haibike fullnine 8.0 2019 strange noise

bike_ro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2019
Hi!

Haibike fullnine 8.0 2019, bought new, after only 70 Km I started hearing this strange noise on rought terrain but I can also reproduce it at home:

Seems to come from the headset or the fork. Front brake is ok (disc is tight), front wheel firmly secured.

Any idea what it might be?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
take it back to the shop as something is wrong with the fork

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
So what I did was to remove the front wheel and then lift the bike on the back wheel. With the fork in the air, I moved it back and forth and at some point the sound completely disappeared.

Any idea what might have been? The fork seems to work well, no other issue.

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
Get it back to the shop that’s what the warranty is for .
Easier said than done.. :) The shop where I bought the bike from is in another city, 2 hours drive.

I hoped that such expensive bikes would not have warranty issues. For small repairs\maintenance I planned to use the local bike shops around here.

Even if something can be replaced\repaired for free using warranty, I have an approximately 65 euros treshold under which it's basically cheaper for me to have it looked at my local bike shop.

Time is also a factor because I need to drive a total of 8 hours during the week to have my bike serviced by the shop where I bought the bike from (2 hours to get there and leave the bike, 2 hours to get back home, 2 hours to get back there, 2 hours to bring the repaired bike home).
I don't trust and don't want to use transportation services.

My main problem now is that the noise doesn't reproduce anymore. I tried pressing as hard as I could, took it for a bumpy ride.. nothing. The fork feels good.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well id take it to the lbs and get them to have a look at the fork as something is wrong tho it could be a volume spacer had come loose but it should not be making any noise like in the vid.

better safe than sorry ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
worst case is it snaps in half but until you take the lowers of the fork to see what is wrong it could be anything.

its not normal for a fork to make any sound like that so id get it checked out asap.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: bike_ro

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
8 hours or not I think you should take it back and get it checked. You paid a good amount of money to have one so why risk the possibility of having to pay out more in the long run, as well as not being able to ride it if it does break.

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
Ok so meanwhile I have ridden it two more times and the problem (the sound) didn't occur anymore.
Not sure if I really need to get it looked at under these conditions.
Fork seems totally fine, holds pressure (checked every morning).

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Part of your warranty is to inform manufacturers/vendors of any faults as soon as they develop .
If , worst case scenario, your fork snaps on a landing and you damage yourself badly , what come back do you have if riding a bike you know to be faulty.
What is eight hours to months of surgery, pain and rehab?

Reactions: bike_ro

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
Ok guys, I contacted the shop and also send them the video. They want to take a look at it. Will keep you updated about what they discover.

Reactions: argoose

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i still think that it is a volume spacer coming loose and 10mins at a lbs should see one way or another.

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
Ok will ask the shop I bought it from if I can have it looked at at another shop (which is a rockshox official repair shop) without loosing my warranty.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the fork warranty will be with rock shox anyway so if it is broken they can get you a new one if needed ;)

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
The shop I bought the bike from said it's OK to get it looked at at another shop and if this really is the problem (botomless token) it's a pretty simple fix. However, they said they cannot reimburse me even if this covered by warranty. For this, I must bring the bike to them but the cost of gas is actually higher than what I would pay here. Not to mention potholes and 4 hours of driving..

I'm also thinking of completely getting rid of it for a more linear response. I don't do jumps anyway and my riding is quite slow.

bike_ro

Feb 5, 2019
So here is the final chapter of this story. Went to a local bike shop where they opened the fork and discovered 5(five!) botomless tokens. Only one of them was attached to the top, the other 4 which were tighten together fell down and produced the horrible noise.

The guy at the shop said he had seen similar new forks with the same problem and the problem is that in the factory they are only tighten by hand. After a couple of bumps they fell.

Thanks for your help everybody! In the end, it was a minor issue.

Reactions: argoose

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was right then ;) tho if you now find the fork not as good as b4 add tokens instead of adding more psi in the fork as the tokens take up the air volume to make the fork more progressive and take bigger impacts better and not bottom out. ;)

Reactions: bike_ro and argoose

Related Articles

Advertisers