Haibike noise

senwar

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2016
Hi - wonder if anyone can help me identify what this noise is?

It sounds like a pebble rattling or even the chain rattling but I can't work it out. I know its not the easiest thing to hear and I know what I'm listening for but about 10 seconds you can hear it the most.

Its not easy to film as I'm doing it via my iphone but the noise is pretty loud when you're out. And its not all the time

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
H
Hi - wonder if anyone can help me identify what this noise is?

It sounds like a pebble rattling or even the chain rattling but I can't work it out. I know its not the easiest thing to hear and I know what I'm listening for but about 10 seconds you can hear it the most.

Its not easy to film as I'm doing it via my iphone but the noise is pretty loud when you're out. And its not all the time
Is it louder in the lower gears?

If so, it's the chain rubbing on the silly jockey wheel guide. A lube on the left side of the chain will silent it for a while. Use GT 85 or a silicone aerosol for ease of application.

Mortlake

Dec 14, 2015
Surrey
The last time I heard something similar on my bike, was after I had replaced the chain and had incorrectly routed it through the rear derailleur arm between the two jockey wheels.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

oxfordbiker

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Just had to have the pedals replaced under warranty on my two month old Haibke SDURO Hardseven as they were making random clicking noises when peddling. At first I thought it was the motor or the drive train, but eventually I worked out it was the pedals which were quite a low quality that were making the noise.

• Useful

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Difficult to hear, but here's a few tips to narrow it down.

Is it every revolution of the crank, chain or wheel ? (sounded like every crank rev to me).

If it is crank, then most likely a pedal, but could be drive unit (or BB on non assisted bike)

When pedal bearings wear they tend to click at the same position, about 45 Deg after highest point. Simplest way to eliminate pedals is to swap them for known good ones.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Useful

senwar

Mar 17, 2016
Thanks all. Been out on it again today and its very prominent. Its very hard to record, identify and confirm when it happens. Seems to be in all gears and very frequent but not all the time.

Bike was new in march and I had DMR V12's fitted on collection, so these should be OK? I lubed the bike before going out but it still happened.

Thing is, I tried to listen closer and it seems to come from the front as though something is scraping against something but as I say its just hard to work out

Related Articles

Advertisers