GPS tracker

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
I fitted a tracker device to my bike today. It is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KJS55JS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item and it fits in the housing of the controller unit powered by the bike 36v battery. Using a payg sim all I have to do is send it a text and it sends back a google map link of the bike's location. It does seem to work. There are additional functions too which I haven't explored yet. Probably not foolproof but for less than £30 it at least gives a sporting chance of tracing the bike if it goes awol. It surprises me that there is so little discussion of these devices on the forum because an electric bike seems like an ideal application for them. Perhaps you all have them but sensibly want to keep it a secret!

• Informative
Reactions: Steve A and Sarabee

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I fitted a tracker device to my bike today. It is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KJS55JS/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item and it fits in the housing of the controller unit powered by the bike 36v battery. Using a payg sim all I have to do is send it a text and it sends back a google map link of the bike's location. It does seem to work. There are additional functions too which I haven't explored yet. Probably not foolproof but for less than £30 it at least gives a sporting chance of tracing the bike if it goes awol. It surprises me that there is so little discussion of these devices on the forum because an electric bike seems like an ideal application for them. Perhaps you all have them but sensibly want to keep it a secret!
Hi, I think this is a good find and thanks for posting.

I don't want to put a dampner on this, but a friend recently had her MacBook stolen. Located to a house, and when she rang the police they said it was a civil matter and where not interested. She knocked on door (brave) and the chap who answered was pleasant with her, but said he had no knowledge of a stolen MacBook.

Current status is catch 22 position. She's no further forward and has no choice but to buy another laptop.

It's a difficult one if you want to stay within the law yourself!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Perhaps I am missing something here, but who leaves the battery on their bike when not in use.

I would also imagine that bikes when stolen, are just broken up for the parts, and the tracker would just be spotted at that stage and binned. Having not been powered up, as a sensible owner wouldn't leave the battery on the bike to begin with, it seems a slight waste of money to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A and Steed

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

I don't want to put a dampner on this, but a friend recently had her MacBook stolen. Located to a house, and when she rang the police they said it was a civil matter and where not interested. She knocked on door (brave) and the chap who answered was pleasant with her, but said he had no knowledge of a stolen MacBook.

Current status is catch 22 position. She's no further forward and has no choice but to buy another laptop.

Theft is a criminal offence or am I too old fashioned?

Martin56

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2017
HP3
Hi, I'm sure the others mentioned are good. This one is cheaper but maybe has less support. My bike is a Woosh, it's great, I don't know how it would affect the warranty but the warranty is no good if the bike has been nicked. It was easy to fit, just unscrew the cover to the controller and scotchlock it to the power cables. It seems to work well and to be very accurate, to within a few feet of the bikes location. Yes its no good when the battery is removed although you could attach a 9v battery to it, but I don't think my bike is likely to disappear from home, more of a worry when its chained up while I'm out. I didn't say it was foolproof but it just may help to recover the bike, and come on you know its fun to play with gadgets.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Tha
Theft is a criminal offence or am I too old fashioned?
Agree, seems the police have no time for tracking MacBooks. I would imagine this applied to bikes. When i had my car stolen it was 48 hours before they came out and told me just to claim against insurance, as it would be broken up for parts.
Sounds like Eddie is right!. Oh and yes your old fashioned ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
stolen hi end bike frames are worthless unless you sit on them for years out of site thus why they will just cut the bike in half than the lock as if its going in a van anyway no need to ride it away.

they want

forks
rear sus
wheels
drive train
brakes

thus why a 1k bike is worth £100 stolen, my bike would be 600 quid

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
The Spybike trackers aren't reliant on the bike battery. They have their own built in battery which obviously neccesates periodic recharging but I think the seat post and top cap trackers have quite long battery life.

Tha

Agree, seems the police have no time for tracking MacBooks. I would imagine this applied to bikes. When i had my car stolen it was 48 hours before they came out and told me just to claim against insurance, as it would be broken up for parts.
Sounds like Eddie is right!. Oh and yes your old fashioned ;)
The harsh realisation that the thought that the Police will take any action is no more than a nice idea!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sarabee and Steve A

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
My small community had a one and a half million pound police station built to replace the one decreed unfit for purpose. It's been closed to the public for three months because of staffing problems due to illness.
At least that what they said.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
So it boils down to the fact that an e-bike is ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD — unless one is actually sitting on it, leave it anywhere - even locked and upon return one will find it GONE. If one has mobility as most younger persons have the loss becomes just inconvenient but if like me mobility is restricted medically to little more than 75 yards before falling over, the problem of theft becomes pretty well insurmountable - unless one has a ‘minder’ nearby.

Jim

Reactions: Muddyfox

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018

You must be from down South, because up here the conversation would not remain 'perfectly pleasant' for long. You literally 'know where he lives' after all.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
So it boils down to the fact that an e-bike is ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD — unless one is actually sitting on it, leave it anywhere - even locked and upon return one will find it GONE. If one has mobility as most younger persons have the loss becomes just inconvenient but if like me mobility is restricted medically to little more than 75 yards before falling over, the problem of theft becomes pretty well insurmountable - unless one has a ‘minder’ nearby.

Jim
Whilst I agree with you, at least you have several other ebikes if one gets stolen!

kaykaylee

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2020

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
How's this..... My battery has in it an alarm, activated by movement. Its armed and disarmed by remote.

Also inside is also a GPS tracker. The GPS tracker will run for months on the battery. As an added benefit, I've put a voltage cut out between the battery and GPS tracker, so when the battery gets below 50%, the unit GPS gets its power cut. When this happens it powers up on its own internal battery and it sends me a text to say main power has been cut. This reminds me to go charge my battery up. I can text the GPS unit back and activate a relay, this relay will bypass the low voltage cut out.

I used the same GPS to track my stolen car. I used the relay to activate the horn when I got to the general area of the car.

Reactions: HarryML