Greenedge CS2 Power Issue

Captain Panga

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
I just bought a second hand Greenedge CS2 that apparently was little used with only 126miles on the clock. Used it a couple of times and it was fine then rode it about 6 miles to work in heavy rain. When I went to leave work it appeared to be completely dead when I switched it on. Charged it up when I got home for about 15 hours and it was fine when I cycled to work but was flat again when I went to go home. This happened again the next day so I checked the voltage and it was 45.4V (battery states 36V) but still would not switch on. I then charged it for a few hours and tried again but still no power so I put it back on charge overnight. Checked the voltage again at 46.3V re connected battery and it was fine! I notice when the battery is switched off it still shows a voltage of around 23V? I have used it now a few times and it appears ok but I notice condensation in the controller. Any ideas what the problem might be. All the connections look ok.

Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Have you compared your voltmeter to a known good one, as the voltages you measured (assuming 36 volt nominal Li-ion Battery, you did not fully specify), are dangerously high IMHO.
For such a battery as I believe you have, you would expect, when fully charged is 42 volts maximum. Nothing more than that.
More than 42 volts will probably cause some loss of capacity and/or damage.
If your meter is correct, then your charger is either the wrong type (voltage too high, maybe for a 48 Volt nominal battery, or possibly it is damaged in some way....
There are a few wise heads here that can possibly help you further than I can.....Sorry for your problems....
Regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The battery in the meter needs replacing. get a new battery, then measure again.

It's normal to see some voltage on the terminals when the battery is switched off. It's only leakage charge. If you connect anything to it, the voltage will collapse to zero because no current can flow when switched off. It's basically microamps of leakage.

Captain Panga

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks, you were right the battery in the volt meter needed changing. Re-measured the voltage at 38 volts. The charger is a 42 volt one. I suspect the problem may have had something to do with the bike getting very wet although I would expect to be ok to ride it in heavy rain?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks, you were right the battery in the volt meter needed changing. Re-measured the voltage at 38 volts. The charger is a 42 volt one. I suspect the problem may have had something to do with the bike getting very wet although I would expect to be ok to ride it in heavy rain?
That is a serious and helpful difference!!
What voltage are you now measuring on the battery, when it is fully charged?
If the bike got really wet, perhaps you can store it somewhere warm and dry for a few days and see what that brings?
regards
Andy

D

Deleted member 25121

What is the battery voltage after you're getting no power out of the motor?
The problem could be an old or faulty battery or a problem with damp effecting electronics, connections, sensors or motor.

Captain Panga

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for the comments. Just charged it up for 5 hours after cycling about 15 miles. Voltage up to 41.5V. Not sure what the correct voltage was the last time there appeared to be know power as the flat battery in my meter was causing it to over read by about 5 volts but I would estimate the voltage was around 40 volts . I guess that would be right as it had been on charge all night and only done about 2 miles when it wouldn't switch on. Since then the bike has been in the garage or used outside in sunny weather. I have checked all connections and they look fine, no cracks or anything. It now appears ok so will try riding it to work tomorrow and hope it will switch on so I can get power assistance on the way home, but at least its downhill on the way back!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Some of those batteries are not very waterproof. the water goes in through those windows where the led lights shine through. They're just plastic pieces sitting in the aluminium with no seal. When your battery is completely dry, try sticking some clear tape over that area to seal them.

It might be worth taking the bottom off to check for water inside because I've seen some half-full of water.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay