Haibike Trekking 2015

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hope to update this with a proper review as the summer months approach. I bought the beautiful Haibike Trekking from Martin at ebikeshop https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/ and a bit like buses it arrived on the very same day as my replacement KTM Macina 2014 model. Also another beautful pedelec.

The pedelec arrived in its massive cardboard box posted to my mum's house on Anglesey as I have no room at all for the box and it simply would not fit into my little terraced house. The bike was already set-up although my biggets problem was wondering how on earth to get this key from the fitted locking bracket on the bike. That feature has become my absolute pet hate and at one point I did try to see if I could lever it off... needless to say the damned thing is built so well I got nowhere with it. Why do I hate it..? It means I need to be organised and remember to take key out to lock bike etc - tendency here not to lock the bike. The key gives the game away quite a bit that the bike is 'electric' to the usually friendly cycling types. Unfortunately any smiles, nods, respect goes out of the window when they realise.. and it is that accursed red key to blame! I had to moan. Hopefully somebody out there in forum lands will let me know how to remove the unit.

The first bike ride home was... bliss. No breakdowns, no issues with the bike at all. I made it home to the other side of Anglesey. It was a lovely ride. I now had 2 days of summer left before I went back to work :(

Since then the Haibike had been my one and only form of transport to and from work - a total of 15 miles at least. I had absolutely no issues at all although I had hoped the bike would have an adjustable (height) stem but it has these ring things. I did try to fit a height adjuster but it did not fit. Basically I am leaning downwards too much and it does hurt my back for longer rides but that it my arthritis issue not the bike's fault. I have also listened to my partner, after him moaning for 15 years, to raise the height of my seat when cycling (I did check on the Internet, so he doesn't get all the credit). I added a Brookes saddle to the bike and despite being second hand off ebay fitted my derriere very well.

So, had been riding my Haibike each working day for several weeks until I came off the bike. My fault completely. I cycled across the road in darkness to get to the cycle path / pavement but misjudged the closeness of a car lights coming towards me and ended up having to change my angle to being a tighter one and clipped the side of the pavement. I flew, slid, rolled and landed by the fencepost in the hedge a few metres away (cycle clothes are great for sliding!) and the fence post is still at an angle today where I came to a stop. (Must take photo). The Haibike went flying the other way towards the other cars but missed fortunately. Two following cars stopped as they thought I must be injured the way I flew and being shaken themselves also thought the first car must have hit me. That first car did not stop. Anyhow - thinking I was fine I carried on, gathered the bike which seemed fine, and set on my way. I only had 2-3 miles left and one big hill. I realised I was shaken up after a few minutes but at same time chuffed I could get up off a bike like when I was a kid after an accident. The bike did not change gear. Fortunately I managed to get up the steep hill, past the hospital and home. Only once I got home did I realise I had a big hole in my knee and quite a bit of blood down the leg. So, off the hospital. Stitches and all that. Could not move the next day and for a week after. Only part of my body that was not bruised and battered was my head as it did not land on anything but I was wearing a helmet which did not get a scratch on it.

So the Haibike has not been used since before Christmas. Having to stare at it for weeks in the lounge. I eventually replaced the little aluminium thing that the rear derailleur hangs onto as it was bent and made the gears go all over the place and jam the chain. That done I needed to adjust the gears and the clickbox. Unfortunately I made a mess of that and noticed some threading on the end cable by the click box which got so much worse by the time I tried to weave a piece of wire back into main cable. It simply does not do that.

Order two new cables from Martin and spare head unit. (long story there). I now open the sram to replace the frayed cable, cutting the cable one end to let the cable out of the sram gear thing on handlebars. I cut the wrong cable!! I asusmed right hand gear would mean right side cable to click box but another goes into the derailleur. Oops. Added to that faux pas I also managed to make two bits jump out of the sram gears. The coil and a little pastic black screw end bit. No idea where they were supposed to go. I now had to open the left sram as I had cut its cable by mistake. Madness. At least I would be able to see where the coil and black bit would go surely? I opened it ever so carefully this time but the accursed same bits flew out of this side also.

