Haibike... Bosch or Yamaha?

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Anybody got an opinion as to which is the best drive system of these two as looking to buy a quality e-mtb in the near future. It seems that Haibike have both available depending on model. Any advice much appreciated.

Also, if I go for Bosch, should I also be considering Cube, Scott, Giant, ......?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
There is a video online showing the difference in speed between the two and the Bosch cx is clearly the winner even when they swop riders.The Bosch cx is a great motor,fast and reliable.
The Yamaha motor ramps down the power with higher cadence and the Bosch just keeps going,i have a Cube bike so i`m biased towards them.

Last edited:

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
There is a video online showing the difference in speed between the two and the bosch cx is clearly the winner even when they swop riders.The bosch cx is a great motor,fast and reliable.
Thanks Nemesis... I'll bear that in mind before making a final decision. You may, or not remember me as the person on the Integrale you passed a year or so ago near to Bents Garden Centre. Anyway, I still have the Kalkhoff, albeit not completely without drive noise issues I might add! I am now considering an e-mtb as an additional bike as I will hopefully soon have a lot more time to go back to cycling off-road, and at my age I'm afraid my fitness level is not up to using my old mountain bike. I see 50cycles no longer offer the Focus range which may be saying something don't you think? BTW. .. I assume you are aware they're opening a new store in Altrincham next month?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
There is a video online showing the difference in speed between the two and the Bosch cx is clearly the winner even when they swop riders.The Bosch cx is a great motor,fast and reliable.
The Yamaha motor ramps down the power with higher cadence and the Bosch just keeps going,i have a Cube bike so i`m biased towards them.
this HTML class. Value is
I just looked at this video comparison. It appears that the reviewer had an apples to oranges comparison saying that different riding styles would determine whom liked what. He did give the edge to Bosch in some areas of the test. What he also pointed out was how much more expensive the Bosch system was against a Yamaha powered bike of similar spec. I have driven both, like both and prefer the Yamaha. Perhaps you could provide the link you watched for comparitive views.

If the bikes are non dongled, they with both have the same top assited speed of 15.5mph. If there is a difference in speed, this will be be the performance of the dongle.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks Nemesis... I'll bear that in mind before making a final decision. You may, or not remember me as the person on the Integrale you passed a year or so ago near to Bents Garden Centre. Anyway, I still have the Kalkhoff, albeit not completely without drive noise issues I might add! I am now considering an e-mtb as an additional bike as I will hopefully soon have a lot more time to go back to cycling off-road, and at my age I'm afraid my fitness level is not up to using my old mountain bike. I see 50cycles no longer offer the Focus range which may be saying something don't you think? BTW. .. I assume you are aware they're opening a new store in Altrincham next month?

Yes i remember,i am aware of 50 cycles manchester store and i think they now stock the Cube range.I realy liked the Focus but the impulse motor had problems, i think they now use Bosch motors.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
this HTML class. Value is
I just looked at this video comparison. It appears that the reviewer had an apples to oranges comparison saying that different riding styles would determine whom liked what. He did give the edge to Bosch in some areas of the test. What he also pointed out was how much more expensive the Bosch system was against a Yamaha powered bike of similar spec. I have driven both, like both and prefer the Yamaha. Perhaps you could provide the link you watched for comparitive views.

If the bikes are non dongled, they with both have the same top assited speed of 15.5mph. If there is a difference in speed, this will be be the performance of the dongle.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Sorry to upset all the Bosch fan boys, I really like Yamaha system.

If you want a Mountain Bike that is a strong climber and will take you the same places as a mountain goat, Haibike will not disappoint, good looking well made bikes.

Try both engines as they are very different in how they function, I much preferred the Yamaha operation.

