gTech Sport Replacement Bottom Bracket?

diallta

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2020
Hello everyone, I recently bought a second hand gTech Sport from eBay UK and had it shipped to Germany. I was intrigued by the gTech as it had the Gates Carbon Drive and has a relatively basic design unlike all of the locally available options which look a bit ridiculous. I've only been using it a few weeks but already had a few people give complements and ask about it. I'm a strong cyclist, but so far I'm really enjoying the bike, I'm arriving at work just a few minutes slower than on the usual bike, but without any sweat. It's also great for my wife to use to pop into town.

Today I noticed that the bottom bracket seems to have a small bit of play in it, and did a little investigating regarding a replacement. It is marked with "Bafang" but no part number is externally visible. Has anyone sourced a replacement bracket for these? I can give gTech a ring tomorrow but if there's an easy way to order one online, that would be easier.

Second thing is, I'm wondering if anyone has switched out the front ring for something with a higher ratio. I think it's a 55T CDN on there but Gates offers a 70T CDX. It would be expensive, on the order of 200€ to replace the ring and a new belt, which is, you know, a third of what I paid for the entire bike, but it would be nice to bring the cadence down when cruising. I'm only using it for commuting and around town and I think the motor would more than make up for the higher ratio. Is there any obvious reason not to do that?

Thanks,

khickman

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2013
Hi diallta, how did you get on replacing the Gtech Sport's bottom bracket? I've got the same problem.
Thanks,
Kevin

diallta

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2020
Kevin--I haven't replaced it yet. I rang gTech and they were a bit incredulous about the fact I had the bike in Germany but ultimately told me I'd need to contact Cycle Republic as they are now handling all service for the bikes. I did that, and they were much friendlier--they told me the part number for the bottom bracket is 182038, there were about 65 of them on hand [when I called], and it costs about £30. But, they won't ship this part, it has to be ordered and collected in store. They said it could also be ordered and collected at a Halfords, but it would be the same issue with [not] shipping it.

In light of that, I also did some poking around on eBay and found this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/233418240346 which might be an equivalent part, but there's really no way to know without taking the existing bottom bracket out and comparing it, and I haven't had the will to disassemble the bike to check.

I'll probably do that at some point and see if I can find another part number on there to order an equivalent part, but if I can't, in the worst case I've got friends in the UK that I could ask to go down and collect one for me and post it over. I don't really want to bother them with my errands though so I haven't done that yet.

If you find a source or more information about the part please let me know!

stevelo333

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2019
Removing the bottom bracket... I haven't bothered yet to check closely, bit the "screwy bits" that hold it in place (sorry - "a senior moment"!) seem to resemble those on Hollowtech BBs - so I'd be very interested to hear if they are the same, or if not, how they can be removed. The resistance to un-powered use on my gtech is, very roughly speaking, 90% motor and 10% BB - and if I decide finally to keep only the motor, then i'd like to change the BB too.

Advertisers