A few hours of Youtube and googling gave me an idea where the coiled spring might go so I did that and just chucked the plastic bit in as well for luck :) The gears worked. They changed - they worked. It worked. I cycle my bike for the first time in weeks yesterday. It is still beautiful and I hope to do some meaningful (!!!) review, with photos of bits and things, in future weeks. I have since learnt where the little black bung goes and that is now sorted. Just need to buy new cables off Martin for the next time I mess up.

I have just uploaded a short video of the Haibike - and me - crossing Pont Menai in Menai Bridge a few days before the accident. Testing my Youtube settings etc. Typical of me - no picture of the bike at all in video!

Will need to check how to embed it if it doesn't do it automatically....

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the enjoyable review Wissy, just a shame that you have had so much seemingly bad luck in one hit. Hopefully that'll be the last of it for you. :)

I seem recall your thread about the rear mech hanger, and it's good to hear that you got it sorted.

I can imagine that the bridge crossing could be pretty dodgy when the weather in inclement.

Now looking forward to the next and more importantly 'positive' instalment of your review. :)

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
If I eradicate 'me' then the above would be positive! Absolutely love the Haibike and have got used to the click gears rather than the shifter type which I had on my old KTM and thought I could not do without.

Need to try and find photos of the bike at least for now ;) It has moved to kicthen now to make room for chimney sweep.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Wissy,

It should be possible to raise the bars by fitting an adjustable stem.

They come in different sizes, so you will need to measure the steerer tube and the handlebars to make sure you get the right one.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/99024/products/systemex-25-4mm-adjustable-rise-stem.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CKCo_KqF7MMCFSbmwgodyp4AKg

If you have lots of cash, you could fit a Speedlifter, then your bars would go up and down on a quick release lever, like your saddle does.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/speedlifter-twist-t-10/aid:349713

I know you like to do your own maintenance, but this might be a job for a competent bike shop.

The handlebars and steerer are standard bike bits, so the fact it's an electric bike shouldn't make any difference to the mechanic.

Reactions: wissy

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
The bike was already set-up although my biggets problem was wondering how on earth to get this key from the fitted locking bracket on the bike.
Hi wissy,

Why didnt you ask? No matter how much you try to get that key out, it wont come as its designed to stay in the lock when in the unlocked position. Its a safety feature to stop you losing the key :)

If you don't use the lock, why not take it off altogether? That way you can tuck it away and also use the spare key..

Cheers for the review!
Martin

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
That is what I tried Martin - you did suggest I took it off completely (I did ask!) but I could not figure out how to do it and it does seem a well built feature. Guess it is not meant to come off easily!

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks
Wissy,

It should be possible to raise the bars by fitting an adjustable stem.

They come in different sizes, so you will need to measure the steerer tube and the handlebars to make sure you get the right one.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/99024/products/systemex-25-4mm-adjustable-rise-stem.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CKCo_KqF7MMCFSbmwgodyp4AKg

If you have lots of cash, you could fit a Speedlifter, then your bars would go up and down on a quick release lever, like your saddle does.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/speedlifter-twist-t-10/aid:349713

I know you like to do your own maintenance, but this might be a job for a competent bike shop.

The handlebars and steerer are standard bike bits, so the fact it's an electric bike shouldn't make any difference to the mechanic.

Thanks RobF - I do like the idea of the Rose contraption although the ideal type would be like I had on my KTM Macina 2013 - adjustable up / down with similar lever but also was adjustable forward and back to an extent. I have learnt how to dismantle almost everything on my handlebar by now! ;)

ps Martin... IF you read this have you a suggestion for adjustable thing? Also would the one in RobF's Rosebike link work with my Haibike ie fit?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi RobF - I think that may be the exact one I bought before - did not fit. The screw thing would not attach - not long enough. I am hoping the rose link you gave will fit my Haibike but hoping Martin might pop in and confirm....

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think there may be more dismantling to fit the Rose Speedlifter.

