Review Haibike Trekking 6 Low Step

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I replaced my 2018 Raleigh Motus GT (Activeline Plus) last Wednesday with the Haibike. The Raleigh has been great, and with 7,500 miles on the clock was still in immaculate condition.

I bought my new bike from Ian at I-Psycle, who is just great. The bike was perfectly prepared and there was nothing that needed to be done, apart from a saddle (I love the Selle Scientia that came with my Raleigh) and bell swap.

Why change the bike I loved? A few reasons. I never much liked the look of the bike (I did feel like Miss Marple riding on it) and I wanted something that could handle trails more easily, the Motus was never that comfortable on gravel, though I realise tyres make a difference with this.

With regards to choice, I only wanted to buy a bike from Ian. His aftersales care and enthusiasm is second to none and it gives me a lot of comfort to know that he is there to assist should I need it. I wanted another lowstep as I use my bike a lot and always with panniers. Being arthritic and with a replacement hip (I'm only 52!), these days I find it harder to get my leg over. With said arthritis, I need an upright seating position to avoid shocks going through my arms into my neck; the Haibike's adjustable handlebars provide this for me.

Powered by the Yamaha PW-ST motor, the bike is an epic hill climber! The 70nm of torque is all there to play with, you can certainly feel the extra punch and acceleration when riding in traffic. It's fair to say that the motor is not as quiet as the Bosch Activeline Plus and when changing gears it is important to ease up the pressure on the pedals - if you want to look after your drive train with all that extra torque.

10 days and 140 miles into my ownership, it is fair to say that I am bowled over with my new bike. I rode 45 miles yesterday for chores and to see customers in Wareham and Swanage (I live in Poole). Being pressed for time, I used the STD mode throughout the day and tackled some evil hills. My average speed was 14.5mph with 22% battery remaining. If I was ambling, the range on Eco would be amazing. I am of extremely average fitness, and I feel no soreness today :). Riding through the gravel trail at Upton Park and through gravelly sections of the country roads was a complete joy. The Schwalbe tyres absorb the jolts and there is no need for the suspension post that was equipped on my Raleigh.

On a calm day or with the wind behind me, I could cruise at slightly faster speeds on the Motus; but in reality, my average speeds are greater with the Haibike - the 14.5mph average yesterday was testament to that, I would have been lucky with 12.5mph otherwise.

The Haibike comes equipped with some rock solid mudguards (nothing rattles), a Racktime pannier rack (which is great, as I have a top bag with Racktime adaptor), lights and a decent kick stand. The Yamaha C display is their equivalent of the Bosch Intuvia, but with the benefit of a more accurate clock and joy of joys, a cadence display. It will also show you how many calories you've burnt (1,500 yesterday). There were no attachment points for accessories on the Motus frame, Haibike has this covered with their "modular rail" system if you want to carry a water bottle or pump etc.

A big thank you to Ian from I-Psycle for handing me over to me a bike in faultless condition and for his support over the last four years. He services our bikes annually and will always provide advice regarding maintenance in the meantime. For anyone looking to buy a bike in Dorset, I could not recommend Ian enough.

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone
Have identified a local supplier who was extremely helpful re what sort of power I should be looking for from the motor and also capacity from the battery. ie Battery 650 ah and 85 n for motor
Thanks a lot for helpful contributions
Regards
Ian

Reactions: matthewslack

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
650ah certainly not poss on an ebike, 650h maybe there is a very big difference between quoting ah & wh so one needs to be careful.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
650ah certainly not poss on an ebike
About 152kg? Towed in a trailer would give me about 1,500 mile range. The CF would collapse, the rear bike axle would snap, so I'd better not buy 34 X 19.2ah batteries. Battery outriggers on wheels either side? It'd be legal because struts to the outriggers would be welded to the bike frame...

Last edited: