GT Timberline (sort of)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I had this old steel framed GT Timberline kicking around. I really like GT frames, so I thought I'd do a conversion on it.

First though, the paint was a mess, and being steel I thought It'd be good plan to get it powder coated. £50 saw it shot blasted and re-painted.

I was given a choice of colours, but I had my heart set on black. Cable tie black to be specific.

It's taken me a couple of days to put it all together, as the only other original part is the GT branded seat post QR.

The result is a moderately light weight (23k or so) comfy ride, with 470Wh of battery.

I added some hand stitched (by me!) Leather grips....

...my favourite Brooks B17....

....and Schwalbe Fat Franks for a nice slick ride.

My new favourite bike.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for the complements guys, nice to know there are still folk here who want to talk about bikes.

The one thing I was a bit apprehensive about with this build was losing the ability to go no hands, which I like in order to straighten back from time to time. Many bikes with front suspension shake like a sh1tting dog when you let go of the bars.

This goes along just fine, so it must be another element of the geometry that causes the shaking.

And the steel frame is a lot more forgiving than the equivalent in ally.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's a nicer look than some commercial builds.

Reactions: Alan Quay