HaHa it actually happened......Cheat !!!!!!

Kenno

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2018
Only just introduced my self, but rant/moan #1,

Got passed by a conventional biker t'other day, who proceeded to claim that I was a cheat, ( now a friend of mine, mountain biker type, when I asked what he thought of e-bikes immediately resorted to telling me he regarded it as cheating, so I had had time to think about this view), so...I straight away asked the biker, to tell me exactly how he thought I was cheating and in what way, "well it's an electric bike, in it", came the reply, "are we in a contest ?" I said. Did I just encounter a Neanderthal, or do peeps actually think, it is in someway is cheating I found it amusing I did.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi

Yes a lot think it’s cheating
Apart from the I didn’t know we were in a competition with each other comment

I also ask roadies if they consider there skinny tyres and light weight frames to be cheating compared to my 3” tyres and 21kg bike

In the end I wouldn’t worry about it just enjoy it as you will never convert ignorance
:)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only cheating if racing or in competition.

Another way of looking at it is, it may put off that heart attack that may be around the next corner.

Fit regular road rider aged 60 dropped dead recently on the ride London near Leith Hill at the 60 mile point, if he had an electric ride it may have saved his life. The only bit of cheating he would have done was death, which has to be a damn good thing in my book.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem comes from us calling what we do cycling. It's not, that's only done by unpowered cyclists. We are e-biking or similar. In other words we need a different term for what we do to differentiate.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
May be that's the answer flecc, we just resort with a scripted reply ' I'm not cycling just out for an ebike ride'.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Certainly a different commonly understood term would remove any reason for saying e-biking is cheating. Nobody ever said using one of the old autocycles was cheating, though they had pedals, probably because riding one was never called cycling.

• Informative

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
The problem comes from us calling what we do cycling. It's not, that's only done by unpowered cyclists. We are e-biking or similar. In other words we need a different term for what we do to differentiate.
A cyclist is a person riding a human powered vehicle HPV,s
So I’ve got to disagree that we’re not cyclists
My emtb is human powered (me) it’s just partially assisted upto 15.5mph after this it’s all me
So by that definition does this mean because I’m getting assistance I’m not a cyclist or do I become a cyclist after 15.5mph ?
Just a little food for thought :)

In my eyes We are cyclists well at least most of us are that don’t cheat with throttles upto 15.5 mph lol

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The mtb forums are totally split between the lovers and the haters . I don't bother getting involved

On a personal level there a few roadies at my work who have expressed the cheating view who I have taken time to speak with. Once explained that purpose is usually one of the below they do get it

1. A car /bus alternative commuting method
2. A way to have fun going uphill
3. A way to increase range for same effort
4. A way to allow access to those with reduced capacity for conventional cycling (e.g. Medical issue)
5. A way to cover the same range for less effort

I started on 1 ( 500 people at work , 2 showers)

I still commute daily and it saves me 1 hour a day compared to any other commuting method available . So I gain time/life

I have 4 young kids so time is of the essence.

Now I have a mtb which I usenon south downs. I usually get 2 hour slot max. With my ebike the range I can cover, the beauty to behold and downhill to enjoy are maxed out compared to a conventional bike.

Now, tell me what I'm cheating at again ?

Still, I have passed groups of roadies on epic steep roads and shouted out a hi, along with a smile and a "i promise I'm feeling guilty , honest ". Never got anything but friendliness back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My emtb is human powered (me) it’s just partially assisted upto 15.5mph after this it’s all me
So by that definition does this mean because I’m getting assistance I’m not a cyclist or do I become a cyclist after 15.5mph ?
And that assistance is enough to prevent you being a cyclist in the accepted sense.

And it's also enough to prompt the accusation of cheating.

• Agree

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
And that assistance is enough to prevent you being a cyclist in the accepted sense.

And it's also enough to prompt the accusation of cheating.
So by that rational a cyclist has a 15.5mph tail wind they would sease to be a cyclist as there recieving assistance

And thats as daft as me being told im not a cyclist below 15.5mph :)

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So by that rational a cyclist has a 15.5mph tail wind they would sease to be a cyclist as there recieving assistance
Not daft at all, winds blow in all directions and cyclists travel in all directions, so the effects cancel out over time.

Power assistance is always power assistance.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Not daft at all, winds blow in all directions and cyclists travel in all directions, so the effects cancel out over time.

Power assistance is always power assistance.
Were going to have to agree to disagree here because i dont run a dongle so don't recieve any assistance over 15.5mph and as you said its assistance that stops me being a cyclist according to the lycra clad muppets

You also say the wind cancels out the assistance of a standard bike , so by that statement why doesnt going down a hill cancel out the assistance recieved going up on a pedelec
im also pedalling along at 20mph with no assistance im still not a cyclist Because im on a pedelec
This is a very double standard argument in my eyes and again we are definitely not going to agree :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no one says anything to me probable because i get out of range to fast :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Were going to have to agree to disagree here because i dont run a dongle so don't recieve any assistance over 15.5mph and as you said its assistance that stops me being a cyclist according to the lycra clad muppets

You also say the wind cancels out the assistance of a standard bike , so by that statement why doesnt going down a hill cancel out the assistance recieved going up on a pedelec
im also pedalling along at 20mph with no assistance im still not a cyclist Because im on a pedelec
This is a very double standard argument in my eyes and again we are definitely not going to agree :)
All your arguments add up to one thing, you are a part time cyclist.
When you are being assisted you are being mechanically propelled to some degree. That ain't cycling, it's pedelecing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I must have been really cheating today as I lost 4lb in weight during my 70 mile ride today.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Shurm

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2018
I ride my bike over 16mph on the flat and downhill and I only use assistence on hills and then most of the time I can get to 16mph anyway but I just know a normal bike would not have helped me get back into cycling like my ebike. I passed a group of road riders last night doing time trials uphill with their aero helmets on, it is funny and I'm really going for it but back on the flat they can just about catch me up after the lead I've got on them. Thing is I'm coming home from work with my baggy shorts on and a tee shirt and they are all in Lycra with aero helmets and I'm fat and 51 hahaha these bikes are brilliant.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So now im a part time cyclist
It started off i wasnt a cyclist at all
How things change in such a short time :)
Not for me, I said it was your argument that amounted to your being a part time cyclist.

I don't think pedelecers / e-bikers are cyclists at all. It's fundamental to cycling that the cyclist provides the motive power. Being mechanically propelled isn't cycling.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Imagine in the Flintstones, somebody rolls by in a 50cc wood rocket with their feet on the dash. And Fred says, that's cheating!