Good responses to being called a "cheat"

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
In five years I have occasionally been called a cheat. Today I replied for the first time. (On a fairly steep ascent 2 cyclists jokingly called me a cheat as I took-over. I replied "Well, I hope I'm not too demoralizing" they were going about 4 mph and I was going about 8 mph. They laughed). I later met them at the top and chatted briefly, they were too out of breath.

Have you ever replied successfully?

thanks,
J.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I mentioned in another thread my last responce
Do you take the p### out of wheelchair users aswell

Reactions: tillson

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
it,s only cheating if you are competing to win a prize.
usualy cheating comments come from non cyclists so snappy comebacks are easy with replies like ;
how did you get to work then?
i bet i put in more effort than you on my journey.
and the comment from a less able bodied ebike user who said something along the lines of "yes i suppose it may be cheating for an able bodied cyclist" must have made the other person think before opening their mouths again.
some of the folks who comment cheat can also be silenced if they are given a try of the bike.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I once got called a cheat by walkers, when I was on a non-electric bike. I laughed, and they did too.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I reply with "Its a pedelec" and just look at them as though they should know what I have just said! This usually brings expressions of non comprehension, although some pretend to know what it is when its obvious they dont, I then add it doesnt ride itself!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
When I was accused of cheating, by an exhausted middle-aged rider, on off-road singletrack at a bike hub, my reply was
"Have you just ridden back up from the bottom of the Timber Trail? "
"Yes!"
"So have I" - Big grins from his mates :D

Reactions: Alan Quay