so unrepairable anyway. However there are a very few faults that can be repaired and I have a support site you can use for the necessary information, but don't build your hopes up too much since they are very limited. Years ago when there were a few failed ones about more was possible by salvaging parts, but there isn't much around now.

Here's the link:

Panasonic Unit Index Page

It's the six links for the Old Type unit that you need.
Cheers that's exactly what I was looking for!

I know it might be a lost hope just hoping it would be a cheaper entry to ebikes before taking the plunge

Advertisers