Got me an X-6 (finally)

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Well, it's here at last. First impressions are that it's pretty damn fabby! :D
Due to commitments at home I've only really done a couple of miles on it today but it really is great fun. Took a bit of getting used to how the power comes in as it takes 3-4 seconds for it to kick in. And at first I thought I was going to have to take it back as the power kept dipping out, then I realised that this was probably because I was going faster than 15mph. I experimented a bit with dropping my speed and keeping the throttle open and sure enough the power would come back on again. Hills and Headwinds? I laughed at them! :D I intentionally went looking for a couple of hills, oh alright, minor inclines that were at the end of my route home when I was able to cycle to work. The x6 ate them for breakfast and asked for more! A shame I couldn't give it more of a workout but I'm planning to travel to work on it on Tuesday so hopefully it's going to get me all the way there without the battery giving up the ghost.

Here's a picture of it with my trusty old Claud Butler. I really can't see why everyone says the x-6 is ugly? There's really not a lot between them. Maybe that means my CB is a munter too? I'm even quite fond of the rocket launcher (sorry Frank) but it would look a hell of a lot better with out the blue cap at the end.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Congratulations. Nothing beats getting your hands on the electric beasty after a long agonising wait. Hope we get some unseasonably good weather this week. :)

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Nice looking bike RAD you will have to come over and we can take each others bikes out for a spin:D .
I finished biulding my Hot Chili Xrage,with a big Mammoth fat sunrim rear wheel, 350watt Fwd Ezee motor, 48volt ping battery and Magura hydraulic rim brakes beasty a few weeks ago.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers guys. Aaaaaaaaandy, how about sometime early in the new year mate? Approaching Xmas is always hectic for me I doubt I'll have a weekend free until after the turkey sarnies are all gone! :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Mmmmhhh turkey sarnies :)

Certainly no munters in that photo!

Looks like the weather outlook has taken a downturn for the week though with some very seasonal sleet and snow on the way Mon Tues & Wed. Looks like the car this week ::(

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Well, this morning I took my first journey on the X-6. It was effin freezin! :D

I promised my missus I'd wear a helmet after years of just sticking a beanie on my head and I did think my ears were actually going to fall off and shatter on the road. They warmed up after a couple of miles in and from then on I could enjoy the journey. I probably put in more effort on the pedals than I should have, at one point going uphill I could really feel myself working. Then I realised where I was going wrong and changed down so as to let the motor do more of the work. I absolutely breezed up the hill. The battery stayed on three lights until I was about 2 miles away from work and then it was only flickering, alternating between 2 lights under power and three with the throttle shut off. I got to work feeling like I'd exercised which is important to me, as I want to get fit again. My legs felt like they'd been on a work out and there was a small amount of perspiration on my forehead, but considering I'd just done double the distance I used to do I felt remarkably well. My previous 20 minute/4.5 mile ride used to leave my lungs wracked and I'd be covered in sweat. These electric bikes are a bit good aren't they? :D

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Que?

Totally lost me there mate.

Aaaaah I see, she wasn't at all bad. Loved herself a bit. But then looking like that I guess she'd be allowed too :D

Last edited:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
glad to see you got your x6 Rad. The more i see it in pictures/"flesh" it looks better and better, and it's good to finally hear some comments on it's performance. Interested in how many journeys you get per a charge.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers Matty. To honest I took my charger with me and charged it at work, then put it on charge again when I got home. I reckon I did the best part of 7 miles before that first battery indicator started to flicker, and it seemed to last longer on the way home.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
so is it easy to disconnect/connect the battery to recharge - i.e is it a screw connection or simply - ahem - pulls off ?

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
It pulls off, but is a very snug fit and takes a bit of welly. I keep meaning to bung a bit of wd40 on it.

Last edited:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Gutted

:confused: Rode into work this morning, everything hunky dory.
Rode home and straight away could hear a noise coming from the front wheel. Sort of a metallic sound but similar to the noise you'd get from having something stuck in the spokes. At first I thought It may be that the front wheel reflector had worked loose? So I messed about with it a bit but that didn't do it. I can't replicate the noise just by spinning the wheel. It only occurs when the bike has weight on it. Any ideas folks?

I'm taking it back to Hellfords on Saturday but the mechanic I spoke with confessed that he didn't know a lot about them, so unless it was something obvious it might have to go back either to ETS in Cambridge or Powabyke themselves. I feel totally deflated, it's not even done 30 miles yet. :(

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sorry to hear you've got a problem already Rad :( . Why not try posting the noise issue as a different thread, Maybe someone from Powabyke might see it. They have members on the forum. Have you tried conracting Powabyke. I'd have though they'd be very keen not to have an unhappy customer. Dealing with Hellfords straight off is probably going to be frustrating. Good Luck...

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers Barnowl. I did speak to Powabyke first. They suggested that I should take it back to Hellfords in the first instance. I might e-mail Frank and see what he thinks.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
sorry to hear about this Rad, and having dealt with Halfords with regards to an e-bike, I don't envy you.

Best that Powabyke get it sorted ASAP.

Do Halfords have another one in stock ? Where do you stand with an immediate swapout as the bike is basically only 1 week old and if Halfords can't fix it themselves....

cheers

Mat

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
sorry to hear about this Rad, and having dealt with Halfords with regards to an e-bike, I don't envy you.

Best that Powabyke get it sorted ASAP.

Do Halfords have another one in stock ? Where do you stand with an immediate swapout as the bike is basically only 1 week old and if Halfords can't fix it themselves....

cheers

Mat
I doubt Halfords have another in stock as they got this one via ETS in Cambridge. I've been in touch with Powabyke about it, and have taken this afternoon off of work to see if I can spot anything obvious in the daylight.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Rad, How did you get on with your checks this afternoon? Was it what you thought it may be?

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Hey Frank took it for a 40 minute spin. The sound wasn't as bad at speed but was very evident when rolling. I'm still going to take it to Hellfords for a oncer just to see if it's something 'bikey' that they may spot and fix. Plus I'm not happy with how they've set the handlebars. One of the allen bolts is flush, the other proud and the bars have shifted a few times which isn't favourite. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your time this afternoon it really was appreciated.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hey Frank took it for a 40 minute spin. The sound wasn't as bad at speed but was very evident when rolling. I'm still going to take it to Hellfords for a oncer just to see if it's something 'bikey' that they may spot and fix. Plus I'm not happy with how they've set the handlebars. One of the allen bolts is flush, the other proud and the bars have shifted a few times which isn't favourite. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your time this afternoon it really was appreciated.
No probs for this afternoon.

Sorry but there is nothing I can do about the set up by Halfords, however please just see if performance is affected. Hopefully it is what I thought and will "bed in" once its been used for a bit.

Please keep me posted.

Regards

FrankC
fcurran@powabyke.com