Guest Bike Conversion

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The plan is to convert my old hybrid for when my daughter comes to stay ( and anyone else who fancies a ride out with us). Although she's only 29 and a professional dancer, poor thing can't keep up with her old mom and dad. Cruel really tee hee:D So need to keep it simple and easy to ride for people not used to assist.

I intend to upgrade the front brake. Stick a rear wheel hub on and use an Ezee battery and rack (if John will sell me one). That way I can alternate the battery with my own to keep it active. I will also need to replace the gear changers as the current ones are intergrated with the brake levers.

Anyway, this is the bike, used have my Ezee kit on it:DSCF2887.jpg

It has 700c wheels and has 7 speed rear mech. It's a Shimano Megarange 14-34.
What would be a good motor/controller combo to put with this? Don't know if it's a free wheel or a cassette, how do you tell? From previous reading I was thinking a Q100 might be good, just not sure which one?
Here's the mech:DSCF3005.JPG

The bike originally had vee brakes, I want to upgrade the front to hydraulic. Am I right in thinking that Magura HS11's will fit this?
DSCF3006.JPG
The other thing I want to change is the handlebar stem, 'cos this one creaks. I think it's 20 or 21mm the head stock is 160mm high. Anyone got a suggestion for a replacement?
DSCF3008.JPG
So, here we go gathering the bits. All help and suggestions wil be appreciated and I'll keep the thread updated.
Thanks in advance.
Ben

Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
14 -34 gearing and 7 speed will be a freewheel a side pic of the cassette wheel out of the dropouts would confirm. Q100h for a freewheel in 260rpm flavour. Controller wise you can run S06P or S as it will run sensored or unsensored but you also need a lcd and pas so it might be equally as good to use the 09 controller kit with the nice modular wiring all of this will fit in the saddle bag fitted , though you may wish to use a soldering iron to burn some vent holes in hear and there to help with some extra cooling.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're going to use a rack battery, a front motor might be better. Either way, a Q100H is ideal. 201 rpm for low speed. 260 rpm if you want faster than 15 mph.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Magura HS11 will fit you to a T. But I wonder if those rims will like the extra pressure?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks guys.
Must admit I was a bit concerned about weight distribution. Decided on a rear motor because we suffer from a lot of 'slimy roads' under the trees around here in Wales. I'm used to handling sudden traction loss on my front hub on steep lanes, but thought that a less experienced pedelecer might be caught out by it. What handling affect does all that weight at the back actually have? Riding mine with panniers full of shopping hung on the rack battery seems OK, unless I try some unusual slow speed manouvre.
I guess the 260rpm would develop less torque, how would it's hill climbing be compared to, say, the wife's Big Bear? I fancy the 260 for the occasional 'blast' myself.
That front rim join does look a bit dodgy doesn't it. Maybe that will be the deciding factor on whether to go front or rear.
The Q100H seems to be spec'ed as 350w, is it marked 250w? On the other hand whose gonna look?:rolleyes: Is it possible to get a complete kit minus battery?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BPM on Big bear is a beefier hub will take more amps then Q100 so ultimately will give more watts approx 1400w where as Q will fry at that Q about 900/950w, Guys on ES have fried there Q's by trying. 260 is the best of both worlds good climbing ability with good speed a motor that doesn't come in the CST flavour sadly. Also no kit form for H version so components need to be added to wheel/hub or select the 09 controller kit. 350 marked as such but on a stick on label.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Nealh, as you say Q100h doesn't come with cst. So I'm gonna take D8veh prompt and go with a front hub, plus it'll make the Magura safe.
So , after spending some time deciphering the BMS way of doing things, this is the list I've come up with:
1 Q100H front wheel (700c)
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/632-q100h-36v350w-front-e-bike-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html

2 S06PW easy assembly waterproof kit
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/647-s06pw-easy-assembling-waterproof-connector-kit-ebike-kit.html

I was going to go for S06S and the Hall sensing PAS that fits on the left, but I think the waterproof kit will make the cables neater. The pas sensor is only 8 pole, will this make things 'lumpy'?

