Gtech front wheel conversion

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Have seen a post on here saying the gtech motor is a bafang hub. Would it possible to buy a front bafang motor and connect to the original battery/controller. Change rear to an igh and keep the belt.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You could fit any hub as long as the connector is correct and drops outs are standard 9mm QR, other issue is extending motor cable. Extensions are available.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I doubt a would work very well the mid drive needs a bigger capacity battery so the range would be limited on the tiny gtech battery

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's absolutely no point in doing that. It would make much more sense to start with a normal bike, so you can use a standard battery and controller, which will be much cheaper and easier to service.

• Useful
Reactions: Audio2

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Thanks, just looking at ideas to see if i can add gears to the gtech for under £300, looks like a front hub using original battery will be the easy and cheapest way to go. Or sell it and buy the orbea gain.

Jasebabe

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2023
I had exactly that thought today, switch to a Bafang front hub motor and fit Nexus 8 hub gears. Did you ever do this?