Grindy hub

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
So the neverending gremlins have struck again, this time on the wife's bike. The hub started making a loud noise upon startup which smooths out when up to speed. I replaced all the connectors and still the same, I'm guessing either mechanical issue or the hall sensor has failed. Is there anything I could have missed? If the problem is in the hub I'll just scrap it I have another hub the same diameter I'll just transfer the rim to that if necessary

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Luishi integrated controller did that with my Oxydrive kit, a very loud electrical contact noise. The last straw was when the lvc kept coming in to play with near fully charged batteries. I bit the bullet and swapped out for KT/LCD3 using the faultless/excellent Bafang CST.
The noise is phase losing sync and controller is fit for the bin, controller electrical issues resonate down the motor wire making it appear that the hub is the issue.
A pcb component part has failed and could even be a fet on the way out.
There is little to go wrong in the hub as apart from halls there are no other pcb electrical components, all other parts are copius amounts of copper winding and mechanical parts.
You can replicate the affect with a KT controller by changing C2 setting, briefly using PAS only.

Reactions: Frank D

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
My Luishi integrated controller did that with my Oxydrive kit, a very loud electrical contact noise. The last straw was when the lvc kept coming in to play with near fully charged batteries. I bit the bullet and swapped out for KT/LCD3 using the faultless/excellent Bafang CST.
The noise is phase losing sync and controller is fit for the bin, controller electrical issues resonate down the motor wire making it appear that the hub is the issue.
A pcb component part has failed and could even be a fet on the way out.
There is little to go wrong in the hub as apart from halls there are no other pcb electrical components, all other parts are copius amounts of copper winding and mechanical parts.
You can replicate the affect with a KT controller by changing C2 setting, briefly using PAS only.
I have tested the other hub and it works fine though? We have a KT en route as we are upgrading it to 48v so if it is the controller no big issue. I may still lace this hub as it's a faster wind, unsure why this one works fine through?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I installed the other hub and it works, so in this case I guess it really was the hub. This wheel brings its own issues though, the spokes always sucked so they will probably start breaking. The wheel was never dished properly anyway so all the more reason to rebuild

Advertisers