Plus you can get a spare battery from China for £ 300.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Hi Phil, I'm in much the same situation. I've just put down a deposit on a Yamaha powered Haibike eMTB. The best thing is to visit a few ebike shops and test ride both systems a few times to get a feel for them. I test rode six bikes in total, three Bosch and three Yamaha and I think both systems are equally good. The Yamaha feels slightly more subtle, more like riding a regular bike which I personally prefer but that's just personal preference and there was really not much to choose between them.

If your experience is anything like mine you'll find it difficult to get a test ride on the specific model of bike that you're interested in. The shops I visited had very few bikes available to test ride and it was complete pot luck as to what bike happened to be the in store demo model. As such it can be nigh on impossible to make meaningful comparisons between different makes/models. Availability is also a problem so not only are the models not always available in store there can be quite a long lead time for delivery. I think there can be a temptation for certain less scruprilous shops to guide you to toward certain brands and models that they have in stock (and presumably want to get shot of) so just be aware of that.

Where are you based? I can recommend a couple of places that I visited who offered me good impartial advice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Steve A and IR772

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Shimano MTB drive has had good reviews. Big plus well protected displays and switches. Also try new Yamaha PWX drive, better power delivery than PW but only on dearer haibikes 7.0, 8.0.

Don't forget Brose powered bikes.

Happy hunting.

Phil1701

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Phil, I'm in much the same situation. I've just put down a deposit on a Yamaha powered Haibike eMTB. The best thing is to visit a few ebike shops and test ride both systems a few times to get a feel for them. I test rode six bikes in total, three Bosch and three Yamaha and I think both systems are equally good. The Yamaha feels slightly more subtle, more like riding a regular bike which I personally prefer but that's just personal preference and there was really not much to choose between them.

If your experience is anything like mine you'll find it difficult to get a test ride on the specific model of bike that you're interested in. The shops I visited had very few bikes available to test ride and it was complete pot luck as to what bike happened to the in store demo model. As such it can be nigh on impossible to make meaningful comparisons between different makes/models. Availability is also a problem so not only are the models not always available in store there can be quite a long lead time for delivery. I think there can be a temptation for certain less scruprilous shops to guide you to toward certain brands and models that they have in stock (and presumably want to get shot of) so just be aware of that.

Where are you based? I can recommend a couple of places that I visited who offered me good impartial advice.
I'm based in Wigan/Manchester area. I know of mtb monster up on the A59 near Samlesbury and also next month 50cycles will open their new Altrincham store.
Grateful for any recommendations of others in the area. Thanks.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
The only thing you can do is go and try the both models you will know what feels right for you

I personally don't like the yahama motors at all i prefer the Bosch motor more poke i think personally but we are different

Only you can make your mind up and to get that personal experience what one recommendation might be right for one person could be completely wrong for another person completely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm based in Wigan/Manchester area. I know of mtb monster up on the A59 near Samlesbury and also next month 50cycles will open their new Altrincham store.

Try

Winstanleys
Address: Unit 9, Martland Court, Wigan WN5 0LU
Hours:
Open today · Phone: 01942 707646

They are in Wigan, and have lots of eBikes.

Cycle Republic in the centre of Manchester have a selection of eBikes.

Or there is

Merlin
Address: A4, Buckshaw Link, Ordnance Rd, Buckshaw Village, Chorley PR7 7EL
Hours:
Open today · Phone: 01772 432431

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If I had to choose it would be a Yamaha bike because it can take a twin chainring on the front and with the hills (mountains) around here that could come in useful. Even on the road the twin chainring on my GSM is very nice to have.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

I bought my Cube from MTB Monster,only a small shop but well stocked and realy nice people to deal with,very helpful.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Anybody got an opinion as to which is the best drive system of these two as looking to buy a quality e-mtb in the near future. It seems that Haibike have both available depending on model. Any advice much appreciated.

Also, if I go for Bosch, should I also be considering Cube, Scott, Giant, ......?

D

Deleted member 4366

There's too much choice now. You go nuts trying to make up your mind. They're all good, so just choose one that looks nice.

• Agree
Reactions: Emo Rider