You could do worse than give Rose a ring tomorrow.

I had a query about something and they put me on to one of their mechanics who speaks English.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
So my Haibike. My beautiful Haibike trekking - before I did any damage. I like the shape of it - the frame shape isn;t one of those ridiculous step-throughs (argh!) and being black is nice and discreet. The touch of blue for the brake levers, brake things by wheel and handle grips add a sense of 'cute' and I am very glad they are not pink!

(by the way this review will not have any technical terms whatsoever in it - thingie and whostitcalled will be fine.)

What else do I like about the bike? Oh - the rack is very solid and now that I have bought a collection of allsort of Carradice panniers it gets tested quite often with school files - actually quite amazing what it can carry without my feeling any effect on steering, braking or weight distribution. It takes a while to get all the school work from the panniers that I then struggle to carry them. It carries a hell of a lot of weight it seems without undue effect. Does not feel like my VW Camper van braking which is a good thing........

The side stand. Some people might think this a nonsense piece of irrelevance but this is the only way I can park my bike. Outdoors (thanks employers for Cycle to Work scheme but no consideration whatsoever once you do cycle to work!!) is where the bike is when I am at work. It rests on its side stand and is locked by a chain to the school's caged refuse 'coral'.. I usually have to search for a piace of flat rock or wood to rest the stand oin so it doesn't sink into the grass /mud area. Still, it is away from most of the school kids who would love to ride it about at lunchitmes.. They are already referring to it in Geography lessons it seems as sustainable transport etc...

I usually prefer riding in rain, wind and fierce weather being a Celt but here is a clip of one of those pesky early Autumn days and I am cycling 20 miles or so to see my mum on another part of Mona.

Reactions: TinKitten

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
brilliant idea... Many thanks. I will investigate further! As I am now getting into the youtube enforce unsolicited videos on people mode I think that would make a ncie short movie ;)

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
The next very exciting clip of a camera moving in lanes is second part and getting closer to coast again. There are some nice lanes on Mona for cycling - heaps of them - but they are treated a bit like main roads. On this next stage of same journey I encounter some mud!! Now mud and Haibike trekking tyres do not get on very well..... bit slippery but much to do with my confidence and discovering what level mud I can get through without slipping too much.

One problem I had with Haibike on this day is that it made the ride damned fast and way too blydi easy. ;) I felt as if I was getting places too soon and too fast but hey ho....

I have realised the disadvantage of having camera fixed on bike.. I never get shots of the actual bike. I will learn and use the iphone also I guess. Treat said bike like a stead :)

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
and the next video for you to check fast forward works.... some cure houses on the way - still nice lanes all the way basically. Anglesey renowned for these all over the place.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
And today'r ride is to Beaumaris via Hen LLandegfan. Tried to burn the place down but forgot the matches... Cycling back soon after a little sip of rose :)

Attachments

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
On the way

Attachments

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
And here I am (having to move to catch Welsh 3G)

Attachments

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hope to update this with a proper review as the summer months approach. I bought the beautiful Haibike Trekking from Martin at ebikeshop https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/ and a bit like buses it arrived on the very same day as my replacement KTM Macina 2014 model. Also another beautful pedelec.

The pedelec arrived in its massive cardboard box posted to my mum's house on Anglesey as I have no room at all for the box and it simply would not fit into my little terraced house. The bike was already set-up although my biggets problem was wondering how on earth to get this key from the fitted locking bracket on the bike. That feature has become my absolute pet hate and at one point I did try to see if I could lever it off... needless to say the damned thing is built so well I got nowhere with it. Why do I hate it..? It means I need to be organised and remember to take key out to lock bike etc - tendency here not to lock the bike. The key gives the game away quite a bit that the bike is 'electric' to the usually friendly cycling types. Unfortunately any smiles, nods, respect goes out of the window when they realise.. and it is that accursed red key to blame! I had to moan. Hopefully somebody out there in forum lands will let me know how to remove the unit.