Apart from the battery, I think that's it. I hope this will all plug together and I won't have to get the soldering iron out:) yeh right !
Battery, rack and torque bracket I'll get from Cyclezee.
This is my first time putting components together, have I missed anything?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The pas sensor is only 8 pole, will this make things 'lumpy'?
Slower start, just over a quarter of a turn, say 1/3. The 12 magnet disk is just under a quarter turn from my experience. That will also depend on your controller set up of course.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
if you stick hs11s on there be aware you will need new shifters

you have what are known as 1 piece STI units . The shifters and levers are combined.

HS11 have their own levers.

just something to make sure you dont get caught out at the 11th hour.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
if you stick hs11s on there be aware you will need new shifters

you have what are known as 1 piece STI units . The shifters and levers are combined.

HS11 have their own levers.

just something to make sure you dont get caught out at the 11th hour.
I was thinking that he would mount the brake lever and drop the gear changer completely. In my 3200 km I never missed changing gears on the chainring.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yeh thanks TD. New gear changers are on the list. I will keep two rings on the front because the ratio jump from 1st to 2nd is huge and leaves a big 'cadence hole', so I'm hoping that 2nd on the smaller ring will do for the hills here.
On my Carrera I've kept two rings and I use it a lot to get cadence just so, where it feels most comfortable.

I've been looking at batteries and I think I've found one to do the job.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/e-Bike-Battery-36v-16Ah-500W-Lithium-Battery-36V-with-2A-charger-20A-BMS-Electric-Scooter/32668163825.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.25.VI91in&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_10073_10017_10071_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_3&btsid=efc158c6-d096-466a-84c3-799daaf6c420

It says it has a maximum continuous discharge rate of 20A. The controller I've chosen is 16A, so I'm guessing this would do the job. It's unamed 18650 cells, are they going to be any good? I've never bought from these people, it says free shipping to the UK, is that likely to happen or am I going to get a big bill? Will there be duty to pay?
My intention is that this battery would go in a square rear rack bag/box that I've had for years. That way, by using same power connectors as my Ezee, I can still use it on the Carrera, to keep the battery active. I guess the controller could go in the same bag, it's big enough. I realise I would have to bypass the S06P and connect direct to Ezee power leads.
Sorry for all the questions, this ordering seperates is new to me.
Cheers
Ben

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
yeah but the hs11 brake lever would go to the rear gear shifter in wales.

in france i completely agree with what you say but over here we run our brakes the other way round on acount of we drive on the other side

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How do I signal I am turning to the right? I put my right hand out while gently squeezing the left (front) brake lever. :D Yes TD it can be done! :p Now don't get me started on being left handed (not me, two of my sons, who pointed this out to me) and having to change gears with the right hand!

That is the beauty of the HS11 you can dose the braking from gentle to stoppie :eek: Of course ben and guests would have to learn that the brake levers are switched over.

• Informative
Reactions: grldtnr

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
hey dont shoot the messenger i didnt make it so that if you need to stop in a hurry while indicating right across oncoming traffic in the middle of the road here in the uk grabbing a handfull of brake instinctively doesnt pitch you over the bars into the road in front of the car oncoming

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Tongue in cheek laddie, tongue in cheek!

Usually I don't put my arm out in emergency situations and brake with both hands. YMMV... Screaming "I'm turning you <kiwi farmer's son words go here>" works too when you hands are too busy to signal :D

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
o_OBUT WOT ABOUT ME BATTERY?;)

P.S. It'll be rear brake on the lft as it should be:eek:. And main changer on the right with the HS11.
Now boys play nicely:)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
o_OBUT WOT ABOUT ME BATTERY?;)
Sorry!

It says it has a maximum continuous discharge rate of 20A. The controller I've chosen is 16A, so I'm guessing this would do the job. It's unamed 18650 cells, are they going to be any good?
They all say 20 A continuous that is what the BMS is set to I suppose. My 10.4 A is rated for 2C continuous and 3C peak. After thrashing around the Basque Country for 15 months it is only good for relatively flat roads or a return trip to the station.

Unnamed cells are like the lottery, some people seem to be luckier than others. If you have 80 cells that are reasonably the same quality you will probably have no problems. One bad cell is all that is needed to drag the whole bunch down. As you are going to be drawing 1C it should work out OK. Charge time will be closer to 8 hours than 6 on a fully drained battery.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
How does one e-mail Jimmy at Insat? For the life of me I can't seem to find an address. I do find e-bay a bit impenatrable TBH.