Haibike sDuro HardSeven SL 2015 Yamaha (7 Month 1600 Miles)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Cross Country Night Ride

I had a great ride yesterday, a 42 mile round trip with a large proportion off road, and the return journey home after dark.

The off road portions after dark were challenging mainly due to only having one front light, a moon 320 lumen bar mounted one. A good light but not really enough for technical off road tracks. I had to slow down and pick my way with care.

Also one large chunk of the off road route was in an unfamiliar area, Ludshott common where it could have been easy to get lost, but I ended up at the car park exit I was aiming for on the other side, but more by intuitive guesswork than anything more empirical.

Even on the two other large common areas I crossed where I know the tracks well my light limited how fast I could ride.

However it was great fun.

The cycle to my friends house in daylight was lovely with probably 80% of the 21 mile ride off road and lots of single track and great views.

I used 41% of my battery getting to my friends house, grabbing something to eat in the town where he lives before arriving at his house. There I could leave my bike in his garage with the battery on charge.

We then went to an arts centre gig by a blues guitarist called Mark Harrison who was excellent.

The ride home used 48% of the battery, the extra battery used on the home leg due I am sure to not being able to ride as efficiently in the dark

The mileage on my 2015 Haibike Yamaha continues to rise as I ride on into my eighth year of ownership, now standing at 15,578

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Pride comes before a .........

Took an off today. I have been lucky not to fall off too often but when I do...

A steep treacherous hill, too steep for me to get up in bottom gear using full power, with some drainage work that has left horizontal sleepers across the track with small half a foot drop offs, at about 12 foot intervals down the steepest part at the top with a lot of leaf litter on top and some sparsely spread aggregate underneath.

I don't use a dropper post so get behind my saddle. I went down this hill only a couple of weeks ago with no problem. Anyway somehow in trying to manual so as not to drop front wheel first down the third drop off railway style sleeper thing, I just did not get it right and in compensating by hauling on my grips to keep the front up off the drop I lost my grip and both hands came off my admittedly shiny old grips. After both your hands slip off on a steep downhill drop off unless you possess circus skills you are going down hard, and so I did.

All my injuries are on the right hand side, a grazed bloody elbow and knocked right knee and ankle. I broke my rear front mudguard off, and my display flew off, but was not lost.

I aborted my ride and headed back home on the road, to shower and apply antiseptic cream to my grazes. I think my knee took quite a wallop and there could be a spectacular bruise.

The bracket for my top peak front mudguards got broken in the fall where the rear mudguard attaches. The mudguards themselves are fine but the rear part of the bracket was sheared off by the impact. I found these mudguards lying on a track after they had fallen off someones bike a couple of years ago. When I looked online expecting to have to buy a new set of mudguards I found amazingly that you could buy just the bracket I broke for £4.99. The gear change had taken a knock but is working again fine. The display once found slotted on with no harm done. So hopefully not too much damage. At over 60 now I do not shrug off a fall in the same way as I did when I was younger.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ouch I know how you feel GH, I have come off once or twice on the S/Downs on a steep loose surface decent. When I feel the bike going I like to try and lay the bike down and slide in a controlled way if I can.
Gravel rash ouch, and can smart for a day or so. Hopefully is it minor rashes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
don't delay apply today :p

as for going down steep hills its not a good idea to have ur ass over the back wheel in front of a seat post :eek:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
At my age a lot of what I do is probably not a good idea.

Nealh, I am usually quite good at falling, or used to be, but there was little time or options to choose on this one.

I know a dropper post would be a good idea but my rack attaches via a seat post carrier clamp.

I've only started doing the more challenging tracks again since retiring which is again probably a bit silly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The behind the seat stance is old school riding and it is one I have used and have done so occasionally still , EPJ used it until he was converted to droppers.

• Agree
Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Going round in circles.....

On Friday the 13th of May,I rode a 26 mile mostly off road circular route on tracks I know well. When I got home I had 48% of my 400Wh battery left, equating to a 33 and a half mile total range if I had carried on riding and also consuming my battery at the same rate.

In truth, as my battery is now over seven years old, I now ride in a way designed to conserve it as much as possible, in eco and off, only using the higher middle assist setting for blasting me back up the steep hill to home right at the end of the ride.

The thing I really notice now as the battery ages is that after using the first half of its capacity, if I then put the battery under a more severe load, the capacity as indicated by my display falls away more quickly now.

I also noticed that as I age, now over 60, blasting around a 26 mile mostly off road route in eco and off, means that I get quite tired too!

