good e-bike workshops

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Good day everyone (although here it's rainy)

I was just wondering if there are any recommendations on how to find a workshop that will be able to service/repair an e-bike which they don't sell at a reasonable cost? I have been turned down by four cycle workshops in Birmingham on the grounds that "as we don't sell Gazelles, we can't replace inner tubes, because we are not covered by insurance in case we break something".

Any suggestions are very welcome.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Last edited:

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks for the tips, will check out myself. Honestly, what's up with decent bike shops in Birmingham? Live there myself and so far four shops I've asked at have refused to consider converting my pushbike which I am hoping to get Whooshed. Anything from "we only deal with bikes, ebikes aren't real bikes so we won't help" through to "our insurance doesn't cover us". Except for the first one however, they were all happy to sell me a £5000 off-the shelf ebike though they admitted they wouldn't know how to fix or service it.

With that level of customer service I expect not long from now will be a host of disgruntled customers in the city who have spent as much as a used car buying a bike that they can't use because noone's prepared to service them or fix things that need replacing.

On an aside, does anyone know a bikeshop near Birmingham that could fit a Whoosh or similar conversion kit? Must be street legal, nothing fancy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
plenty of you tube vids to learn from but you will need some tools it is not very hard if you have the right stuff.

i gave up with bike shops years ago as i had a stuck xd driver and rang every one only to be told not interested, what is a xd driver or dont do mtbs.

i did find a race bike shop that said would have a go but never had a clue either and i had to help them remove it with there tools pmsl.

funny thing is they now sell ebikes :p id not let them service one tho ;)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh