Gt avalance coversion

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Hi guys
I have a GT avalanche mountain bike with 27.5 inch wheels. I'm looking to fit a kit to it to make it electric. I'm after a cheap kit as haven't got alot of money to spend. Is there a kit that anyone could recommend as good value for money? Thanks guys

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Unless you just want it for riding fast on the level don't be tempted by the large direct drive kits. They are very tempting: cheap and offer high power (typically 1000w). They are illegal in almost all situations, have very poor climbing capability, and chew through battery.

Yose does some good value kits. Pay a little more (but maybe more than you want) and get a kit from Woosh; you'll get lots of help and advice, especially important first time round. You could save by getting bits separately, but with a risk they aren't really compatible in some way.

Reactions: 1984danc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Getting the right kit depends on what you want to use it for.

Reactions: sjpt

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Hi guys.
I've bought a conversion kit from cyclotricity for my GT.
I've got the rear axle into the drop outs but not sure if it's enough! Can someone advise please? I've got a torque plate that I'm going to fit.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The anti rotation washer(with bent tab ) ideally should sit into the drop out, though it isn't a good AR washer as the tab isn't at right angles. The axle needs at least I think to sit 2 or 3 mm deeper so the axle nut can sit on the meat of the flat drop out area better, as it is not all of the axle nut will bite/grip the flat area. The Better mad AR washers look like these.

The choice of a suitable bike with good drop outs is key, you might have been better with a Mid drive.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
The anti rotation washer(with bent tab ) ideally should sit into the drop out, though it isn't a good AR washer as the tab isn't at right angles. The axle needs at least I think to sit 2 or 3 mm deeper so the axle nut can sit on the meat of the flat drop out area better, as it is not all of the axle nut will bite/grip the flat area. The Better mad AR washers look like these.

The choice of a suitable bike with good drop outs is key, you might have been better with a Mid drive.
Or just buy a new ebike!! Lol. I'll see if I can get some new tab washers and grind a bit more of the frame out. Thanks

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
First thing, in your photo it looks like the motor cable is coming out of the axle INSIDE the frame arm. If so that needs re-arranging.
The dropouts need filing deeper (lots of people use a Dremel). I would ditch the tab washers and use one of these instead.
I've used them several times and they are well robust. Check the axle size to order.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
First thing, in your photo it looks like the motor cable is coming out of the axle INSIDE the frame arm. If so that needs re-arranging.
The dropouts need filing deeper (lots of people use a Dremel). I would ditch the tab washers and use one of these instead.
I've used them several times and they are well robust. Check the axle size to order.
The cable cant come out any other way. Theres no hole running through the axle and where it is now is the only place it can come out.
Thanks for the link

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Maybe some one else can jump in here, 'cos I'm confused. Disclaimer - I've never used one of these kits so not faniliar with it. However that cable exit just doesn't look right. Also is it just me or is the rotational marker on the disc the wrong way round? Or is the photo upside down?
The picture you show of the torque arm is exactly the kind of thing. If you can still fit the tab washers as well then all to the good. I think you still need to deepen the dropouts though.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Maybe some one else can jump in here, 'cos I'm confused. Disclaimer - I've never used one of these kits so not faniliar with it. However that cable exit just doesn't look right. Also is it just me or is the rotational marker on the disc the wrong way round? Or is the photo upside down?
The picture you show of the torque arm is exactly the kind of thing. If you can still fit the tab washers as well then all to the good. I think you still need to deepen the dropouts though.
The picture is upside down mate. The disc is facing the correct way. I'm reluctant to deepen the dropouts anymore as on the brake derailleur side if I cut anymore out then I will be cutting into the bolts that hold the derailleur on - if that makes sense. If I put a torque plate on both sides then surely I will be ok wont I??
I thought the wire should come out through the centre of the axle and on the outside of the frame but it's just not possible. Thanks for your help by the way

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen the odd hub where the motor wire doesn't exit via the axle.
Some drop outs aren't always suitable to go deeper so if you can fit another TA then all the better, just makes puntures a little more of a faff unless you opt for TL set up or use Gaadi's. The reason for AR washers or TA's is too to help prevent axle rotation which with the motor torque will and can snap the drop outs if they are allowed to turn.

Which hub are you using ?

Last edited:

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
I have seen the odd hub where the motor wire doesn't exit via the axle.
Some drop outs aren't always suitable to go deeper so if you can fit another TA then all the better, just makes puntures a little more of a faff unless you opt for TL set up or use Gaadi's. The reason for AR washers or TA's is too to help prevent axle rotation which with the motor torque will and can snap the drop outs if they are allowed to turn.

Which hub are you using ?
An illegal one by the looks of it.....
Whys that then mate?

Attachments

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Just looks a bit large for a 250 motor, what make is it?
It's a 500w motor restricted to 250w. Should i wish to upgrade it to 500w i can do it on the LCD display. But i have to sign a disclaimer and get a code or something from the supplier.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
It's a 500w motor restricted to 250w. Should i wish to upgrade it to 500w i can do it on the LCD display. But i have to sign a disclaimer and get a code or something from the supplier.
Thought it looked a bit large, I think you will find that technically it is still illegal to use anywhere except for private land.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Got it, so the pic's upside down.
Two torque arms would be favourite, should help spreading the clamp load of the axle nuts. I'd keep an eye on it though, especially at first.
I think I'd be spiral wrapping that cable to the frame so the disc nuts don't rub it.

Strictly speaking the motor is ilegal. However, used sensibly, it probably won't be a problem, unless you have an accident and the police get involved. To comply motors should be rated at 250w continuous rating. It's a bit meaningless as any 250w motor draws far more than that on max setting and hill climbing. Is the motor stamped or marked? Should have manufacturers name and continuous rating marked. If it's stamped 250w, it's legal. If it's stamped 250/500 (or some such) it's ilegal.
If you keep the assist cut off at 15/16mph it's going to be nigh on impossible to prove one way or the other.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Got it, so the pic's upside down.
Two torque arms would be favourite, should help spreading the clamp load of the axle nuts. I'd keep an eye on it though, especially at first.
I think I'd be spiral wrapping that cable to the frame so the disc nuts don't rub it.

Strictly speaking the motor is ilegal. However, used sensibly, it probably won't be a problem, unless you have an accident and the police get involved. To comply motors should be rated at 250w continuous rating. It's a bit meaningless as any 250w motor draws far more than that on max setting and hill climbing. Is the motor stamped or marked? Should have manufacturers name and continuous rating marked. If it's stamped 250w, it's legal. If it's stamped 250/500 (or some such) it's ilegal.
If you keep the assist cut off at 15/16mph it's going to be nigh on impossible to prove one way or the other.
Hi mate. Yes the motor is stamped 250w. No mention of 500w on it at all. I've ordered another torque arm so it will have one on each side. Unfortunately the kit arrived and no bottle battery holder so have to wait until next week- bit frustrating!!!