The first bike ride home was... bliss. No breakdowns, no issues with the bike at all. I made it home to the other side of Anglesey. It was a lovely ride. I now had 2 days of summer left before I went back to work :(

Since then the Haibike had been my one and only form of transport to and from work - a total of 15 miles at least. I had absolutely no issues at all although I had hoped the bike would have an adjustable (height) stem but it has these ring things. I did try to fit a height adjuster but it did not fit. Basically I am leaning downwards too much and it does hurt my back for longer rides but that it my arthritis issue not the bike's fault. I have also listened to my partner, after him moaning for 15 years, to raise the height of my seat when cycling (I did check on the Internet, so he doesn't get all the credit). I added a Brookes saddle to the bike and despite being second hand off ebay fitted my derriere very well.

So, had been riding my Haibike each working day for several weeks until I came off the bike. My fault completely. I cycled across the road in darkness to get to the cycle path / pavement but misjudged the closeness of a car lights coming towards me and ended up having to change my angle to being a tighter one and clipped the side of the pavement. I flew, slid, rolled and landed by the fencepost in the hedge a few metres away (cycle clothes are great for sliding!) and the fence post is still at an angle today where I came to a stop. (Must take photo). The Haibike went flying the other way towards the other cars but missed fortunately. Two following cars stopped as they thought I must be injured the way I flew and being shaken themselves also thought the first car must have hit me. That first car did not stop. Anyhow - thinking I was fine I carried on, gathered the bike which seemed fine, and set on my way. I only had 2-3 miles left and one big hill. I realised I was shaken up after a few minutes but at same time chuffed I could get up off a bike like when I was a kid after an accident. The bike did not change gear. Fortunately I managed to get up the steep hill, past the hospital and home. Only once I got home did I realise I had a big hole in my knee and quite a bit of blood down the leg. So, off the hospital. Stitches and all that. Could not move the next day and for a week after. Only part of my body that was not bruised and battered was my head as it did not land on anything but I was wearing a helmet which did not get a scratch on it.

So the Haibike has not been used since before Christmas. Having to stare at it for weeks in the lounge. I eventually replaced the little aluminium thing that the rear derailleur hangs onto as it was bent and made the gears go all over the place and jam the chain. That done I needed to adjust the gears and the clickbox. Unfortunately I made a mess of that and noticed some threading on the end cable by the click box which got so much worse by the time I tried to weave a piece of wire back into main cable. It simply does not do that.

Order two new cables from Martin and spare head unit. (long story there). I now open the sram to replace the frayed cable, cutting the cable one end to let the cable out of the sram gear thing on handlebars. I cut the wrong cable!! I asusmed right hand gear would mean right side cable to click box but another goes into the derailleur. Oops. Added to that faux pas I also managed to make two bits jump out of the sram gears. The coil and a little pastic black screw end bit. No idea where they were supposed to go. I now had to open the left sram as I had cut its cable by mistake. Madness. At least I would be able to see where the coil and black bit would go surely? I opened it ever so carefully this time but the accursed same bits flew out of this side also.

A few hours of Youtube and googling gave me an idea where the coiled spring might go so I did that and just chucked the plastic bit in as well for luck :) The gears worked. They changed - they worked. It worked. I cycle my bike for the first time in weeks yesterday. It is still beautiful and I hope to do some meaningful (!!!) review, with photos of bits and things, in future weeks. I have since learnt where the little black bung goes and that is now sorted. Just need to buy new cables off Martin for the next time I mess up.

I have just uploaded a short video of the Haibike - and me - crossing Pont Menai in Menai Bridge a few days before the accident. Testing my Youtube settings etc. Typical of me - no picture of the bike at all in video!

Will need to check how to embed it if it doesn't do it automatically....

Wissy,

Hope that your ok and doing well, but where has the sound disappeared to? And such enjoyed watchable clips. I love to hear the sound of various motors going through their paces when in motion. Was it a camera defect?

MS.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Being new to youtube I thought best to delete any sound but don't think there was much sound with camera sjcam in its sealed case.. Unless I am doing something wrong?