Que sera sera

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think I have used my battery in a slightly kinder way than you, however all lithium batteries decline slowly as they age.I have been really impressed with this one so far. I will just keep using it until it cannot give me a worth while range, and then consider my options.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
That 745Wh battery looks tempting, but at a price! I have the range to do the rides I do. Only if I wanted to do a much longer ride would I not have the range. That battery dongle looks good too, and would allow me to re cell when they become available.

I did a 16 mile mostly off road cross country ride yesterday, once again using high power to be able to ride up a very steep hill directly to my house from the Station where I can burn through 5% of my battery in a mile.

I also had to pick up the pace considerable to make an earlier train and used more battery doing that.

So in theory at the rate I was using my battery I still had a total range of 37.

I notice I got my calculations wrong in my "Going round in circles" post, and having 48% of my battery left after 26 miles, had a much greater total mathematical range than the 33 miles I stated, and it was in fact 50 Miles. Really good for a 400Wh battery of whatever range, let alone one in its eighth year.

It shows that a crank drive allows you to sip your battery and use your motor only as much as you need to extend your range, or blast through it going as fast as you can like you do.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Going round in circles.....

On Friday the 13th of May,I rode a 26 mile mostly off road circular route on tracks I know well. When I got home I had 48% of my 400Wh battery left, equating to a 33 and a half mile total range if I had carried on riding and also consuming my battery at the same rate.

In truth, as my battery is now over seven years old, I now ride in a way designed to conserve it as much as possible, in eco and off, only using the higher middle assist setting for blasting me back up the steep hill to home right at the end of the ride.

The thing I really notice now as the battery ages is that after using the first half of its capacity, if I then put the battery under a more severe load, the capacity as indicated by my display falls away more quickly now.

I also noticed that as I age, now over 60, blasting around a 26 mile mostly off road route in eco and off, means that I get quite tired too!

Que sera sera
I dont think ive ever used eco setting. Sat in tour for a while but recently become addicted to turbo.
As to extending the life of the battery, given batteries are pretty damn expensive, at least the Bosch ones are. I'm making it a habit of sticking £2 in a box each and every time i put it on to charge. Once the box gets to 100 quid, i transfer that into a bank account, then continue on £2 at a time till the next 100 quid and so on and so forth.
Basic is 500 charges, but i usually recharge at about 50%, so my 2 quids will easily add up to a new battery when that time comes around.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I love the flexibility of an ebike. I rode mine today mostly cross country to the next town to shop at a Lidl that my town does not have. On the ride to The Lidl mostly off road, I only used eco and off, to get some exercise.

My shopping at The Lidl included two bottles of wine and three bottles of beer as well as two bulky bags of cereal and other items. I chatted to one of the staff I know well.

Then I needed to get a shift on to get back to the station to catch the train I wanted and blasted through the traffic to the front of a set of lights using higher power.

Back at my home town I needed a few more items and rode to another supermarket, along the river, enjoying the view and with the power off.

Then after shopping at the second supermarket, and ending up with two full and heavy panniers I blasted back up a winding hill to my home at around 18 miles an hour, up hill, fully laden. This used a disproportionate amount of battery but was great fun.

Used in this way the first 14 miles had used about 27% of my battery, and the remaining 4 miles had used 20%. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

My battery is now in its eighth year and working very well, so looking after them pays off.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
16,000 Miles

Just a quick post to acknowledge that today I broke through the 16,000 mile barrier, having ridden 16,006 when I got back from my ride today.

last year I was using The Haibike to commute to work and back and really nothing else. However I only used it when it was light enough to see so that I could enjoy a cross country ride to work. Any shifts that started too early in the morning were still commuted to by electric bike, but a simple rear hub one rather than the Haibike. So the annual mileage for my commuting to work duties was split between these two bikes.

When I checked how far I had ridden The Haibike over roughly the same period from around the 20th of March to the 27th of June, I found that I have ridden The Haibike quite a lot further since I retired, simply on leisure/fitness rides than I did when I was using it to commute to work. My post retirement leisure riding total is 708 miles from late March to late June in 2022, and 486 miles almost the same period in 2021 when I was commuting to work.

However, all I think that has happened is that the rear hub bike I used to use to ride to work in the small hours is now getting used much less now that I have retired.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id sell the hub bike and use the cash to get your motor serviced and get a new batt and that thing will be like brand new and last another ten years like my bike.

it is only 230 quid to change every bearing but the batt will make a big hole in the bank account but swapping them round now with a new one will keep it going for even longer and will do the same thing with my new 500w batt.

my 400w is down to 5 miles and only 40% left and then it drops so fast id doubt you get another 2 out of it they wont last forever.

Related Articles

Advertisers